Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Squirrel Hunting Tips? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/squirrel-hunting-tips-22508/)

generic 01-23-2010 03:58 PM

Squirrel Hunting Tips?

I need help. There is a big, fat, smart red squirrel (about the size of a small cat) living in the walls of my house and I can't seem to get rid of it.

When I first found the hole, I waited until the squirrel left and I sealed the hole with a steel plate and wood screws. Then, when I come home from work the next day there's a quaint new hole just below the one I sealed.

My house doesn't have an attic, but I'm hearing the thing crawling farther and farther around in the walls and I know it's just a matter of time before it ****s up the wiring.

But the little bastard is too smart for the Havahart live traps I have out; it's repeatedly been able to take the bait and get back out again. It's even sprung the trap a few times and still gotten away with the bait.

And just now I hear it chewing and go outside to find it making a second hole in my wall (ducked back in the walls as soon as it saw me of course). I thought about getting one of those traps that can attach directly over the entrance hole, but now I wonder if he'd just ignore the trap and chew a new entrance.

So, I'm really just left with killing it. I don't want to poison it because I don't want rotting squirrel in my walls. I've been looking at a couple of 1700+fps pellet guns with a scope to get the job done (does that seem like a good choice?), but this squirrel seems uncommonly smart and I've never tried to hunt squirrel before. Does anyone have any tips on hunting these little bastards?

skullcrusher 01-23-2010 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by generic (Post 217274)
I need help. There is a big, fat, smart red squirrel (about the size of a small cat) living in the walls of my house and I can't seem to get rid of it.

When I first found the hole, I waited until the squirrel left and I sealed the hole with a steel plate and wood screws. Then, when I come home from work the next day there's a quaint new hole just below the one I sealed.

My house doesn't have an attic, but I'm hearing the thing crawling farther and farther around in the walls and I know it's just a matter of time before it ****s up the wiring.

But the little bastard is too smart for the Havahart live traps I have out; it's repeatedly been able to take the bait and get back out again. It's even sprung the trap a few times and still gotten away with the bait.

And just now I hear it chewing and go outside to find it making a second hole in my wall (ducked back in the walls as soon as it saw me of course). I thought about getting one of those traps that can attach directly over the entrance hole, but now I wonder if he'd just ignore the trap and chew a new entrance.

So, I'm really just left with killing it. I don't want to poison it because I don't want rotting squirrel in my walls. I've been looking at a couple of 1700+fps pellet guns with a scope to get the job done (does that seem like a good choice?), but this squirrel seems uncommonly smart and I've never tried to hunt squirrel before. Does anyone have any tips on hunting these little bastards?

An air rifle will do the job if the shot is placed right and the correct pellet ammo. Keep in mind that squirrels are also vindictive. They have been known to literally tear apart a game feeder when it runs out of feed.

Build a short feeder. 18"x18" plywood with some 1x around the edge kinda making it a square plate so it will hold seeds or nuts. Attack 4 legs placing it about 12" off the ground and place it near the varmants entrance. It is important to also have a vantage point where you can watch and wait for it to show up. Shot placement is key, heart shot or head shot so it won't be able to get back into the walls after being hit.

Just my suggestion.

jeepcreep927 01-23-2010 05:56 PM

I am with Skull, make sure the little bastard doesn't crawl back "home" before expiring. Setting up a feeder to lure him out is a good plan, but you may want to give him a few days of free lunch to get used to it so he doesn't spook and never come back to it before you get a decent shot.

Just as an aside, commercially available poisons, like those for mice and rats, won't work on a squirrel. Most are designed to make the offending vermin thirsty after they ingest it, therefore they go outside for water and die. Rats and mice can't vomit so even though they know something has gone horribly wrong in their guts, they can't do anything about it. Squirrels on the other, can vomit, so they just expel the poison. Pleasant huh?

jpattersonnh 01-23-2010 06:33 PM

Forget the have a heart. Fill the hole w/ steel wool after he leaves. When it comes back it will tear his mouth up. It won't come back after that. I also have used a regular Rat trap w/ peanut butter. Screw it to the side of a tree. I bagged 6 flying reds that way.

Edit: On the pellet gun, a 1700fps .177 will do it. But, you need to find it in the open. A .22 sub sonic LR would work better.

Highpower 01-23-2010 11:53 PM

Aguila Super Colibri Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 20 Grain Lead Solid Point Box of 50 - MidwayUSA

canebrake 01-24-2010 12:12 AM

Just think of them as a rat with an expensive fur coat.

skullcrusher 01-24-2010 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 217457)
Just think of them as a rat with an expensive fur coat.

LMAO, Cane.

I should have asked if this is just a large red, or a fox squirrel? I wonder if you can post a pic for us who are intrigued by this endeavor, generic? :D

spittinfire 01-24-2010 12:14 PM

Where is ineff? Didn't he want to make a thong?

generic 01-24-2010 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullcrusher (Post 217279)
An air rifle will do the job if the shot is placed right and the correct pellet ammo. Keep in mind that squirrels are also vindictive. They have been known to literally tear apart a game feeder when it runs out of feed.

Build a short feeder. 18"x18" plywood with some 1x around the edge kinda making it a square plate so it will hold seeds or nuts. Attack 4 legs placing it about 12" off the ground and place it near the varmants entrance. It is important to also have a vantage point where you can watch and wait for it to show up. Shot placement is key, heart shot or head shot so it won't be able to get back into the walls after being hit.

Just my suggestion.

I'll definitely try that. I've got a couple a spots around my house that make for a good vantage point. Thanks!

generic 01-24-2010 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpattersonnh (Post 217332)
Forget the have a heart. Fill the hole w/ steel wool after he leaves. When it comes back it will tear his mouth up. It won't come back after that. I also have used a regular Rat trap w/ peanut butter. Screw it to the side of a tree. I bagged 6 flying reds that way.

Edit: On the pellet gun, a 1700fps .177 will do it. But, you need to find it in the open. A .22 sub sonic LR would work better.

Crap, I got the speed wrong, the ones I was looking at were actually 1200fps. I'm not sure the rat trap will work for this guy, he's a lot bigger than a rat and seems to be smarter. I will see what he thinks of the steel wool though. Thanks!