Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   States that don't allow centerfire rifles for big game (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/states-dont-allow-centerfire-rifles-big-game-43512/)

bobwills 06-06-2011 02:42 PM

States that don't allow centerfire rifles for big game

Howdy. Is there a LIST of states that do not allow centerfire rifles for big game hunting? I wish to consider big game hunting in some other states, but I will not consider them if I can't use my centerfire rifles. I will only spend my money(licenses, guides, gas, food, lodging, etc) in states that allow centerfire rifle hunting. There seems to be many northern or other states that don't allow centerfire rifles!!!

cddbrowns 06-06-2011 02:46 PM

Entire states or certain areas of the states? I know in parts of VA, no rifle hunting at all, while others are fine to hunt with them. Might need to break it down to counties and such before you would completely write off an entire state.

Unless its NY, IL or CA of course, they just suck....

Oh, and please, make your way over to the intro section and introduce yourself.

lonyaeger 06-06-2011 03:19 PM

So there are states that only allow rimfires for big game hunting? :confused:

cddbrowns 06-06-2011 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonyaeger (Post 518591)
So there are states that only allow rimfires for big game hunting? :confused:

Shotgun only, no rifle. But that is a certain county between Richmond and DC here, and I am sure there are a couple others. Reason being, they are afraid a high power rifle round will end up going in someones house.......:confused::confused:

Hawg 06-06-2011 03:35 PM

Mississippi has centerfire rifle. we also have single shot breech loading cartridge guns with smokeless powder during primitive weapons and prolly more deer per capita than any other state.

lonyaeger 06-06-2011 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cddbrowns (Post 518592)
Shotgun only, no rifle. But that is a certain county between Richmond and DC here, and I am sure there are a couple others. Reason being, they are afraid a high power rifle round will end up going in someones house.......:confused::confused:

Ah, thanks. I've only hunted in a few states, Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas all allow centerfire.

steve666 06-06-2011 06:22 PM

Indiana allows only pistol caliber rifles for deer hunting. The next biggest game are pigs, then rabbits.

Boggy5 06-06-2011 08:24 PM

Iowa is a shotgun, handgun or muzzleloader only state. You can hunt the bottom two tiers of counties with a high-power, but only for a certain doe season. I don't think you'd want to spend money to come shoot a doe.

c3shooter 06-06-2011 08:40 PM

Bro, your best shot (pun intended) is to make a list of states you are considering, and then internet search their state game comission regulations- they vary a GREAT deal. F'rinstance, PA does not permit use of semi autos. Virginia has some (flatland) areas that are shotgun/buckshot only, some states require straight walled pistol cartridge type rifles (44 mag, etc)

bobwills 06-06-2011 08:55 PM

Thanks! I was thinking about the midwest US, but guess that I will need to make a list and see what the deal is.