Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Small game trapping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default Small game trapping

I am interested in getting into it, it seems pretty cheap and fun!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-14-2012, 11:48 PM   #2

Liked 1915 Times on 1143 Posts
Likes Given: 409

Trapping is pretty challenging. I got into it to deal with a beaver problem at a church that was having its parking lot threatened by the rising water from the beaver dams.

You have to do a lot if scouting to figure out movement bottlenecks and patterns. Learn the behavior of the target species. Learn about real scent control for some species like foxes and coyotes that will smell out a trap if there is any hint if scent in the area of the trap. Then check out the laws in your area, most require daily checking if traps and carrying a firearm and catch pole to dispatch live animals or release non target animals that may get in a trap and not be in season.

Then getting into hide processing I'd another pile if work. Skinning, fleshing, drying and tanning hides is a job itself. If you do it for a whole season you will appreciate how hard trapping and the work is that goes into it.

Lots of folks think trappers are lazy. They have never tried trapping. It's easier to get an animal into shooting range than to get one to step inside a 4 to 6 inch circle.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:07 AM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I've got an infestation of bunnies and other small animals in my garden. Last year I chased them out with a Daisy Rider; but now that I have my hunting license I'll get some tags and I can shoot a .22 on my land so I am all set. I am mostly doing it for the meat because the few I got were really good!

Old 10-15-2012, 12:15 AM   #4
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5511 Times on 2725 Posts
Likes Given: 5857

I did lots of muskrat trapping when I was young, good money, lots of work, especially in the cold of upstate NY. Its fun but lots of work.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:25 AM   #5

Liked 696 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 224

I enjoyed trapping when I was young in Minnesota. I trapped fox, coon, and muskrats.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:30 AM   #6

Liked 1915 Times on 1143 Posts
Likes Given: 409

If it's rabbits you are after then there's a few way to go after them. First check your state laws on legality of trapping, seasons, bag limits, license requirements etc.

Snares along a worn rabbit trail can work or noddy grip traps like a #110 body grip trap work well. Cage traps can work on rabbits as well. Again check on the legality of trap types in your state. not all states allow trapping. Some only slow cage traps and ban snares or foot hold traps or body grip traps. Some require tags with your trapping permit number on each trap. Some allow it on private property only. Some will issue different nuisance trapping permits for use in your own property at a lower rate and with fewer restrictions.

If you are trapping on your own property then it can be easier than finding land to trap on and having a dozen traps spread over several acres to check each day. You do need to be careful of possibly catching neighbors pets I'd you live in close proximity to other homes.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:49 AM   #7

Liked 1109 Times on 720 Posts
Likes Given: 1981

I have found that building funnels of downed brush etc , and using conibear traps work fabulous . We have a lot of trouble with varmits getting into our buildings at work so we got a special permit that allows us to trap yr around . we catch , skunks, coons and ground hogs . I think the tally total since july is 19 varmits

Old 10-15-2012, 02:57 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sounds like you could use a "live trap". Basically a 3 foot long by 1 foot wide and high cage that has a trap door at the front. Your bait goes in the back where the trigger is located. When the animal goes for the bait it hits the trigger in the process. I watched my grandfather use it numerous times(he was a licensed trapper here in La) and I've caught animals as well. Obviously "live" meaning it won't kill the animal unless ya leave them in it long enough to starve them down.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #9

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

A simple box trap will catch all the bunnies you can eat. When I had beagles I needed a steady supply of live rabbits to train puppies. Just two box traps provided me with all the bunnies I needed to give my puppies the confidence they needed to do something besides run behind the older dogs and bark.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #10

Liked 3680 Times on 1756 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Make sure you know your local laws first.

Disclaimer out of the way, a big rat trap (tied or staked to the ground) works great!