Squirrel Hunting
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Squirrel Hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 06:36 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Squirrel Hunting

I just purchased a 22 rifle to squirrel hunt and target shoot with. I have researched squirrel hunting on the internet and here at home in NC there are many squirrels right in my front yard the problem is that I cannot hunt in my front yard (yes, technically i can i know) butwhen I go to hunt in the woods, I dont see very many if any at all. When is the best time to hunt, and are there any special tips you can give me? Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #2

Liked 106 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Find a nice big oak in an area with lots of acorns. Sit at the base of the tree be still and keep an eye out. The ones in the woods are not used to people and will generally vanish before you even see them. If you sit still it won't take long and they will feel safe again and be out and about. It's hard if there are still leaves on the trees but after awhile you train yourself to see any little movement. It is a hoot!

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Old 10-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 283 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Had this problem growing up - Tree rates are smarter than most people give them credit for. My advice - cameo, squirrel call help but the real secret to success is to buy a quality pellet rifle and take them out right in the yard.

Neighbors might even thank you cause if they get into your house - God Help You !

Old 10-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Remember to dress and act as if you are there hunting deer; you will be over-freakin run by tree rats.

I forgot, know how to peel the things. Some idjut started an apartment fire burning the hair off a squirrel to cook it. I suggest a quick removal of head and feet and tail then peel out towards the missing head and tail from a slit in the center of the back. IMO, headshots save a mess.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 10-18-2012 at 07:44 PM.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:49 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts

I was planning on head shots, I know a few people around here that live in the country and shoot squirrels off their porch. Grey squirrels you really have to sneak up on anyways. Whats the best squirrel call?

Old 10-18-2012, 11:52 PM   #6

Liked 1654 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper View Post
I was planning on head shots, I know a few people around here that live in the country and shoot squirrels off their porch. Grey squirrels you really have to sneak up on anyways. Whats the best squirrel call?

Here squriliee squiriliee, Here squririlieeeeeeee

(sorry, I just couldn't help myself)

I agree, with the post about acorns, still and quiet. They will come to you.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

People Like This 
Old 10-18-2012, 11:53 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 283 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Remember to dress and act as if you are there hunting deer; you will be over-freakin run by tree rats .
Couldn't agree more - they have ruined many a deer hunters day.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:02 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 179 Posts

I used to go bright and early in the morning. It will be easier when the leaves are gone, keep a sharp eye out for movement and a lot of times the lil guys will see you first and just hide on the other side of a tree. I haven't squirrel hunted in years, might have to try and get out there this year

Old 10-19-2012, 12:08 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1177 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 710

squrriel hunting ishard. there are 2 ways that i have seen work.

1. find a place with lots of shells, acorn, walnut, hickory. sit down and enjoy the hunt.

2. stalk slowly around the woods, especially where you see sign. sometimes constantly moving is as good as being still.

i prefer number 1 but have seen both work great. the key is finding where they are.. empty shells, tree nests that sort of thing.

as far skinning them, heres what i do.

start a back of neck and cut to make an opening.
cut skin away from meat, moving from neck to shoulders, around shoulders to lower leg. sometimes you can pull the skin away. sometimes you have to cut it.
seperate until skin is around the foot knuckle, bend and cut at that join. then cut around and dislocate shoulder joint. repeat step for other front leg.

skin down the back bone to the back legs and repeat the process for front legs.. if you feel like you want more, cut around the guts, de gut it. now the hard part, cut,bend ,snap and break the back bone where the ribs end, and at the pelvis for an extra chunk of meat...

have fun.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Last edited by jjfuller1; 10-19-2012 at 12:10 AM.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:31 AM   #10

Liked 106 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 34

For cleaning (head shot) I cut a hole in the center of the back, work two fingers in from each hand and pull apart. Keep pulling until you have a "shirt" and "pants", work the legs out to the paws, cut off the head and feet (the shirt is off) just cut the feet on the pants then keep pulling to get the tail out. That way you have a boneless tail to cut off the pants (Mepps will buy them for their spinners) Then cut the tail off, gut it like anything else and cut into 1/4s. I prefer to take the ribs off because if you make a stew they tend to fall off anyway and you can end up with little ribs floating in your stew plus there isn't any meat on them anyway. One gray will feed a person with fixins.
Note: if you don't do a head shot this system can leave you with 1/2 a squirrel in each hand with a mess in between.

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer