Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Small game hunting (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/small-game-hunting-61934/)

marine04 04-06-2012 01:18 AM

Small game hunting

Like to hunt a lot of small game mainly squirrel and I saw a ballistics test on the cci mini mag .22lr rounds looked pretty sweet. I put 100 rounds through my rifle to compare it with some other ammo I have and it performed tons better than anything else I shot with 0malfunctions out of 100 rounds but haven't shot anything with it. Has anyone used it on squirrel? If so what kind of stopping power does it have with a body shot? The solid nose stuff I was using wasn't great because I was having to track it my squirrel down after a body shot.

atic45 04-06-2012 01:22 AM

Anyone have any input on a Taurus 845?
Looked at one the other day and fell in love it with.

c3shooter 04-06-2012 11:34 AM

Atic- please post over in the handgun section. You are usurping someone else's thread. (have waited all week to use that word)

CCI makes good ammo- reliable, accurate, consistent. Folks were squirrel hunting with 22's a LONG time before the super-duper golly gee .22 Macerator Magnum Cobra Death Nuclear BioHazard ammo was ever thought of.

For a body shot, find a good .22 Hollow point. Does NOT have to be a Stinger, Viper, or Yellow Jacket. However, IMHO, you damage a lot of meat with a body shot on a squirrel (and I mainly shoot them for the skillet). A head shot with any 22 ends the discussion with the squirrel.

Of course, to prevent damage to the fur, I always shoot them thru the eye. Have to make sure I have the proper angle so bullet passes out of the other eye. :rolleyes:

Model70 04-06-2012 01:24 PM

Do you really keep and eat squirrels?

I guess I don't really know about meat damage... I was just gonna say I love CCI 22 rounds...

hiwall 04-06-2012 02:00 PM

Squirrel is fine meat. Why would you take anything other than head shots? The first (and only) time my wife went squirrel hunting she made all head shots. She only stopped shooting them when I said " are you going to eat all these?"

JTJ 04-06-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiwall (Post 763464)
Squirrel is fine meat. Why would you take anything other than head shots? The first (and only) time my wife went squirrel hunting she made all head shots. She only stopped shooting them when I said " are you going to eat all these?"

Did you make her gut and skin them?:)

hardluk1 04-06-2012 03:01 PM

I use stardard velocity ammo with solids for tree rats. never had problems killing them and typicaly more accrurate then "faster ammo". Allway shoot for the head don't allways hit it but it stops them just as well if a shoulder hit. better ammo can mean better accuracy too. Federal 722b and wolf/sk

primer1 04-07-2012 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Model70
Do you really keep and eat squirrels?

I guess I don't really know about meat damage... I was just gonna say I love CCI 22 rounds...

I personally don't hunt them because it takes time to clean a few for little meat. I have had a squirrel pot pie, some of the best eating in my life. It was a homemade crust, filling with fresh veggies, etc. I would KILL for some more of it. A squirrel, of course.

kryptar19 04-07-2012 04:42 AM

CCI makes the best (IMO) .22LR ammo. However, it is the worst for shooting tree rats. Too much meat damage. The Winchester bulk hollow points have been the best that I've used.

If your not gonna shoot 'em in the head at least shoot in the ribs, not much meat there.

303tom 04-07-2012 02:21 PM

Wish I could help, but I use a .410 on small game.............