You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum >

Shotgun vs. rifle for deer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 47 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsurpshooter60 View Post
Well i live in Ohio and we are a shotgun state ,But i was raised in fla and we always used rifles, i think shotguns are the dumbest law ever , i see more deer wounded and never found shot by kids with 410,s and 20 guages then i ever saw in any southern state i have hunted which is quite a few and i agree 308 is the best deer rifle but at those ranges and ya size i would go with a reg marlin 30-30 has killed more deer than any other rifle in north america , i myself carried a 30-30 for many many yrs till i grew into an 06 and 308, i try to do most my hunting now in bow season they all drive hunt here and it is dangerous and ruins it for anyone else that was not there before you ,here in Ohio we just have a lot of people coming to ya hunting spot with 10 guys and running every deer miles away , stick with the rifle if they allow it trust me,shotguns have come a long way but only way i take slug gun over rifle is i have to in Ohio .I would always,s take the rifle over a slug gun i like quick clean kill,s and have been shotgun hunting for 9 yrs now , stick with the rifle. as far as recoil and accuracy you can not get with the recoil of a 12 guage as a small person that ya can with the 30-30 and i would not suggest any thing under a 12 guage as i have used the 20 it does not have enough energy to drop em i hate to chase deer and hunt for them hour,s. or leave them to rot and just go find another like they do up here , some the dmbst hunter,s and most unethical i have ever seen in gun season in Ohio.STICK WITH THE RIFLE.
If one can't drop something with a 20 gauge slug (61 caliber 5/8 ounce chunk of lead @1600fps) I doubt it's the shotgun.

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 10-19-2013, 05:50 PM   #72

All this talk about a shotgun not being able to drop a deer makes me question some people and wonder if it was actually a clean shot or what the circumstances were. Because that is the exception and certainly not the rule.

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Old 10-21-2013, 02:02 AM   #73

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmaster456 View Post
All this talk about a shotgun not being able to drop a deer makes me question some people and wonder if it was actually a clean shot or what the circumstances were. Because that is the exception and certainly not the rule.
I wonder that myself. First deer I killed I did it with a 12 ga NEF single shot with fully rifled bull barrel. I use Remington copper solid hollow point sabot slugs. I made the shot from just under 70 yards and seperated the spine. The amount of damage that slug did when it opened up and expanded was tremendous, her ribcage exploded. We use shotguns in indiana because we can't use high powered rifles. We've only recently (within the last couple years) been able to use rifles with straight cases like .45 long colt but bottle necked cased ammunition is still off limits.

Those who say a shotgun won't take down a deer are dead wrong, slugs do a fine job. Probably the same guys you hear opening day of gun season blasting away like the zombies are attacking thier treestand.....boom, boom, boom, boom, boom.
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Last edited by dragunovsks; 10-21-2013 at 02:07 AM.
People Like This 
Old 10-21-2013, 05:09 AM   #74
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4328 Times on 2784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post

I wonder that myself. First deer I killed I did it with a 12 ga NEF single shot with fully rifled bull barrel. I use Remington copper solid hollow point sabot slugs. I made the shot from just under 70 yards and seperated the spine. The amount of damage that slug did when it opened up and expanded was tremendous, her ribcage exploded. We use shotguns in indiana because we can't use high powered rifles. We've only recently (within the last couple years) been able to use rifles with straight cases like .45 long colt but bottle necked cased ammunition is still off limits.

Those who say a shotgun won't take down a deer are dead wrong, slugs do a fine job. Probably the same guys you hear opening day of gun season blasting away like the zombies are attacking thier treestand.....boom, boom, boom, boom, boom.
I only hear three booms at a time in Ohio, we gotta use plugs to restrict them. I've never needed a second shot when using slugs, 12 or 20 guage.

The pistol caliber rifles makes sense. They are, if anything, a shorter range tool compared to modern day slug guns, and especially muzzleloaders.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:52 AM   #75

Liked 4803 Times on 2686 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

On another forum they discussed Indiana law allowing a 1.8" cartridge case. This allows a hunter to cut 2/10s off a 45-70 case and shoot a Marlin or Winchester etc. 45-70. The bullet is seated out and crimped. The 45-70 loads using lever-lution bullets is deadly at 300 yards.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:19 AM   #76
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4339 Times on 2627 Posts
Likes Given: 24050

BH17, by now I'm sure you have made up your mind as to what to get, and have already aquired it. My $0.02 on it would be to go with the M 500 combo for now, and buy a rifle later if you find a hunting site where your shots are out past 100 yards. I live in Chautauqua County, and have 4 places that I hunt. Only one of them is open enough to justify carrying my 7 mil. Mauser, as it is an open field 250 x110 yards with a quarter mile of woods on it's Western side, and miles of woods on the other 3 sides. I can use the rifle for shots in any direction but West, as it is within 1/4 mile of a major roadway. The rest of the sites are thick brush, and I have never had a shot at any of them that was more than 50 yards, Average distance being 15 to 20 yards. IMHO, a shotgun would be the better investment for now.

To all of the shotgun doubters who feel that a shotgun is a poor choice for deer. I have been using a shotgun on deer for over 20 years now, and have only had to put a second round into a deer twice. Both were spine shots, and the second round was a mercy killing. 12 or 20 gauge, I use both, are more than adequate when using slugs within the limitations of the gun's range, and the shooter's ability. IOW, even if the gun and it's ammo are capable of making the shot, the person behind the trigger may not be. Learn where you gun hits with what ammo, ant what range, and practice real life scenarios with whatever gun and ammo type you choose. That "useless" shotgun might be better suited to where you hunt than you think. I personally won't take a shot at a deer beyond 50 yards with a shotgun, but I can take a beer bottle off of a fence post at 75 yards with my Mossberg 185-d 20 gauge easily. The only add-on is a rear peep sight with full windage and elevation adjustments. Learn your gun of choice, and it just may surprise you what it and you can do.
If I have to explain why I ride, you wouldn't understand. Explaining sex to an alien would be easier than explaining the feeling, one that boils all that is going on in your life down to what really matters each time you are in The Wind. All I can say is, Life is not Life without it.

Last edited by kfox75; 10-21-2013 at 07:28 AM.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:25 AM   #77
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4339 Times on 2627 Posts
Likes Given: 24050

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post

You just reminded me of the shot number formula my grandfather taught me when we used to hunt together.

1 shot = Meat.
2 shots = Maybe.
3+ shots = Miss.
3 Rapid shots, repeated a few minutes later = HELP!!!!

I still get a chuckle out of hearing what sounds like WWIII right at sunrise on opening day. It usually means that one of the missed deer are about to cross my path, and I only shoot once.
If I have to explain why I ride, you wouldn't understand. Explaining sex to an alien would be easier than explaining the feeling, one that boils all that is going on in your life down to what really matters each time you are in The Wind. All I can say is, Life is not Life without it.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:59 PM   #78

Mossberg M500 + Rifled Barrel + Hornady SSTs + Nikon Slughunter 3-9x40mm = 200+ yard slug gun all day if the shooter is capable of it. $5-600 setup and around here is easily as capable as a rifle for most places. You won't be at a disadvantage to someone with say a 30-30 except a bruised shoulder after sighting it in.

That being said that gun does have monstrous recoil with that ammunition and it is easy to develop a flinch so be careful of that.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #79

Liked 2225 Times on 1528 Posts
Likes Given: 820

The reason people say a shotgun slug won't take a deer is a regular slug really slows down past 75 yards. I have seen people swear the deer was 40 yards away. When I get there with the dogs it was obvious the deer was over 100 yards away. Since we know the hunter shot at a buck I drop the tailgate anyway.

If a slug won't take a deer in it's effective range neither will a 30/06, both have about the same energy at 25 yards. Sabots are comparable to a rifle at much longer ranges, especially the sabots that send a 300 gr 50 cal bullet downrange.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:40 AM   #80

Liked 2059 Times on 1076 Posts
Likes Given: 392

I would not say a shotgun is a poor choice for deer. But I will definitively and with no hesitation state that a good hunting rifle beats any shotgun for deer 100/100 times
Jagermeister Likes This