Squirrels and rabbits

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Squirrels and rabbits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Squirrels and rabbits

Anyone ever hunted them? Are they good and how do you cook them? Would a .22 work? My dad has told me that there is a certain time of year to shoot rabbits.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-17-2012, 01:09 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Yep, both make for good table fare, as for as hunting goes it was illegal to shoot them out of hunting season or you could hunt them when the gamewarden was out of town......

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 12-17-2012, 11:14 PM   #3

Liked 541 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Always easy to find and good to eat, taste great, less filling! . They are good eat fried, baked, grilled, with dumplings, and soup. 22 LR is the most common weapon used for squirrel & rabbit. A dog or a partner will help with squirrels, when treed they will circle to the opposite side you are trying to shoot from. The squirrels around here have not been hunted and you may get within 10 Ft on the ground from them.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 12-17-2012, 11:18 PM   #4

Liked 541 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Rabbits are easier to hunt in the snow, you have to be careful with them, some will back track when chased with beagles or hounds and shooting at them can be a safety challenge!

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 12-17-2012, 11:42 PM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I agree with tri, rabbit hunting is best after a fresh snow fall. Just thinking about fried rabbit with mashed taters and gravy is making me hungry. As for a gun i almost always grab my old stevens. 22/410 over under

Old 12-18-2012, 01:03 AM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 1 Posts

I love smothered rabbit, of course I'm in south Louisiana so we eat anything that is smothered are fried.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:48 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9359 Times on 4035 Posts
Likes Given: 1470

Remington- pretty sure you are one of our younger members (nothing wrong with that). Reason I mention that, if you have not done so, you should go thru one of your state hunter safety courses. In most areas it is required in order to get a hunting license unless you are an old poop like me.

The course can help answer some questions about hunting (like seasons- you don't hunt in the Spring and Summer- or you will be shooting pregnant game). A responsible hunter also learns the game laws that apply to him, and follows them. Here is a start on some reading for you- http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/regulations/fish_hunt/

Texas has no closed season on rabbits and hares, but there IS on squirrel. And yes, a .22 can work very well for both.

Recipes- both can be stewed, dredged in flour/salt/pepper and fried, or go the crock pot route (instant onion soup mix in the Crockpot)

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:54 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
Remington- pretty sure you are one of our younger members (nothing wrong with that). Reason I mention that, if you have not done so, you should go thru one of your state hunter safety courses. In most areas it is required in order to get a hunting license unless you are an old poop like me.

The course can help answer some questions about hunting (like seasons- you don't hunt in the Spring and Summer- or you will be shooting pregnant game). A responsible hunter also learns the game laws that apply to him, and follows them. Here is a start on some reading for you- http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/regulations/fish_hunt/

Texas has no closed season on rabbits and hares, but there IS on squirrel. And yes, a .22 can work very well for both.

Recipes- both can be stewed, dredged in flour/salt/pepper and fried, or go the crock pot route (instant onion soup mix in the Crockpot)
I already went through the course got the card laminated and all. Im certified
Old 12-18-2012, 03:55 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

And in my county there is no limit and no closed season

Old 12-18-2012, 04:45 AM   #10

Liked 501 Times on 300 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44ablast View Post
I agree with tri, rabbit hunting is best after a fresh snow fall. Just thinking about fried rabbit with mashed taters and gravy is making me hungry. As for a gun i almost always grab my old stevens. 22/410 over under
Mine is like yours and it's great for small game.