Shoulda shot the coyote - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Shoulda shot the coyote

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2011, 12:10 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Boy Illinois is screw up in so many ways with hunting and carry laws.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:51 PM   #12
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2536 Times on 1240 Posts
Likes Given: 1272

Win73,

A lot of it depends on the state you are in and the hunting pressure that has been on the deer in the area. Last week while deer, pig and coyote hunting in Texas the following happened. I will also add that the deer where I hunt are also very curious of anything. I was watching two does and a young spike buck when they went instantly on full alert! Then all looked in one direction and kept staring. Then tails went up with the normal huff huff sounds broadcasting danger or fear and they all three ran away. Watching closely I saw a big coyote. I shot the coyote with my 6.5 Grendel and killed the Yote. In 15 minutes here came all three of the deer back to the original location. (Curiosity since they still had never seen me or winded me. Stomping their feet and coming near they were walking around smelling the air and approaching cautiously. But they did come back.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:41 AM   #13

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03
Win73,

A lot of it depends on the state you are in and the hunting pressure that has been on the deer in the area. Last week while deer, pig and coyote hunting in Texas the following happened. I will also add that the deer where I hunt are also very curious of anything. I was watching two does and a young spike buck when they went instantly on full alert! Then all looked in one direction and kept staring. Then tails went up with the normal huff huff sounds broadcasting danger or fear and they all three ran away. Watching closely I saw a big coyote. I shot the coyote with my 6.5 Grendel and killed the Yote. In 15 minutes here came all three of the deer back to the original location. (Curiosity since they still had never seen me or winded me. Stomping their feet and coming near they were walking around smelling the air and approaching cautiously. But they did come back.

Several yrs ago I had a coon try to convince me my box blind was his, so I put one in him tossed his crazy behind out of the blind about 25 to 30 feet away, I had a fork horn buck walk over to the dead coon an he licked an pushed it around for about 5 min. Strange things u see

Old 11-17-2011, 08:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post
I have lived on this ranch for 41 yrs I sure as hell know coyotes. We do not have feral dogs. As for coyotes they will an often do kill for sport. If they have pups its really bad, they teach them how to hunt an our calves are prime targets. Been there seen it 100s of times.
you ought to try wolves on for size. hopefully we will get to start shooting this next fall

let no talents go unused

Old 11-17-2011, 08:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshfireart

you ought to try wolves on for size. hopefully we will get to start shooting this next fall
Yea the wolves are kill the deer an elk herds I can always find a good hole to toss one in, just shoot em high an burry em deep

Old 11-18-2011, 06:10 AM   #16

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

To stop predators, I once saw on tv or read some where that taste is the greatest method. Smell and taste trigger memories the best. Based on this concept farmers/ranchers would sacrifice a lamb or calf and then poison the carcas. The wolves or coyotes would get deathly ill, but not die. And since taste and smell are the greatest triggers to memory, they wont even think about attacking the same animal because or the horrible poisoning experience.

It works on us as well. If we have a stomach bug that we dont know about then go to eat. Later we get sick then we blame it on the food. Based on that smell/taste trigger if someone suggests going out to eat at the same place or eating the same food in the future your responce is usually "Their food makes me sick." Even though their food probably didnt do it, but that trigger is hard to break.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old 11-18-2011, 02:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan0626
To stop predators, I once saw on tv or read some where that taste is the greatest method. Smell and taste trigger memories the best. Based on this concept farmers/ranchers would sacrifice a lamb or calf and then poison the carcas. The wolves or coyotes would get deathly ill, but not die. And since taste and smell are the greatest triggers to memory, they wont even think about attacking the same animal because or the horrible poisoning experience.

It works on us as well. If we have a stomach bug that we dont know about then go to eat. Later we get sick then we blame it on the food. Based on that smell/taste trigger if someone suggests going out to eat at the same place or eating the same food in the future your responce is usually "Their food makes me sick." Even though their food probably didnt do it, but that trigger is hard to break.
I like to let the yotes taste my 22-250 it really keeps em for coming back for seconds

Old 11-18-2011, 02:51 PM   #18
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2124 Times on 1152 Posts
Likes Given: 769

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan0626 View Post

If you are in the business, I guess that makes a lot of sense.

If you like ridding the area of these pests, then it's kind of counter productive.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA