Smallest/Lightest .22 for hunting - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Smallest/Lightest .22 for hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2009, 11:33 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Henry bolt rifle
Chipmunk
Crickett

All single shot youth bolt rifles weighing about 3 pounds.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 12-13-2009, 12:26 AM   #22

That Rossi would be a cool option (and good price) if it had a folding stock or something.

Come to think of it, this might just be the best option size wise.. Kel Tec

Old 12-13-2009, 12:28 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
Henry bolt rifle
Chipmunk
Crickett

All single shot youth bolt rifles weighing about 3 pounds.
I think I may have seen these at the local gun shows

Old 12-13-2009, 12:55 AM   #24

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Rossi also has the thumb hole stock pistol grip that holds 5 rounds of 410 and the barrels can switch in less than a minute. What i like about mine is Iv'e shot 410 slugs and # 6 and # 4 shot it is minute of soda can at about 35 yrds so if you need dinner it will feed ya. Also the 22 ain't bad either. If you're looking for a light walk about or possible SHTF gun this should work. If not Definitely get the Henry as mine has NOT let me down!!!

Old 12-13-2009, 01:02 AM   #25

Yeah, the Henry definitely seems like a great option the way it stores in the stock at only 16 inches.

So guys, any more options out there since I'm just doing my research now.

Also, any tips on a compact scope for these? Maybe something with a quick mount option for picatinny rails, just in case I get a gun that has rails.
Something 2-6x or around there. Maybe a zoom.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:47 AM   #26

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

The Henry receiver is grooved for scope but once you put on a scope it takes away the compact of it. It won't fit in the stock. I leave the scope on mine and stow the barrel and have not had a problem, also put a small bag of 50 rounds of ammo in the stock . The Rossi you have to add a scope base to accept scope mounts to mount the scope but it all fits in the carrying bag and you don't have to re-zero when you re-mount the barrel . For hunting both are really OK. One thing about the Henry the stock peep sights are kinda ok but are sorta tough after 25 yards. To be UN bi oust the Rossi sight are hard to site in the fiber optic's as the Henry . The Rossi uses Weaver mounts which might give you the optional rails to add or use quick dis connect and re mount scope .

Old 12-13-2009, 01:56 AM   #27

Well, I used to be a good shot but I much prefer a scope rather than iron sights that at 50 or 100 yards pretty much the target. I hate that. Now, IF I were to get say the henry, I wouldn't just carry the rifle itself, I would keep it in a back pack or something so I could either just wrap them in a towel with the scope already on it or have some kind of scope that would be easy to mount. Is there such a thing that would fit the henry and how about something with a quick mount/lock that will fit a picatinny in case I go for say the kel tec?

Old 12-13-2009, 02:08 AM   #28

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

I might be wrong !!! but there were mount's that fit the grooved receiver and still gave the option of quick removal and re install but I'm not sure if it was made for a 22. If you want a picanny rail I don't think they made it for the Henry.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:12 AM   #29

Well, it's not about wanting a rail but first, if I buy a rifle, I have yet to decide which one and IF I buy one that has picatinny, that's what I'll have to buy a scope for like the kel tec and a modified ruger charger.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:48 AM   #30

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Depending on how much you want to spend , the Henry will cost you less and the others will cost you more . If you want a ammo burnin machine the other's 1022 or Ruger will suit your purpose or any AR or AK Clone.