Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Squirrel Hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 02:49 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks for all the replies, all great advice I just hate that squirrel hunting isnt as popular as it should be

Old 10-29-2012, 03:07 AM   #22

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

My best squirrel hunts have been in groups of 3 or 4 hunters. A squirrel can circle a tree and hide from two hunters. But when you get a larger group there are to many eyes for the squirrel to contend with. We go through a patch of woods once and there is no need to go back. There are only a few squirrels left to repopulate for the next season.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-29-2012, 03:35 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow
My best squirrel hunts have been in groups of 3 or 4 hunters. A squirrel can circle a tree and hide from two hunters. But when you get a larger group there are to many eyes for the squirrel to contend with. We go through a patch of woods once and there is no need to go back. There are only a few squirrels left to repopulate for the next season.
I hunted with friends a few times but always preferred goin alone. Plus if you dont leave any then theres not any squirrels the next year

Old 10-29-2012, 03:54 AM   #24

Liked 4787 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Squirell Hunting is for the lone hunter. The tactics learned in stalking these animals is a training ground for hunters. It takes all the skill and correct rifle shooting to collect squirells. Many hunting legends from D. Boone to Jim Bridger started out hunting these rodents with a rifle.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:31 AM   #25

Liked 662 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Walk into the woods, find a big tree that won't shake when you lean on it, and just grab a seat for about 10 or 15 minutes. Watch the tree limbs and the deck for movement. If you don't see anything, quietly get up and meander about 50 yards or so and do the same thing.
If you spook a fox squirrel just sit easy for a few minutes. They're pretty dumb. They'll sit and bark at you while you put the cross hairs on their head and bag them. Sometimes they'll hit the back side off the tree. Toss a stick to the back side and they'll run right around to you.
Gray squirrels are a bit more on edge and will run like hell or hit a hidden spot in a tree and sit for a few hours.
And in the fall while they are collecting nuts; if you see one at a nut bearing tree at a distance and it skips off quick when you haven't spooked it, it may be collecting nuts. Get close to that tree and hang out for a few minutes. It may be back to get more nuts to hide for the winter.

Even if you spend a day and get absolutely nothing, it's still an amazingly relaxing morning. You see fox heading back home for the day, coons climbing into the trees for their daily naps, and deer and turkey feeding. I got to watch a hawk come down on a chipmunk once. Pretty cool. Every now and again if you get out real early, you'll get stuck at tree while a skunk waddles around in front of you for a while. Keep the gun on safety, sit back, and watch what nature does that you normally never get to see.

I'm not sure I've ever spent a morning in the woods that wasn't spectacular.

image-674857671.jpg

image-3521192224.jpg  

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Last edited by CourtJester; 10-29-2012 at 04:36 AM.
tri70 Likes This 
Old 10-29-2012, 11:07 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 179 Posts

I squirrel hunted for year and probably took hundreds of squirrels. Only one grey squirrel in my life. I don't know if they're not that common in missouri or if they're just that much smarter than their red brothers

Old 10-29-2012, 11:18 PM   #27
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 334 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 602

well...today while hanging out at the house I hear this scratching sound...sure enough a squirrel is trying to chew its way into the basement from outside...I looked out window and there the bugger was. Tomorrow, I will ambush the little bugger with my pellet gun

Member: GOA, NRA

"Nil desperandum (never despair) is a model for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it.” - Samuel Adams

Old 10-30-2012, 12:11 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

http://youtu.be/9Nn0UkdDArM
Take your greyhound, maybe some hand sanitizer too.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:30 AM   #29

Liked 270 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 1204

What i love about a tree rat hunt is the fact i can move. all u gata do is sit an wait me deer hunting the last time i watched 6 tree rats play an have a great time while i played a tree lol . i wont eat a tree rat but i got buddies that love them. when i tree rat hunt its for sombody else

Old 10-30-2012, 12:33 AM   #30

Liked 270 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 1204

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimogden1984 View Post
I squirrel hunted for year and probably took hundreds of squirrels. Only one grey squirrel in my life. I don't know if they're not that common in missouri or if they're just that much smarter than their red brothers
guessing you have ever seen a flying black tree rat? About all i will kill is fox rats.