Snowshoes: any recommendations.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Snowshoes: any recommendations.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2013, 04:19 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 232 Times on 148 Posts

Default Snowshoes: any recommendations.

I need recommendations for brands and models of snowshoes. I know I need 36-inchers, due to my weight.

I intend to use them to hunt wolves in the mountains around Salmon, Idaho. So with gear , I'll be moving 250-lbs, and around 300-lbs if I'm successful and packing out a pelt, through rugged terrain.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-27-2013, 06:23 AM   #2

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

You are a Wolf hunter in Salmon, Idaho? You are going to hunt wolves in the Mountains? Don't you know that heavy snow pushes the "Big" game down and they migrate to lower elevation for the winter. The wolves, lions, coyotes, crows and magpies follow these herds down?
Why would anyone hike on snow shoes in the mountains in the winter? Hunting wolves? And if you live in Idaho why would you be asking outsiders about snow shoes?

Old 12-27-2013, 09:24 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 232 Times on 148 Posts

Because wolves tend to stay away from humans, they may come down, but not too far, and rarely do they get close to roads. They will back off a mile or more at the sound of a vehicle.

So, you can't hunt them from the comfort of your car, or snow machine. You have to get out and go back from the roads.

So far as asking others for input: there aren't any sold locally. The stores In Missoula tend to market to the yuppies and hippies, and sell pretty much Tubbs. Which are a good shoe, but tend to be high priced. Since I have to buy them online, it seems that I might be able to get recommendations for high quality shoes normally only sold regionally.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8862 Times on 3838 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

Unfortunately, I have not snowshoed since 1971. And my goodness, how they have changed since then!

However- just a thought- I always preferred cross country skis over snowshoes- easier to get around in deep (and I DO mean DEEP) powder, and cover ground with a LOT less work.

Donated my skinny skis to the thrift store when I left Colorado. At my altitude in VA we get deep snow about once a century.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.