shotguns basics...help - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum >

shotguns basics...help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2014, 06:10 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 275 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 55

[QUOTE=icallshotgun88;1489299]im not saying i wont buy more hunting shotguns down the road, but whats wrong with buying a REALLY nice shotgun as your first hunting shotgun?

[/QUOTE
Absolutely nothing wrong with that. It's your money.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:33 PM   #12

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

What I haven't seen mentioned yet is fit. You sound like your experienced shooter but waterfowl is a whole diffrent game and with improper fit it dosen't matter from low budget to high end if it don't fit you won't hit. shoulder all you can get your hands on and you will know when it just feels right, also don't forget to take at least the top half of your hunting gear with you. Something might feel sweet to shoulder with a tee shirt but will be way too long when you wear waders and coat.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:34 PM   #13

Liked 2224 Times on 1527 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallshotgun88 View Post
3" or 3&1/2"?

Is it true that 3&1/2 is better because it offers more shot with a longer range?

And is that ideal or needed for duck?
It depends on the type of hunting you do. I mostly pass shoot ducks and geese. I just take the bushing out of the powder/shot bar so it will dump as much shot as possible. When I jump shoot ducks I just use 1 1/4 oz of shot. The recoil from a full house load in a canoe is too much. Most duck hunters like full house loads. Not many duck hunters are quick enough to jump shoot ducks. they should be called I don't practice anymore because I got a benelli.

Navigable rivers and streams cannot be posted. They are free hunting for anyone unless the state restricts hunting on the given stream. The smaller the stream the better the hunting. Most people like to use a gas motor. If the stream is to small to launch a boat from a trailer maybe two people in the entire county hunt it.

Last edited by John_Deer; 01-23-2014 at 10:50 PM.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:39 PM   #14

Liked 754 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
It depends on the type of hunting you do. I mostly pass shoot ducks and geese. I just take the bushing out of the powder/shot bar so it will dump as much shot as possible. When I jump shoot ducks I just use 1 1/4 oz of shot. The recoil from a full house load in a canoe is too much. Most duck hunters like full house loads. Not many duck hunters are quick enough to jump shoot ducks. they should be called I don't practice anymore because I got a benelli.

Navigable rivers and streams cannot be posted. They are free hunting for anyone unless the state restricts hunting on the given stream. The smaller the stream the better the hunting. Most people like to use a gas motor. If the stream is to small to launch a boat from a trailer maybe two people in the entire county hunt it.
I fail to see how having a Benelli slows you down when jump shooting. I seem to do better than most. And keep in mind it is trespassing once you get out of your canoe to go around blowdowns that often fall across those little creeks.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:12 PM   #15

Liked 2224 Times on 1527 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchunt101 View Post
I fail to see how having a Benelli slows you down when jump shooting. I seem to do better than most. And keep in mind it is trespassing once you get out of your canoe to go around blowdowns that often fall across those little creeks.
I totally agree that a Benelli does not slow a shooter down. But most duck hunters do not practice. I never find a duck hunting partner at a skeet range. I find my duck hunting partners in the summer fishing in the same streams I hunt.

I regards to the blow downs I own a nice chainsaw. I only have to cut a few limbs off a blow down to pass under it. Only for a few years after Fran I was hampered from hunting small streams. During that time there were so many trees down it was hard to walk through the woods, much less paddle down a river. There is no law that says I can not limb any tree that prevents me from navigating a river. Only cypress trees are protected by state and federal law. Cypress trees are not an issue on small streams.

Last edited by John_Deer; 01-24-2014 at 07:19 PM.