Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Shotgun vs. rifle for deer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 03:56 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

If you buy a shotgun I prefer the Remington 870. It's a battle tested firearm, so is the Mossberg 590. Btw here is a pic of one of my guns. Rossi Rio Grande 30-30 lever action & hornady 160gr flex tip expanding leverevolution ammo.

forumrunner_20130414_225552.jpg

Old 04-15-2013, 03:58 AM   #12

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter17 View Post
My county has recently opened the land to rifle hunting. We used to only be able to use shotguns, bows, and muzzle loaders.(Broome county, NY). Should I get the Mossberg 500 with the rifled cantilever barrel or a .243 bolt action rifle for white tailed deer. In NY the range that we see deer is very limited (20- 150 yards at the stands that I go to) so I was wondering if a rifle is necessary or if I should just get the shotgun.
I like a rifle over a shotgun but that has more to do with range than anything. Being you are under 200 yards in your shooting though really either would work OK. I prefer a 30 rifle of some type just because the drop them faster. Around here (S. Central Ky) more white tail has been fell with a 30 30 than any other two calibers. But here in the hills a 150 yard shot is pretty much as long as you're going to see. I like a 30 06 because it drops them like a hammer in their tracks and I don't have to tack them down.
Truth be told though at 100 yds about anything including a 12 ga will fell a deer.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-15-2013, 03:59 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1719 Times on 894 Posts
Likes Given: 3624

A 30/30 will handle that range well. A30/06 is a shoots a little flatter but kicks more.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:00 AM   #14

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Remember that this comes down to your choice. We can only say what "we" would do. Which ever choice you make WILL be the correct one for you.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 04-15-2013, 05:34 AM   #15

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I prefer a rifle, but in your situation I think that the shotgun maybe your best best with the multiple barrels. I only say that because at 14 it may be a while before you can afford another gun, so I would get what you can do the most with right now. You can get a rifle in a few years, but you can use your shotgun for everything else until you get it. That way you don't miss out on any hunting. Tough choice though.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:04 AM   #16
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1490 Times on 913 Posts
Likes Given: 7349

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
If you miss and hit a bear, it's OK; you can tell us.

'Gello, about the only thing I will miss here in NY when I "exit stage west" is that the deer and bear seasons both run at the same time. NY big game lisences include both a buck tag, and a bear tag. I'd say he's good to go either way. Bears are great when mixed with spices, and turned into chilli or sausage. D@mn, I just made myself hungry!

Some people down here in MS use them for hunting in brushy areas; they say slugs don't deflect off the brush as bad, though I haven't tested that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
Remember that this comes down to your choice. We can only say what "we" would do. Which ever choice you make WILL be the correct one for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalboy26 View Post
I prefer a rifle, but in your situation I think that the shotgun maybe your best best with the multiple barrels. I only say that because at 14 it may be a while before you can afford another gun, so I would get what you can do the most with right now. You can get a rifle in a few years, but you can use your shotgun for everything else until you get it. That way you don't miss out on any hunting. Tough choice though.
OP, both of the above posts are pretty much the advice I would give you. If you buy the shotgun, it will serve you better for now. Save up some money, and find out what the others in your group like to use. See if you can get them to go to a range, and if you can try out their rifles to see what works best for you. I would take a good sampling of what I own to meet up with you and those you hunt with, but Broome County is one he!! of a long haul from Chautauqua County.

I myself prefer my old Mossberg bolt action 20 gauge for deer, as it has been serving my family for a little over 50 years. This does not keep me from using my Mosin M44 or my 1916 Spanish short rifle as well. Just depends on where I will be hunting that day. The big thing to remember about riflr hunting is to know how far that bullet will travel if you miss, and what directions are safe to fire towards. this also applies to shotguns as well, but they don't need as much run off room. Whichever way you go, have fun out there and stay safe.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 04-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 917 Posts
Likes Given: 351

You will never regret going w 30-06.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:16 AM   #18

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts

There might be room for discussion if you already had a slug shotgun set up and were wondering if you should switch to a rifle. Since you're starting from scratch, there's no room for debate - get a rifle.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #19
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1731 Times on 943 Posts
Likes Given: 545

In your circumstance I would go with the shotgun with a rifled barrel for sabot slugs even though I am not a shotgun fan. That is if you can handle the recoil. It would do more which is what you need in a one gun situation. If you should decide to go with a rifle, I have been seeing 243 and 270 ammo available while 308 is especially scarce.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 04-15-2013, 03:37 PM   #20

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Well i live in Ohio and we are a shotgun state ,But i was raised in fla and we always used rifles, i think shotguns are the dumbest law ever , i see more deer wounded and never found shot by kids with 410,s and 20 guages then i ever saw in any southern state i have hunted which is quite a few and i agree 308 is the best deer rifle but at those ranges and ya size i would go with a reg marlin 30-30 has killed more deer than any other rifle in north america , i myself carried a 30-30 for many many yrs till i grew into an 06 and 308, i try to do most my hunting now in bow season they all drive hunt here and it is dangerous and ruins it for anyone else that was not there before you ,here in Ohio we just have a lot of people coming to ya hunting spot with 10 guys and running every deer miles away , stick with the rifle if they allow it trust me,shotguns have come a long way but only way i take slug gun over rifle is i have to in Ohio .I would always,s take the rifle over a slug gun i like quick clean kill,s and have been shotgun hunting for 9 yrs now , stick with the rifle. as far as recoil and accuracy you can not get with the recoil of a 12 guage as a small person that ya can with the 30-30 and i would not suggest any thing under a 12 guage as i have used the 20 it does not have enough energy to drop em i hate to chase deer and hunt for them hour,s. or leave them to rot and just go find another like they do up here , some the dmbst hunter,s and most unethical i have ever seen in gun season in Ohio.STICK WITH THE RIFLE.