Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Shotgun vs. rifle for deer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
Get the .243.
ct
I'm a fan of the .243 and also of the .270. They are the only calibers I've ever hunted deer with.
Both will do the job, one just has more kd power and recoil.
Having said that in todays environment cartridge price and availability are certainly a factor in choosing a rifle. These days I'd say the .30-06 is the best bang (literally) for your buck (the puns just don't stop).

Last edited by cswann1; 07-25-2013 at 04:14 PM.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:29 PM   #62

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

okkkkk those enfields and japs with "no recoil at all". Put the buttcap to your nose, point the rifle horizonally away from your front, hold it "loosely", and pull the trigger on a full power load. Then get back to us again about that "no recoil" bs. Be sure to include a photo of what your face looks like after the shot. :-)

Old 07-25-2013, 05:09 PM   #63
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1009 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 346

Get the shotgun. You mentioned that other areas are closed to hunting with a rifle. You don't need the cantilever barrel for a Mossberg. The receiver is drilled and tapped on all new Mossberg 500 shotguns. Just get a combo with a 24" rifled slug barrrel and a 28" vent rib barrel. Don't buy into the BS about having to shoot sabots in a rifled barrel either. Sabots are nice but a premium 1600 FPS rifled slug will not lead the barrel.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:17 AM   #64

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchunt101

Use the A-5 --- those guns were ment to be used and enjoyed and unless it is in 100% condition enough of them were made that hunting with them is perfectly fine. They are 100 times the gun of any mossturd
I do use it a lot. About 200 rounds every other weekend. I just don't want it to get scratched up because it has been in my family for a long time.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #65

Liked 310 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 536

Please ignore any post that suggests that the .243 is "marginal" for deer. Those who think this way are stuck in the 50's and 60's and have not progressed into the realm of modern ballistics. Today's bullets, powder and ammo are not you grandfather's bullets, powder and ammo. There are also many bullets less than 100 grains that are entirely adequate for deer sized game; i.e., the Barnes 80 grain TTSX. In tests, most traditional cup and core lead bullets shed 40 to 60 percent of their weight upon striking an animal, whereas, the Barnes TTSX non-lead bullet retains 100% of it's weight. As a result, the Barnes TTSX is a much more adequate bullet with a higher MV and greater killing power than the standard lead bullet of a heavier weight.
ct

Old 07-27-2013, 05:34 PM   #66
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1244 Times on 779 Posts
Likes Given: 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
Please ignore any post that suggests that the .243 is "marginal" for deer. Those who think this way are stuck in the 50's and 60's and have not progressed into the realm of modern ballistics. Today's bullets, powder and ammo are not you grandfather's bullets, powder and ammo. There are also many bullets less than 100 grains that are entirely adequate for deer sized game; i.e., the Barnes 80 grain TTSX. In tests, most traditional cup and core lead bullets shed 40 to 60 percent of their weight upon striking an animal, whereas, the Barnes TTSX non-lead bullet retains 100% of it's weight. As a result, the Barnes TTSX is a much more adequate bullet with a higher MV and greater killing power than the standard lead bullet of a heavier weight.
ct
Who here said the 243 was marginal for deer??? Just curious who said that.
I personally think you should not 'ignore' any of the information posted here.
Do your own research and validate it or disprove it, put it to the 'reality test' to see if it is realistic or not, and you can make up your own mind about the credibility of any info supplied here or anywhere else.!
This process has worked very well for me, and it will work well for you if you take the time to do it with an OPEN MIND!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 07-27-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:09 PM   #67

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Rifle all the way...I love my model 700 308.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:51 PM   #68
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1009 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 346

The rifle wins for all occasions but one. Man driving deer often is best done with buckshot. We are in these areas driving deer because the brush is so thick the dogs can't jump a deer in it. Everyone is real close together on this type of deer drive.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #69

Liked 183 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Rifles win across the board. No shotgun kills as fast as rifles, and none of my rifles kick half as hard as 1 1/4 oz slugs. No contest rifles win, last deer we shot with the 12 guage we had to track and shoot again, after tracking it for the second time Ralph had to finish it with a knife since both barrels were empty, both were solid (lung-neck) hits with #1 buckshot at 15 and 30 yards. That will be the LAST time I ever take a shotgun along on a deer hunt. Tore up both front shoulders and made for a slow kill, in contrast even my small caliber rifles put them down inside 10 yards if they move at all which is rare, a rear lung shot will destroy less then 4 oz of rib meat with my Swede.
Best deer hunting caliber for a non-handloader is the 7mm-08 IMHO it is just fantastic, lighter, shorter and less recoil then my 270 and hits with just as much energy with a larger caliber.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:53 PM   #70
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4465 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

try it with a slug. buckshot is a defensive load for two legged goblins. not hunting ammunition.

a slug is a whole other critter.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...