So, how much..

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > So, how much..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 08:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 791

Default So, how much..

Shooting off the bench, supported, equate to putting meat on the table in the real world?.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-14-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2381 Times on 1286 Posts
Likes Given: 685

You mean you dont have an off road shooting bench?

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:54 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I think it can definately help but shooting from a bench is not like real world hunting because rarely do you get to take a shot from such a comfortable position.
I think where it helps is the fundamentals. You practice your breathing, sight picture, trigger pull, etc.....You also become more familiar with your weapon and the load you're using. I know that when the barrel on my 30-06 gets hot it starts moving high and left. If you let it cool off your POI is right where it should be.

Once I get a rifle sighted in I like to get warmed up with a 22 or something and then take that first shot as if I were attempting to take game. That first shot is the one you need to watch and know.

So my long winded answer is, yes.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-14-2011, 08:57 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I would say 40/60, maybe 30/70.

You have to know where the rounds will impact and you need to be familiar with the weapon in operation and trigger control.

If you practice only known distances than you will be a strict disadvantage when you get into the field.

If however you shoot from a bench at fun target like baseballs and golfballs that roll and change distance and direction, you can add to your base skillset that will allow you to make small changes in the field that could lead to a killshot.

Facts being facts, there is a good 8" or 10" spot where you punch a round and put a good sized animal down. If you can't hit that spot with regularity because you are afraid of the recoil, can't make the adjustments for distance and wind, you risk injuring the animal. Setting of a bloody tracking scenario that leaves the meat ruined because of adrenaline and God knows what else, an animal dying a slow and painful death and your hunting buddies cursing you for days because of the hump they had to go on to find "your" kill.

The worst "hunters" are the ones that store their gun for 357 days, never touch it, take it out the week before hunting season, put three rounds through it to make sure the scope is "on" and proceed out into the woods.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:30 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5995 Times on 3136 Posts
Likes Given: 428

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
The worst "hunters" are the ones that store their gun for 357 days, never touch it, take it out the week before hunting season, put three rounds through it to make sure the scope is "on" and proceed out into the woods.
yeah those are the ones i enjoy the most at the range!! much humor to be had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Shooting off the bench, supported, equate to putting meat on the table in the real world?.
ideally i would love to have a place to shoot that involved different positions random ranges odd ball targets but i am limited to a formal range max 300 yards. i make the most i can out of my bench shooting time. since it is the only public range that allows rifles that is worthwhile i dont want to break the rules and get kicked out. sometimes you gotta make the best of what ya got.

but ive aso get a lot of clean kills on doe.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-14-2011, 09:52 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post

Facts being facts, there is a good 8" or 10" spot where you punch a round and put a good sized animal down.
:
For this reason elevation adjustments can be almost completely eliminated if game is being taken inside 300-400 yards, depending on what cartridge is being used. Knowing your bullet trajectory is essental to make this work but it's not hard.
Windage is a different story.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:07 PM   #7

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 791

Just asking!! On another forum some think that 2.5" @100 yards off the bench w/ factory ammo eqauls meat in the freezer. To much comes into play. Roll the dice!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:13 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9516 Times on 4094 Posts
Likes Given: 1497

Depends on what I hunt. Squirrels? Open sighted 22 rifle. Deer? Hunting thick cover, 50 yds is a long shot- that to me is shotgun or revolver country. Bunnies? .410 or 20 g pump, and let the games begin! Long range deer? Seated, using shooting sticks if I can. My benchrest rifle and my hunting rifle are not the same gun- different purposes. Groundhogs? Prone, bipod, watch the alfalfa or beans for the wind.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:30 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

That will drop a deer all day long in my neck of the woods but can the guy make the same shot hanging out of a tree stand in 15 degree weather with the sun in his eyes while taking a shot of bird crap to the forhead?

Old 02-14-2011, 10:38 PM   #10

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
For this reason elevation adjustments can be almost completely eliminated if game is being taken inside 300-400 yards, depending on what cartridge is being used. Knowing your bullet trajectory is essental to make this work but it's not hard.
Windage is a different story.
I would agree with you almost 100% but we are talking a cold bore shot, which throws a lot of shooters off.

If you get your rifle sighted in at, say, 200 yards - but you achieve that after 10 shots, your Point of Impact isn't going to be the same when you pull that rifle off your shoulder and line up your first shot two weeks later.

Will that put you out of an 8 or 10 inch circle? Probably not, but trying to take game at longer ranges for the cartridge in question, like a 300 yard shot with a .45-70, is going to make all the difference in the world.

I agree that trajectory is very important and you can't know that unless you practice.