Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Son's First Deer. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/sons-first-deer-33143/)

Shade 10-17-2010 03:43 AM

Son's First Deer.

1 Attachment(s)
Last weekend was the Youth Gun Season in Wisconsin.

My eldest is 11 and he shot his first Buck, okay it was a
Button Buck. He is very happy and Dad is pretty damn
proud of him too.:D

Gun: Marlin 336C chambered in .35 Remington

Cartridge: .35 Remington, 20.5 gr of IMR SR 4759
Bullet: Speer .357 158 gr Deepcurl (Handgun Hunting)

Range: 20' (yup feet not yards)

He was very calm quiet and motionless and the deer
just kept walkin' up to us.

Wisconsin passed a new regulation for 10 and 11 year olds
last year. It is their mentor hunting program.

Shade 10-17-2010 03:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I can not get away from not mentioning my 8 year old. He
was with me and a friend at the range a few weeks ago...

sarge_257 10-17-2010 04:03 AM

Boys and hunting

I too am proud of your son. And also proud of you for introducing him to a sport that will not only feed his family but produce some of the best of memorable times for him to tell his kids some day. I have been a Hunter Safety Instuctor since 1968 and helped establish the first state wide Hunter Education program in my home state of Missouri. I taught over 2000 students while living n Missouri and then moved to Colorado. I just retired from teaching and my record here in Colorado shows that I have taught 12,000 students. As I look back and wonder how the time passed so fast, I am happy I have had the privilige of making father-son and father-daughter into hunting buddies.
Sarge

pabstman 10-17-2010 12:44 PM

Congrats to your son! Looks like you are going to have to stay on your toes or maybe get showed up in a few years. I have a few years to my kids are old enough and can't wait.

Shade 10-17-2010 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pabstman (Post 369564)
Congrats to your son! Looks like you are going to have to stay on your toes or maybe get showed up in a few years. I have a few years to my kids are old enough and can't wait.

They can show me up all they want, I can always claim
that I taught them... :D

winds-of-change 10-17-2010 03:24 PM

Great job to you and your children. Whatever it is that your 8 year old is shooting.......I want to shoot it, too. What kind of gun is it?

doctherock 10-17-2010 04:57 PM

Winds of change his 8 year old is shooting an AR-15 platform which fires .223 or 5.56 ammunition. Good lookin boys you have there and a nice deer as well. Hope he continues with the sport.

Shade 10-17-2010 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change (Post 369612)
Great job to you and your children. Whatever it is that your 8 year old is shooting.......I want to shoot it, too. What kind of gun is it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by doctherock (Post 369655)
Winds of change his 8 year old is shooting an AR-15 platform which fires .223 or 5.56 ammunition. Good lookin boys you have there and a nice deer as well. Hope he continues with the sport.

Yes, AR-15, it is a Bushmaster with a bull barrel I use for rifle matches,
hunting and just having a ball of fun and yes it is chambered in 5.56 Nato
(aka .223 Rem) which I reload.

spittinfire 10-17-2010 11:35 PM

Outstanding!! Great story and great memories.

DrumJunkie 10-18-2010 12:31 AM

That will be the best deer he'll ever take home with him. The first one is a huge deal for any hunter.

Be proud Dad, you have the boys on a good track. I'm sure you will be thanked many times over with fresh meat and the many returns of teaching a kid something that can be of a great help later.

I know if it was me I'd sure be glad I knew how to hunt if a time come that I had to hunt or be hungry.;)