shotguns basics...help
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > shotguns basics...help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2014, 12:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default shotguns basics...help

hey ya'll...

id consider myself a firearms enthusiast who does target shooting on the weekends, but I'm going to start duck hunting and need some help picking a good shotgun...

problem is, all the guns i own are for target/precision shooting, so i dont know the first thing about picking a good duck gun...

im hoping to get some questions answered...

1. which action do you recommend? semi, pump or break? WHY?

2. wood or synthetic? WHY?

3. what barrel length do you recommend?

4. which sort of choke do you recommend?

5. I have about a $1000 for a hunting shotgun...what are 3 specific guns you recommend and why?

thank ya'll SO much for any responses

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-23-2014, 01:32 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1492

BOY! You just opened the 55 gallon DRUM of worms!!!

My thoughts- semi auto. Synthetic (as much as I love walnut, think about where ducks are found) I am partial to longer barrels, 28-30, YMMV. Chokes? modified/ full. Important part- rated for STEEL shot. Can't use lead with waterfowl.

Second choice? Pump. CAN you use an O/U? Sure- but better for upland birds.

Brand? HAH! Not going there!!! But you can get a decent duck gun for well under a grand.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Sniper03 Likes This 
Old 01-23-2014, 01:34 AM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2723 Times on 1327 Posts
Likes Given: 1386

There are several good shotguns for Waterfowl in my opinion.

From the bottom to top is the Mossberg Model 935 Mag. Waterfowl Realtree Nothing at all wrong with the Mossberg. I have a Model 930 Turkey Gun and I love the gun! Mounted an EOTech on it and it is the Berrys for Turkey hunting and a nice gun. You might take a look at one! Some people turn their noses up to that but probably have never owned one! It and the 935 well under $1000.
Next the Bennelli Performance Shop SBE II Waterfowl
Next the Remington Versa Waterfowl but it is slightly above your $1000.00 limit
All the above are Semi Autos which I prefer Duck Hunting. But nothing wrong with the pump. Used an Remington 870 for years.
The Remington Model 887 Waterfowl is a nice gun also but it is a pump!
Most all of these have interchanable chokes. And normally you will need a 30" barrel and full choke or waterfowl choke for Ducks. As you probably assumed being a competition shooter. The stock realy doesn't matter to me. Although you can beat up a nice wood stock pretty well over a season and the synthetics are probably better due to the water and climate exposure. Personal opinion I am not one for over and unders for duck hunting. For Skeet,Trap, Quail and Pheasants I like the O/U Doubles.
Hope this gives you a couple to take a look at! The Remington Versa Mag. Waterfowl is the only one about 2-$300 over your target but a nice gun.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 01-23-2014 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Spelling
c3shooter Likes This 
Old 01-23-2014, 01:56 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2135 Times on 1469 Posts
Likes Given: 793

Given the gun is going to get beat up in cold weather I would get Mossberg 500 with a beech stock. The reason I selected beech is synthetic stocks do make an unnatural noise when they bump into something. You are going to be in a blind...You will bump the gun into the blind.

Don't worry about scratches on a beech stock. Old English scratch remover will keep a beech stock on a Mossberg 500 looking like new. In fact, I recommend giving it a coat of Old English before you even shoot the gun.

The Mossberg 500 has it's place in the most reliable gun ever debate. The most reliable gun ever debate is soon to start. By nature pump shotguns are very reliable. The Mossberg 500 is the only shotgun to pass a military trial.

Nevermind the wiggle in the forearm. The forearm is riveted so it will not bind up. I have fired a Mossberg 500 with the receiver stuffed full of snow (not intentionally), it functioned perfectly. After 100 rounds you should not have have to pull back on the forearm, recoil should push the slide back.

A Mossberg 500 with a 28" vent rib barrel will include a full set of chokes. The 500 is one of the few shotguns with two extractors.

I can go on and on why a Mossberg 500 is the best shotgun ever made.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mossberg_500

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Last edited by John_Deer; 01-23-2014 at 02:06 AM.
c3shooter Likes This 
Old 01-23-2014, 02:13 AM   #5

3" or 3&1/2"?

Is it true that 3&1/2 is better because it offers more shot with a longer range?

And is that ideal or needed for duck?

Old 01-23-2014, 02:23 AM   #6

Liked 335 Times on 227 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallshotgun88 View Post
3" or 3&1/2"?

Is it true that 3&1/2 is better because it offers more shot with a longer range?

And is that ideal or needed for duck?
They tend to have more shot or the same amount of shot at a higher velocity. It is an advantage bit for some people the recoil Is to much. The only reason I don't shoot 3.5 inch buckshot out of my 870 is because I can't justify paying 2x the price for just 3 more pellets of 00 buck.

Mamas don't let your cowboys grow up to be babies.
better dead than red

Old 01-23-2014, 02:23 AM   #7

Liked 65 Times on 36 Posts

Default Duck Hunting

I've used a 3" Remington 11-87 with steel shot for over 25 yrs.

Use #4s for teal over decoys.

Use #2s for bigger ducks over decoys.

Use #1s for past shooting.

Prefer a IC choke over decoys and a M choke past shooting.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:42 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1337 Times on 908 Posts
Likes Given: 1429

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?item=np1-228

You can get em at Wal-Mart for under 200 bucks............

When all else fails.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:43 AM   #9

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 54

The best answer by far was by c3shooter.
If you are going to get heavily involved in this sport, I would think that you don't spend all your money on your first gun. The Mossberg 500 is more than adequate for a hunting gun. Let your experience grow and maybe you will move to an auto, and someday a dbl. (SXS or OU) I started with one shotgun...now I have three...I started with one revolver....now I have 3...I started with one auto...now I have 6..... You get the picture, right?

Never waste time deciding between two guns....buy both of them.

c3shooter Likes This 
Old 01-23-2014, 05:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouribound View Post
The best answer by far was by c3shooter.
If you are going to get heavily involved in this sport, I would think that you don't spend all your money on your first gun. The Mossberg 500 is more than adequate for a hunting gun. Let your experience grow and maybe you will move to an auto, and someday a dbl. (SXS or OU) I started with one shotgun...now I have three...I started with one revolver....now I have 3...I started with one auto...now I have 6..... You get the picture, right?
im not saying i wont buy more hunting shotguns down the road, but whats wrong with buying a REALLY nice shotgun as your first hunting shotgun?

i DO plan on having it for yearsssssss...

besides, i do have a shotgun already, just not a hunting shotgun. and i have multiple rifles and multiple handguns...why not buy a really nice hunting shotgun as my first hunting shotgun?

i dont see anything wrong with it...