Shotgun vs. rifle for deer - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Shotgun vs. rifle for deer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 02:11 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts

Update: I now have a shotgun for turkey, and other animals that I will hunt besides big game. It is a Savage 745 given to me by my uncle that also used to be owned by my Grandpa. Now that I have a shotgun to hunt with, I'll be looking for a rifle now. I will most likely get a .270. Would you recommend the Savage axis for hunting and some target shooting (nothing serious though)? I have heard some people say that it is very inaccurate, but some other people say that it groups sub moa. Is it accurate?

Old 07-25-2013, 02:24 AM   #52

Liked 198 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 50

The .270 Winchester IS about as good as it gets on white-tailed deer in my opinion.I have watched my buddy down a few deer at 50-75 yards with his .270 Win, it just has more hydro static shock at that range than most other calibers, I have shot deer with more powerful guns at that range such as a .444 and 12 gauge foster slug and they dropped just fine, but it took them a minute to die, but that .270 is magic, they just drop dead instantly, I also shot a deer myself with a .270 Weatherby Magnum and that was magic like that also...Good choice on the .270, now on the gun, it would probably depend on the range you will be shooting, if its like 50-200 yards, than an inexpensive rifle is fine, if you really want to go further than I might look into something better, then again, i'm not a Savage Axis expert so I don't know.
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 07-25-2013, 02:25 AM   #53

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Savage is a time-honored name in gunmaking. I seriously doubt that a new, scoped, bolt action, centerfire rifle, not mucked with by somebody, is not highly accurate, right at 1 MOA groups, that is, with its "favorite" loads, and if by chance one does have such a deficiency, their repair/warranty people will correct it for you. In this day of one (upset) customer being able to influence 1000's of readers on net forums, all makers BETTER have good products and good customer service!

Really, if it will group 2" at 100 yds, it's plenty accurate enough for quite long range shots at deer, 300 yds or more. If you shoot enough deer, you are going to hit some that are not dropped to the shot, by any round. A good friend of mine dropped 17 straight, but #18, a little Ark 80 lb buck, took a 165 gr btsp, from 65 yds, thru a shoulder, the aorta, etc, and ran 80 paces. No blood at the site, and no hair, either. Jamie thought that he'd missed, fired a test shot to see if his scope was knocked out of alignment. this was at dusk and had he not run for town, got 3 hunter buddies with lights, he'd not have recovered that meat before the coyoteds peed all over it.

Last edited by bildee; 07-25-2013 at 02:29 AM.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:29 AM   #54

Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts

Are there any upgrades for guns like the Savage axis, Ruger American, or the Marlin x7 that are worth while? Also, what would be a good scope to use on them

Old 07-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #55

Liked 1304 Times on 735 Posts
Likes Given: 564

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter17 View Post
Are there any upgrades for guns like the Savage axis, Ruger American, or the Marlin x7 that are worth while? Also, what would be a good scope to use on them
For deer hunting, I prefer a Leupold with a 50 mm objective so I can hunt the prime time, the last 15 to 20 minutes of legal shooting hours. I have a Vari X III 3.5-10x50mm on both my Ruger M77 270 and my Browning X Bolt 308.

Redfield has been resurrected by Leupold, the Revolution sub brand is American made and a decent scope for the price.

Vortex, Nikon, are good brands.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:16 PM   #56

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter17
Would you recommend the Savage axis for hunting and some target shooting (nothing serious though)? I have heard some people say that it is very inaccurate, but some other people say that it groups sub moa. Is it accurate?
Personally, I don't think I have ever heard anyone knock the accuracy of the Axis rifles. Actually, the Savage Axis and Marlin X7 are probably the most often recommended economy hunting rifles. They are certainly not competition target guns but they are more than accurate enough for most hunters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter17
Those guns don't have nears the "upgradability" of things like the Ruger 10/22 or AR rifles. There are some things you could do, like replacing the stock or trigger group but personally I'd just save up for a rifle with better components before I invested a lot of time and money in what is an economy rifle to begin with (unless you are one of those people who just enjoy tinkering with your guns!)

I'm a fan of Leupold and Nikon scopes. They have a range of models although you are still looking at at least $200+ dollars for one of their entry level scopes. There are less expensive brands that are make usable scopes but I'll leave it to someone who knows more about them to offer suggestions.

Probably the most popular configuration for hunting scopes are the 3-9x40 models. Some people do like more magnification (ex 4-12) and others larger objectives (50mm) but I think the 3-9x40 is the best combination of size, magnification and light gathering for most big game hunting.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #57

Get the .243.
ct

Old 07-25-2013, 01:56 PM   #58
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2216 Times on 1314 Posts
Likes Given: 1150

Quote:
My county has recently opened the land to rifle hunting. We used to only be able to use shotguns, bows, and muzzle loaders.(Broome county, NY). Should I get the Mossberg 500 with the rifled cantilever barrel or a .243 bolt action rifle for white tailed deer. In NY the range that we see deer is very limited (20- 150 yards at the stands that I go to) so I was wondering if a rifle is necessary or if I should just get the shotgun.
If you MUST use a shotgun then so be it, BUT if you are not REQUIRED to use a shotgun use a rifle. The rifle can do anything (deer hunting) a shotgun can, but a shotgun CAN NOT do what a rifle can.
My recommendation is to get 260 Rem or a 7-08 as a 243 is the 'smallest' caliber allowed in many states so it is on the 'margin' when it comes to big game hunting, thus it requires the hunter to 'limit' their shots as to range and angle of presentation. If you do elect to go with the 243 stay with the 'heavy' bullets (100+ gr)
limbkiller Likes This 
Old 07-25-2013, 03:14 PM   #59

Liked 752 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Quote:
Another thing I like about the Mossberg 500 is that it comes with the rifled barrel, scope, and a bird barrel. With that, I can basically hunt anything that lives in NY. If I got a rifle just for deer, then I would have to get some other guns for other game. The only gun I have now is a pre ww2 Browning a-5 that I don't want to hunt with because it could be worth something someday. I guess a lot of guns isn't a bad thing, but I'm 14 years old, and my only income is 35 dollars every week for mowing 2 lawns, so I probably won't be able to buy that many guns (I would love to though). I have about $2500 saved up from mowing.
Use the A-5 --- those guns were ment to be used and enjoyed and unless it is in 100% condition enough of them were made that hunting with them is perfectly fine. They are 100 times the gun of any mossturd

Old 07-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #60

Liked 752 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Also look at used rifles---last year I got a .243 Rem 700 ADL 1968 mdl in roughly 90-95? condition for $250 and it came with a decent scope (since replaced). that little gun has quickly become my go to hunting rifle and favorite shooter.