Squirrel Hunting - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Squirrel Hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 01:58 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 331 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 3

To clean I used to cut the bottom of the tail, through the meat and bone but not all the way through. Skin up the back an inch or 2. Then you can lay it on its back, stand on the base of the tail and pull up on the back of the legs. If done right it'll peal a strip a couple inches wide all the way to the neck. Then all you have to do is go around the stomach and pull the skin from around the legs down to the ankles. Break ankles and cut. Then cut the head off and the skin and head will all be one piece.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:42 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3657

jimogden1984 ..Works great for me. Actually I think its the best way.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:23 AM   #13

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Squirrels are color blind. Wear hunter orange even if deer season is closed. There are always poachers in the woods that want to get an extra day of hunting in. I have a hunter orange vest with a game bag I wear when hunting squirrels, rabbits or woodcock.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 10-19-2012 at 03:25 AM.
orangello Likes This 
Old 10-19-2012, 03:39 AM   #14

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

sometimes you just can't find "that" tree that all the squirrels wanna come to, soooooooooo, here's how to stalk hunt.

actually you are "slippin or creepin" through the woods as quietly and AS SLOWLY as possibly. it's best to get there before daylight, but if you get there and the sun is up, the day ain't ruined. either way, you have to see enough to walk into the woods. IMPORTANT: gettin there early (unless there is a storm brewin), pretty much guarantees you that the wind is gonna be little to no for this way of huntin. if the wind is too hard, you won't be able to hear them cuttin and droppin, or shakin limbs as they move and jump around.

the first thing thatchu do is get into the woods and get still. find the nearest tree, and just squat down next to it, or lean against it. THE SQUIRRELS ALREADY KNOW YOU ARE THERE! don't worry about it, they'll quickly go back to feedin. you might have one barkin @chu, or see one runnin away, but it's okay. whatchu wanna do is just BE STILL until all is quiet, and everyone goes back to bein @ one with nature. LOOK, LISTEN, AND WATCH.

even if you hadjur eyes closed you could hear them jumpin from branch to branch or tree to tree, you'll be able to hear acorns, or pinecones, or cedar balls, or whatever they tend to be feedin on hittin the palmettos or forest floor AND everything in between on the way down.......it's a dead giveaway to their location.

NOW, you will be tempted to "go get" the first squirrel you see, but don't, locate 3 or 4...........you'll see the trees movin off in the distance, or you'll catch a glimpse of them movin thru the trees. with a .22 you have the definite advantage. the reason you locate 3 or 4, is because after you shoot and kill the first one, you know in what direction the other squirrels are. the "POP" of the .22 will only disturb them for a brief few minutes before they go back to feedin.

after you have located and crept up on the squirrel you intend to shoot, (if there are lots of leaves still on the trees) the fun will start. now you have to find a good shot. standin under a 50 foot oak tree for 5 or 10 minutes tryin to "find" a shootin solution to the head is a killer on the neck. DAMN is it a killer. if you are under the squirrel, then it MOST LIKELY doesn't know you are there, so you can move around pretty freely. BUT, try to only move when the animal is movin, that way your movement and sounds will be covered by it's movements and sounds. try to findju a place that's NOT directly under the tree to get a shootin solution, and you won't be gettin any neck and/or shoulder pains.

shoot your squirrel, WAIT about 5 minutes or so (til others "blow the noise off" as nothin), then move SLOWLY to pick up your squirrel. MAKE SURE you are keepin watch the whole time on the other squirrels that you marked earlier. ALSO, make sure and try to get head shots with the .22. a gut shot squirrel, is prolly half of the time a lost squirrel, especially if it can drag itself to a hole in the tree.

now EVERYBODY KNOWS how to "slip" or "creep," but there are better ways. i was taught by my uncle to put the ball of my foot down EVER SO GENTLY, so as to be able to feel for sticks/twigs or light step on DRY leaves. i use this same technique to this day. animals in nature DO crunch dry leaves, BUT SELDOM snap or break sticks/twigs. walkin thru leaves just like you are walkin down the street is a dead giveaway to your position, and is like a fire alarm to wildlife in the area. you'd be lucky to see a bird if you walked like that. so take 10 - 15 seconds to take a full step.........everything is done SLOWLY, DELIBERATELY, AND QUIETLY. if you feel a stick/twig under foot, look down and move your foot, or "feel" with your foot until you are off of it.......CUZ IT WILL DEFINITELY GIVE YOU AWAY. if you snap a twig, loud enough, then you're stuck again, waitin VERY STILL. it takes a while to move around this away, butchu will see more squirrels than you have ever seen before.......................I GUARANTEE THAT FOR A FACT. (DISCLAIMER: UNLESS YOU ARE FOLLOWING BEHIND ANOTHER "GOOD" HUNTER, OR THERE ARE NO SQUIRRELS IN THE AREA I CAN MAKE NO GUARANTEE. )

if you're good enough, and quiet enough, you might take a rabbit or two by surprise too.

BECAREFUL on your "slippin or creepin." slower IS best, but make sure as you are slippin and watchin your other prey that you watch out for snakes. timber rattlers, copperheads, and cottonmouths are still very active, and rattlers have been known to wait @ the bottoms of feed trees for squirrels to come down. SO BE EXTRA CAREFUL WHEN GOIN TO GETCHUR DEAD SQUIRREL.

have fun, challenge yourself with the shot placements....head shots, kill lots, and be safe. REMEMBER, A .22 IS A RIFLE AND SHOOTS A LONG WAYS. KEEP THE BARREL POINTED UP IN THE TREES WHEN SHOOTIN. OTHER HUNTERS ARE HUNTIN TOO.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Last edited by USEBOTHHANDS; 10-19-2012 at 03:42 AM.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5736 Times on 3361 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
Couldn't agree more - they have ruined many a deer hunters day.
And caught countless rounds of buckshot and even a few slugs fired in extreeeeeeeeeeme anger.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #16

Liked 4620 Times on 2300 Posts
Likes Given: 1068

Lucky for you, I am the terminator of the squirrel world.

Camo. They have good eyesight. Good camo includes not moving. The little tree rats will actually come right up to you to investigate.

Evening and morning are best times.

They love corn. Screw a corn cob into a tree so they can't run off with it.

If you have an iphone, download a game call app, the squirrel calls are usually free.

If not, take 2 acorns and rattle them in your hand, this mimics a call.

Hunt where they are. They love acorns and pine nuts.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1184 Times on 773 Posts
Likes Given: 733

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
Camo. They have good eyesight. Good camo includes not moving. The little tree rats will actually come right up to you to investigate.

Evening and morning are best times.

If not, take 2 acorns and rattle them in your hand, this mimics a call.

Hunt where they are. They love acorns and pine nuts.
i disagree. ive seen lots of squrriels at all times of the day. matter of fact my last hunt was from 1pm to 4. and we shot 5 squrriels.
i normally use camo, however ive gone out in jeans, and a rainjacket before and shot them. its more about sound, and movement than anything else.
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:18 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 295 Times on 227 Posts
Likes Given: 132

high tech twist : Two guys from Rod n Gun club used some type of radio headsets to communicate. Squirrels will try to put a tree between them & Hunter, so w radio commo, one of them w walk around the tree to flush the squirrel around to the hunter who is ready to fire.

They have been hunting together for quite some time. They utilized their skills of overwatch & maneuver to give the local teenagers an old fashioned arse whoopen in paintball. Well, until they got tired of being used for Tgt practice. Then the teenagers ganged up 10 to 2 and took them out first on the last game of the day. Who says kids these days can't learn new skills ? .

Last edited by Gonzilla; 10-20-2012 at 06:20 PM.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:58 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5736 Times on 3361 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
high tech twist : Two guys from Rod n Gun club used some type of radio headsets to communicate. Squirrels will try to put a tree between them & Hunter, so w radio commo, one of them w walk around the tree to flush the squirrel around to the hunter who is ready to fire.
That is what your dog is for; even the dumbest dog i've ever had would stand on the side of the tree the squirrel was in and look at it. Tag-team FTW!

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #20

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

aaawww........give em a sporting chance

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll63/sniper762/HUNTING/25AUTOKILLS.jpg