Shotgun vs. rifle for deer - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum >

Shotgun vs. rifle for deer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #21
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2884 Times on 1582 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsurpshooter60 View Post
Well i live in Ohio and we are a shotgun state ,But i was raised in fla and we always used rifles, i think shotguns are the dumbest law ever , i see more deer wounded and never found shot by kids with 410,s and 20 guages then i ever saw in any southern state i have hunted which is quite a few and i agree 308 is the best deer rifle but at those ranges and ya size i would go with a reg marlin 30-30 has killed more deer than any other rifle in north america , i myself carried a 30-30 for many many yrs till i grew into an 06 and 308, i try to do most my hunting now in bow season they all drive hunt here and it is dangerous and ruins it for anyone else that was not there before you ,here in Ohio we just have a lot of people coming to ya hunting spot with 10 guys and running every deer miles away , stick with the rifle if they allow it trust me,shotguns have come a long way but only way i take slug gun over rifle is i have to in Ohio .I would always,s take the rifle over a slug gun i like quick clean kill,s and have been shotgun hunting for 9 yrs now , stick with the rifle. as far as recoil and accuracy you can not get with the recoil of a 12 guage as a small person that ya can with the 30-30 and i would not suggest any thing under a 12 guage as i have used the 20 it does not have enough energy to drop em i hate to chase deer and hunt for them hour,s. or leave them to rot and just go find another like they do up here , some the dmbst hunter,s and most unethical i have ever seen in gun season in Ohio.STICK WITH THE RIFLE.
You will find poor ethics and bad shots anywhere. I quit hunting because I did not have access to private land and would no longer put up with the idiots. Shotguns have nothing to do with it except I will agree the 410 slug is a bad joke.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #22

Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalboy26
I prefer a rifle, but in your situation I think that the shotgun maybe your best best with the multiple barrels. I only say that because at 14 it may be a while before you can afford another gun, so I would get what you can do the most with right now. You can get a rifle in a few years, but you can use your shotgun for everything else until you get it. That way you don't miss out on any hunting. Tough choice though.
I can afford a rifle, but I would have to buy more guns for other game and clay pigeons. more guns isn't a bad thing though.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLET9992
Depends on your distance. Even a nice, accurate slug guns with super accurate sabot slugs is maxed out at 100 yards. Past that you should consider a rifle, caliber is purely personal preference. 30-30, 7.62x39, 243, 30-07, 7mm-08, 7mm REM mag, 6.5 creedmoor, 6.8 spc, 308win, 308 marlin, 300 win mag. Just a few of you options for deer. Your choice depends on range, size of deer, your accuracy, your preference of damaged meat vs knock down power, sholder sensitivity, familiarity with weapons platforms, & more contribute to your choice. Specifically tell us your experience, what you've shot before, range etc., & we in this forum will gulp as best we can. :-) final decision is your ofcoarse.
So far my experience with firearms has only been with shotguns and .22s. My shoulder isn't very sensitive to recoil. I usually go out every other weekend and shoot like a 100-150 rounds of 12 ga with out my shoulder hurting at all. It is probably cause the gun that I shoot is recoil operated. I've shot some 12 ga pumps and break actions, and it didn't fell bad at all, so I don't think that I'm too sensitive. the farthest range that I've ever shot before was about 100 yards with a .22. It was the first time that I had ever shot, and my uncle just handed me a .22 from like the 1940s(it was a pretty weird gun. it had a detachable tubular mag in the back of the stock). He told me to try to shoot at a bird. I clipped it's wing from about 90-100 yards with iron sights.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:52 PM   #24

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter17 View Post
So far my experience with firearms has only been with shotguns and .22s. My shoulder isn't very sensitive to recoil. I usually go out every other weekend and shoot like a 100-150 rounds of 12 ga with out my shoulder hurting at all. It is probably cause the gun that I shoot is recoil operated. I've shot some 12 ga pumps and break actions, and it didn't fell bad at all, so I don't think that I'm too sensitive. the farthest range that I've ever shot before was about 100 yards with a .22. It was the first time that I had ever shot, and my uncle just handed me a .22 from like the 1940s(it was a pretty weird gun. it had a detachable tubular mag in the back of the stock). He told me to try to shoot at a bird. I clipped it's wing from about 90-100 yards with iron sights.
What kind of shells were you running? cheap 2 3/4 target loads wont kick much compared to say, 3 inch buck. Just be prepared for a bit more recoil if you haven't shot slugs or buck shot.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:30 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrest225

What kind of shells were you running? cheap 2 3/4 target loads wont kick much compared to say, 3 inch buck. Just be prepared for a bit more recoil if you haven't shot slugs or buck shot.
I mostly shoot low brass 2 3/4 shells for clay pigeons, but I shoot a lot of foster slugs. What is the recoil of a 2 3/4 Remington slugger compared to a 3 inch accu tip sabot slug? Also, why is the recoil of a 30-06 like?

Old 04-16-2013, 02:10 AM   #26

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter17 View Post
I mostly shoot low brass 2 3/4 shells for clay pigeons, but I shoot a lot of foster slugs. What is the recoil of a 2 3/4 Remington slugger compared to a 3 inch accu tip sabot slug? Also, why is the recoil of a 30-06 like?
It will be quite a bit, more than a rifle if it's anything like the hot buckshot i've used.

The only 30-06 I have shot was a BAR. The recoil wasn't bad, but there would probably be more with a bolt action.

Of course, if you are just hunting you probably wont fire enough rounds to hurt your shoulder anyways.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:31 PM   #27

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Any slug gun will far beat ya up more than a an 06 or any other 30 cal until you get in to the big bore,s .And the 3 inch mag slugs are pretty brutal , like i said i have been watching guys wound more deer than i have seen take them with shotguns in my state and 9 yrs of hunting here , ill never go with the slug gun as better medicine for deer unless it is bow range 60 yrds or less maybe 75.,i still say the 30-30 will bust through brush out to 100 yards with more energy and chance of dropping that deer within 20 yards of where he was hit and with the new ammo out there and the marlin xlr rifle you can make 250 yard shots with a 30-30 now.when ya get into 30 cal rifle,s, and you will be much more accurate at whichever range you shoot it from with a rifle over a slug gun when slugs drop like a rock a 30 cal will keep moving on. . And ya never know when the deer of a lifetime is just out of shotgun range ,now unless you shoot many many boxes of sabated slugs and get used to the ballistics of a slug vs the rifle ,i could never go with the shotgun as better weapon for whitetail , i moved from rifle country to useing slug guns and i had to learn how to hunt with a shotgun the ballistics are so much diff and had never heard of shooting at deer with a shotgun unless it was all ya had.so i have to go with a rifle over shotgun on any hunt that will allow me to use either.My cva optima is what i use more than anything now here instead of a slug gun shoots flatter and 5 times the energy with my 50 cal and 125 grains of pyrodex with 395 grain hollow point of hornady fpb muzzleloader bullets .Or powerbelts. overall it is up to you to make final choice but i wish we could use a rifle in ohio i would have 3 times as many deer on my wall.That,s a fact.Here are my two deer hunting weapons that are legal in ohio i do pistol hunt as well at times with the 460 mag, shotgun is set up for turkey hunting next weekend but i have used it that way with foster slug,s to hunt deer before i have the rifled slug barrel with scope mount and still will never group or outrange my muzzleloader., i go with the muzzleloader now only because Ohio will not allow me a rifle to hunt deer. still say get the marlin xlr 30-30 and use the leverevoluotion ammo you will never get the ballistic,s out of any shotgun that you will out of the marlin xlr.And will miss way less than not with the rifle vs ie shotgun /slug gun.And virtulay no recoil as compared to any slug gun on marketwith the 30-30.
001.jpg   002.jpg  

Last edited by Milsurpshooter60; 04-16-2013 at 05:35 PM.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 601 Times on 430 Posts
Likes Given: 187

I would say stick with a good shotgun with extra barrels for your situation until you can afford more, etc. A good hit with a slug will drop deer as well as anything. I have killed them with revolvers,.41 mag., .54 cal. smokepole,
my 7mm mag., shotguns, etc.,,, the most important thing is to become proficient in your shooting. Know your range limitations,practice and practice more. Be it a .300 Weatherby or a .243 or a 410 bore slug,, if you can't put the round where it needs to be, it's a miss or worse, a gut shot with a poor chance of a recovery. Get what you feel comfortable using and do your best to use it well. Good luck.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:46 PM   #29
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2884 Times on 1582 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Millsurp, Normally I would choose the rifle but in the OP's situation he is looking for a one gun do all and the rifle is not suited for the other game he wishes to hunt. Ideally he would have both he may have parental restrictions on what he can spend and what they approve. Another option would be a single shot switch barrel like an H&R or NEF. He could have a 308 or a 12 gauge on the same action. I used to hunt with single shot Rugers and it teaches you to slow down and aim right. I still like singles and still have an H&R 357 mag.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #30

Liked 231 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Both shotguns and rifles are good, however if you are opting for the rifle, and at the distances you will be shooting I would not go with a .243, I would go .30 caliber or larger such as what has been stated by others like .308,30/30 etc or maybe even a .44 magnum rifle or 45/70 or something like that.
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves