Squirrels MIA?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Squirrels MIA?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Default Squirrels MIA?

Hello,

This squirrel season I've not seen but one. I shot it.

Even in Wabash Town, where they usually thrive, they're not near as thick as previous years.

Been hearing the coyotes pretty close, but I've heard that before and it didn't really affect the squirrel population. (The rabbit population was a different story).

I almost wonder if there was a decrease in town and the woodland critters migrated that way for scraps.

Still plenty of deer, to the point I'm thinking of popping one or a few this year to thin the home herd.

Just the squirrels, and to a point, chipmunks, have disappeared.

I'm hoping for a light dusting of snow here soon so I can track with more certainty.

It's been unseasonably warm. It's near December and still reaching into the 60s some days, so I doubt it's a food issue. Good yield from the apple tree this year too. Plenty for the squirrel, deer, and whatever else.

Figure I'll start spreading food in a clearing to see what I can come up with. Help everything through the winter, too. As I teach part-time, I can come up with all sorts of stale biscuits and such from students who work at fast-food joints. The fat content and carbs should help all the critters through the winter.

But I'm off on a tangent.

Anyone know what's happening with the squirrels? Is this countywide, Indiana-wide, or nationwide?

I'd be interested in hearing from folks in Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, and Kentucky as well as Indiana.

Thanks!

Josh

Is it better to live by a corrupt society's standards rather than face persecution for not doing the same? This is the dilemma we now face. We must hold fast to our convictions as we confront this dilemma. Knowing one's self goes a long way in the crisis. - Me

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-16-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5732 Times on 2995 Posts
Likes Given: 379

Lots of squirrels and chippers here but i dont shoot em and neither do my neighbors.

My wife tried to get rid of the chippers but after a few years of failure i finally convinced her to just bribe them off by spreading seed in her flower beds every few days. On chppers bribery works better than brute force

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-16-2011, 03:34 PM   #3

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I haven't squirrel hunted in a long time so I couldn't say for sure.
It could be that you have a very healthy population of hawks and such in your area. I would image that they'd prey on young squirrels.

Last edited by cswann1; 11-16-2011 at 11:47 PM.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:03 PM   #4

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts

Squirrel population seems about the same here, near where the black squirrels of Kent roam. Many years ago some european black squirrels escaped from Kent State University and have been thriving. Got some near my home and the closer you get to Kent, the more you see.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:05 PM   #5

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

TONS of squirrels down this way.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:00 PM   #6

Liked 58 Times on 32 Posts

It may be because of hawks. I've noticed there's alot less in my hunting area this year. Beech and Hickories had a good year, and the weather has been good, but this is also the first year that a chickenhawk has been roosting in the area.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:06 AM   #7
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7174 Times on 4318 Posts
Likes Given: 8749

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Lots of squirrels and chippers here but i dont shoot em and neither do my neighbors.

My wife tried to get rid of the chippers but after a few years of failure i finally convinced her to just bribe them off by spreading seed in her flower beds every few days. On chppers bribery works better than brute force
We have squirrels all over the place, too.

What's a chipper?

Old 11-17-2011, 04:13 AM   #8

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

They have been pretty scarce here too, where there used to be hoards! The neighbor feeds raw peanuts to the birds (the shells end up in my rain gutters) and that usually draws the rodents, but they have been conspicuously missing the past two years.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:15 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Plenty of squirrels down here, though i haven't been out in the woods much this year and none hunting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
On chppers bribery works better than brute force
My lil black rodenticidal kitty would disagree.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:00 PM   #10

I only see them when I don't have my shotgun lol.