Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Stalking Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2007, 04:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Stalking Questions

I was just wondering if anyone has any stalking tips? How to stay low, out of sight, quiet, and get that good shot on the game?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-03-2007, 07:08 AM   #2

Stalking game is without question the toughest hunting strategy of all. Yet it can be done very successfully. Generations that went before us and depended on successful hunts for survival stalked game.

To have any chance at seeing a critter you have to scout the area thoroughly. Spot and Stalk is not a scouting trip. Neither will you be successful trying to stalk game in an area you do not know and have no clue what the animals are doing or where they are at any time of the day or season.

The best times to stalk game are in the later part of the season when the vegetation died off and in the winter when fresh snow is on the ground. The idea of spot and stalk is to see the animal before it sees you. The best tool to achieve this is a pair of quality 10 x 40 binoculars. Good places to stalk are known feeding and bedding areas.

How to stay low, out of sight?
To start with use a good camouflage pattern, wear camouflaged gloves and face mask. Walk very slowly and not more than two or three steps at a time. Hint; if you cover 100 yards in 15 minutes you walk way to fast. Stop behind a tree or any other structure that gives you some cover and observe the area all around you. Try to pick the landscape apart with you binoculars. Don’t look for a whole deer, look for parts of it such as a twitching ear the white rear end or the flick of a tail. These rests should be at least 10 minutes long before you move on again, that way you have time to look properly and the forest will settle down again. When you advance use the available cover such as trees and brush to cover your movement. Avoid walking in the open or where you’re sky lighted and stay as much as possible in the shade.

How to stay quiet?
Wear quiet clothing, such as fleece. Take the gun sling off to avoid clanking noises. Wear light hiking boots so you can feel what’s under your foot. Before your next step glance at the floor and try to memorize where branches are so you won’t step on them. Set the foot gently on the ground heel first. If you feel a branch or other potential noisemaker under foot shift slowly until the foot clears the obstacle. Should you make a noise stay absolutely still for a minute or two before you move on. Deer make noise too when they move around and wont spook if the sound is natural as does not repeat again and again.

Get that good shot on the game?

How close you have to get to the animal to shoot depends largely on two factors. How far can you comfortably shoot at animals, 100 yards? 50 yards? Only you can answer that question. The other factor is visibility. Is the animal in the open with a clear view for 100 yards or more, or is the animal in the thick stuff where you can’t see for 40 yards. To get that good shot is how ever close you need to get to see a vital area of the game animal and to have a free shooting lane.

"Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"
Outdoors with Othmar Vohringer | SHS Hunting Chat Forum

Old 12-13-2011, 03:19 AM   #3

Location: Big Pool, Washington Co,Peoples Republic of Maryland
Default Stalking Questions

Previous post is full of real good info. In 60 years of white tail, bear and elk hunting I have decided I'm just not the great stalker, I'm too big, too noisy and I always seem to see a lot of tails. I have been very successful in building a ground blind from available sticks and brush, get comfortable and let the critter come to me. Here are this years bucks from PA and MD. Good luck with whatever process you choose.

pa-buck-8-pt-20111-676-x-507-.jpg   md-buck-20112-676-x-507-.jpg  

Old 12-13-2011, 04:06 AM   #4

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

this might sound crazy but no shoes, or if it's cold thick socks and moccasins, also no sling on your weapon or tap it down so it doesn't make any noise. Make sure you have no reflective surfaces like scope lenses wedding ring... etc, If your going to paint your face you need to do a contrast paint like where you would normally have dark spots on your face put a light color there and then blend in the edges of the color.

If your doing this for hunting wear boots but watch where you step if you go to look up stop walking so that way you don't step on the fatal twig, and wear scent blocker, and watch the wind direction compared to where you game is.

I'm not an expert but this is just what I do, it works sometimes other times it doesn't different people do different things these things might work for you they might not, but good luck with your stalking.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 12-13-2011, 04:16 AM   #5

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

All these are great tips. Also one i dont think was mentioned was DO NOT skyline yourself. Also alot more great tips on stalking are in ths issue of F&S. They are from the proven masters of stalking game.

Attachment 36124

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

Last edited by Marlinman; 12-15-2011 at 09:50 PM.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:25 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1719 Times on 894 Posts
Likes Given: 3624

Still hunting.
HowStuffWorks "What is still hunting?"

Old 12-13-2011, 04:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by towboater
Thats a good source of info also tow

Old 12-15-2011, 09:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman
All these are great tips. Also one i dont think was mentioned was DO NOT skyline yourself. Also alot more great tips on stalking are in ths issue of F&S. They are from the proven masters of stalking game.

forumrunner_20111215_165529.jpg

Old 12-20-2011, 02:41 AM   #9

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 44

The color blue to a deer appears like we see floressent orange. Still hunting is pretty much as hunterwriter described in an earlier post. Still hunting AKA stalking

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:22 AM   #10

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by dteed4094
The color blue to a deer appears like we see floressent orange. Still hunting is pretty much as hunterwriter described in an earlier post. Still hunting AKA stalking
Where the heck did you get that info? In not going to say I don't believe it, as I understand enough about how animals differ from us that I do find it plausible, but I want that info source on tap for myself.