Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Shotgun vs. rifle for deer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 05:09 AM   #81
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1487 Times on 1006 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
I would not say a shotgun is a poor choice for deer. But I will definitively and with no hesitation state that a good hunting rifle beats any shotgun for deer 100/100 times
What are people in areas that have legal issues with a rifle supposed to do? In this area it's difficult to get permission to hunt with a rifle. People have been killing a limit every year with a shotgun. When I go to a landowner to get permission to hunt I am going to hunt on his/her terms so I am welcome next time I want to hunt that area. I would say a shotgun is much better if you have plenty of places to hunt with it. In my situation the shotgun wins 80/100.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 10-28-2013, 06:37 AM   #82
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1935 Times on 1006 Posts
Likes Given: 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer
What are people in areas that have legal issues with a rifle supposed to do? In this area it's difficult to get permission to hunt with a rifle. People have been killing a limit every year with a shotgun. When I go to a landowner to get permission to hunt I am going to hunt on his/her terms so I am welcome next time I want to hunt that area. I would say a shotgun is much better if you have plenty of places to hunt with it. In my situation the shotgun wins 80/100.
Depends on where you live I guess. Your shotgun is worthless where we hunt out west unless you want to get birds

Old 10-28-2013, 06:50 AM   #83
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Depends on where you live I guess. Your shotgun is worthless where we hunt out west unless you want to get birds

Do you have super deer that shotgun slugs can't penetrate their skin? I have literally killed hundreds of deer. I have shot less than 10 deer over 45 yards away. At that range if a slug won't take a deer what kind of rifle is required to kill those deer?

Last edited by John_Deer; 10-28-2013 at 06:54 AM.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #84

Likes Given: 6

I have a Mossberg 500 and they're good until you get used to a rifle. I use a .270 whenever possible.

Conservation is the key!

Old 10-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #85

Liked 2075 Times on 1222 Posts
Likes Given: 445

Wherever it is allowed I will make a rifle my first choice.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:30 PM   #86
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Do you have super deer that shotgun slugs can't penetrate their skin? I have literally killed hundreds of deer. I have shot less than 10 deer over 45 yards away. At that range if a slug won't take a deer what kind of rifle is required to kill those deer?
were I hunt out west (Montana), typical shots are 200 yards and up. There is absolutely NO comparison on ballistics at 200 yards between my 30-06 150 grain round and a shotgun slug. None. Period. Your slug trajectory past 200 yards is going to be 20-30 inches in drop. Versus dead on for a 30-06, .270., 7mm rem mag, etc

where I live the southern part of the state is shotgun only, north is rifle country. I have hunted with shotguns before, but given a choice for most shooters it really is no choice, unless a shotgun is all you have. A shotgun is a very versatile long gun. IMHO a shotgun as a 100 yard and under deer rifle. Nothing wrong with that but let's not pretend it competes with a hunting rifle for deer....it definitely has it's limits

Last edited by chloeshooter; 10-28-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-28-2013, 06:54 PM   #87

Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts

Update.
I have gotten my first deer(doe) with my bow a couple of weeks ago. 20 yards, dropped right where I shot it. My dad says that if I get a 2nd deer, he will let me buy my own rifle (I will pay for half). Right now, I'm trying to decide between a .270 Remington 700 Varmint or a break action gun with the following barrels: .22, .243, 20gauge rifled barrel, and maybe a 12 gauge barrel. Have you heard anything bad about the Rossi W?

Old 10-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #88
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
were I hunt out west (Montana), typical shots are 200 yards and up. There is absolutely NO comparison on ballistics at 200 yards between my 30-06 150 grain round and a shotgun slug. None. Period. Your slug trajectory past 200 yards is going to be 20-30 inches in drop. Versus dead on for a 30-06, .270., 7mm rem mag, etc

where I live the southern part of the state is shotgun only, north is rifle country. I have hunted with shotguns before, but given a choice for most shooters it really is no choice, unless a shotgun is all you have. A shotgun is a very versatile long gun. IMHO a shotgun as a 100 yard and under deer rifle. Nothing wrong with that but let's not pretend it competes with a hunting rifle for deer....it definitely has it's limits
A rifle has it's limits too. When a landowner tells you no more hunting on my property it doesn't matter what you are shooting you are looking for a new place to hunt.

I never said a shotgun was as capable as a rifle for long distance shots. I have hunted all across the US. I have never been anywhere where you couldn't find a bottleneck created by the lay of the land.

Sabots make a 100 yard shot very easy with a shotgun. I hunted with Winchester XP3 sabots last season. At 100 yards they don't drop enough to make one miss a paper plate. According to Winchesters ballistic table they drop 1" @ 100 yards. I shot a crow this summer with an XP3 slug at a jaw dropping distance of about 150 yards. The Winchester XP3 sabot is not as good as a rifle but it is an improvement over the rifled slug. None of the landowners object to the sabots and everyone that has wrote a permission slip in years past gave me permission to hunt this year with a shotgun.

I have a 30/06 BAR, a Winchester model 70 chambered in 270 and my new partner a 91/30. I hunt with the BAR on my own land and where I can get permission to hunt with a rifle. In most counties in NC you have to have written permission from the landowner to hunt with a centerfire rifle. Unlike most states each county in NC can make local regulations.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #89

Liked 747 Times on 450 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Quote:
A rifle has it's limits too. When a landowner tells you no more hunting on my property it doesn't matter what you are shooting you are looking for a new place to hunt.

I never said a shotgun was as capable as a rifle for long distance shots. I have hunted all across the US. I have never been anywhere where you couldn't find a bottleneck created by the lay of the land.

Sabots make a 100 yard shot very easy with a shotgun. I hunted with Winchester XP3 sabots last season. At 100 yards they don't drop enough to make one miss a paper plate. According to Winchesters ballistic table they drop 1" @ 100 yards. I shot a crow this summer with an XP3 slug at a jaw dropping distance of about 150 yards. The Winchester XP3 sabot is not as good as a rifle but it is an improvement over the rifled slug. None of the landowners object to the sabots and everyone that has wrote a permission slip in years past gave me permission to hunt this year with a shotgun.

I have a 30/06 BAR, a Winchester model 70 chambered in 270 and my new partner a 91/30. I hunt with the BAR on my own land and where I can get permission to hunt with a rifle. In most counties in NC you have to have written permission from the landowner to hunt with a centerfire rifle. Unlike most states each county in NC can make local regulations.
It is generally a good idea to have written permission to hunt on private property regardless of the type weapon you use. BTW I use both but prefer a rifle hands down. I hunt a lot of bean fields.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #90
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:

think we are talking about apples and oranges here

let's re-frame this shall we?

I am stating this: a rifle is a better deer hunting long gun in every instance that a rifle is allowed. And that would be the only time a shotgun is an advantage over a rifle, when rifle hunting is NOT allowed (I do not choose to hunt those places). Regardless of distance (open sights work great for me up to 175 yards or so)

you wanna argue that one? go for it. I can always use a good chuckle