Squirrel Hunting - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Squirrel Hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 05:29 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_x View Post
Well i think realy that the black squirrel is a throw back i think there part of the grey family. genetic throw back. Im no tree rat expert but thats what ive been told. Flying ones are in a family all by there selves. My most memoriable hunt chassing what i thought was a grey i chased him about 100 yrd shoots several times missed rat got mad jumped out of the tree arm streached wide he was a flyer flying right toward my head i side steped a coupl,e times. He earned his right to live that day. lol and left me with a great memory
You should have caught him. Flying squirrels are one of the few squirrels that can be tamed as an adult. Place the squirrel in a paper bag. Light a large cigar and blow smoke in the bag until the squirrel is calm. You can make a leash out of a piece of twine. Flying squirrels will sleep all day in your shirt pocket. At night they become active and can be a lot of fun.

Make sure you don't tie a slip knot around your pet squirrels neck!

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

racer_x Likes This 
Old 11-01-2012, 03:03 AM   #42

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Hey old Crow after you blow smoke up the Flying Squirrles butt and put him in your pocket. What do you do with his little airplane?

Old 11-11-2012, 11:18 PM   #43

Liked 516 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 172

I love to hunt squirrels. We have both reds and grays around here.

I find mornings and mid to late afternoon to be the best times. Days with light or no wind are best. On a real windy day, I find that squirrels will stay in their den/nest and not come out at all.

I also find they prefer the acorns from white oak and bur oaks over the acorns from red oaks. Black walnut and Hickory nuts are favorites as well.

Squirrels have very good hearing and sense of smell. If you are making noise in the woods, chances are you will not see very many squirrels.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:24 AM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Squirrel season starts in a few weeks...may 26th I believe in missouri. Who's goin? I got my small game permit and got a new-to-me 20 guage this weekend so I can be legal to hunt conservation land.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #45

One thing that I have been noticed in Squirrel Hunting is that you show the some patience for it. Because they so active to any type of noise or presence of someone. So, you should avoid any type of troubleness for a good shot.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:37 AM   #46

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop
Here in Florida, fox squirrels are very rare. In fact, they are protected and not legal to shoot in Florida. But, grey squirrels are everywhere. When I lived in Michigan, fox squirrels were predominant in the southern part of the state. As you went north, you would see a mixture of grey and black squirrels with the occasional fox squirrel. In northern Michigan I would often fill a limit with with a mixture all three.
cottontop
A friend of mine who grew up in northern Michigan told me that the black squirrels meat was extremely tough. He said they only killed the fox squirrels for the pot.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #47

Liked 69 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimogden1984 View Post
To clean I used to cut the bottom of the tail, through the meat and bone but not all the way through. Skin up the back an inch or 2. Then you can lay it on its back, stand on the base of the tail and pull up on the back of the legs. If done right it'll peal a strip a couple inches wide all the way to the neck. Then all you have to do is go around the stomach and pull the skin from around the legs down to the ankles. Break ankles and cut. Then cut the head off and the skin and head will all be one piece.
Still sounds complicated!
Spread squirrels' back legs wide, 1 cut from paw to anus, same on other side. Skin around base of tail & use thumbnail to strip tail. No more knife until ears & eyes (we sell the pelt, meat is bait).
29 seconds, while walking to next active feedpile.
On N trapline even used a Sheraden pellet gun, 40 squirrels was average day.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6_5swedeforelk View Post

Still sounds complicated!
Spread squirrels' back legs wide, 1 cut from paw to anus, same on other side. Skin around base of tail & use thumbnail to strip tail. No more knife until ears & eyes (we sell the pelt, meat is bait).
29 seconds, while walking to next active feedpile.
On N trapline even used a Sheraden pellet gun, 40 squirrels was average day.
How much do you get for it? And who do you sell it to?

Old 05-29-2013, 01:19 AM   #49

Liked 69 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimogden1984 View Post
How much do you get for it? And who do you sell it to?
As a ten year old kid with 200 pelts at 75 cents each at the local buyer, and 22 shorts only 45c a box, a young trapper was king!

Now, I checked my last fur returns from NAFA.com and squirrels averaged $1.98. They were all "casualty pelts", getting into my humane fisher & marten sets. I got more fisher than squirrels. When I was about 12 yrs I overnited at an old trappers shack while moose hunting. He came in after dark with a packsack absolutely full of unskinned and skinned squirrels, and a shot lynx. He went into a bluff on hearing a scolding squirrel & saw a big tom lynx up the tree. His squirrel count that day? 107 (no wonder his pelting time was 20 odd seconds)