Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Squirrel hunting (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/squirrel-hunting-106790/)

GonzoLonzo 05-06-2014 03:15 AM

Squirrel hunting

Hey guys, looking for some help here. I have only been hunting about 3 times waaaayyy back when I was young:D. And that was once for deer and the rest were javalina. My daughters have been wanting to go hunting and I was thinking of starting them and me with some squirrel hunting. Here in the county I live, open season is year round. Now I remember being told not to hunt during summer because of all the bugs on the squirrels. Is this true? Should I wait until winter or is there a safe way to do it. I also remember to check the liver for spots. Any other advice you can throw my way?

Shoobee 05-06-2014 04:21 AM

Check to see if you live in a plague risk area. If you do, then don't hunt or touch rodents (which includes squirrels).

Check ANY mammal's liver for disease spots. And if infected, throw it away (or leave it there for the buzzards).

Squirrel tastes pretty good, you just need to cook it for a long time, such as bake or simmer it, or broil it with water in the pan. Liver is good, heart is good, kidneys are good too.

When you cook it right it tastes a little like dark meat turkey wings.

I use sea salt and pepper with onions and carrots in the broiling pan.

nchunt101 05-06-2014 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoLonzo (Post 1570921)
Hey guys, looking for some help here. I have only been hunting about 3 times waaaayyy back when I was young:D. And that was once for deer and the rest were javalina. My daughters have been wanting to go hunting and I was thinking of starting them and me with some squirrel hunting. Here in the county I live, open season is year round. Now I remember being told not to hunt during summer because of all the bugs on the squirrels. Is this true? Should I wait until winter or is there a safe way to do it. I also remember to check the liver for spots. Any other advice you can throw my way?

I wouldn't eat a squirrel until you have a good hard frost. Th
ey can be infected with Bot Fly Larva.

Eagle1803 05-06-2014 01:03 PM

you can hunt Squirrel, they will probably have ticks and stuff on them, check the liver, and if okay chow down:D

GonzoLonzo 05-06-2014 01:40 PM

nchunt, that vid was nasty. I had never heard of a bot fly. I can't wait to show that vid to my wife.

Eagle, thanks for the info.

Shoobee, I never heard of plague risk areas but I'll look into that.

Thanks, guys

Triumphman 05-12-2014 01:36 AM

Throw some different size cans on the ground, and nailed to good tree at various distances( 10yd out to 75yds) and have them keep practicing to show them that hunting can be at various distances/angles to give them a good feel for it.

Watch out for Squirrels as mentioned above in warm/hot months due to ticks/fleas/flies.

Glad somebody found some 22LR. Can't find any where I'm at, so I've been stockpiling up with 17HMR, which is plentiful and retired my 22's. Yes, I can order some(if not OOS), but I'm not gonna play that game.

limbkiller 05-13-2014 11:57 PM

Jeez guys! Buddy just go hunt them and have a good time chasing a critter through the woods. Animals will have parasites like fleas on them in the middle of winter. They are fun to hunt and if the critter has bot flies you have the choice of cutting around where it is or throw it out. Been hunting them for years. We used to have squirrel camp back in the day before there where many deer around. Great excuse to be in the woods, and take a young one with you.

deg 05-14-2014 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limbkiller (Post 1575241)
Jeez guys! Buddy just go hunt them and have a good time chasing a critter through the woods. Animals will have parasites like fleas on them in the middle of winter. They are fun to hunt and if the critter has bot flies you have the choice of cutting around where it is or throw it out. Been hunting them for years. We used to have squirrel camp back in the day before there where many deer around. Great excuse to be in the woods, and take a young one with you.

I think I am siding with limbkiller

Axxe55 05-14-2014 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deg (Post 1575248)
I think I am siding with limbkiller

me too!:D

i'd like Shoobee to explain more about these plague risk areas he was talking about.

deg 05-14-2014 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axxe55 (Post 1575251)
me too!:D

i'd like Shoobee to explain more about these plague risk areas he was talking about.

Me too, I ain't saying they don't exist, but I have never heard of them. Time for class Shoobee....