Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Shotgun question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1081 Times on 699 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Default Shotgun question

I am not a shotgunner, though I own several of them. I recently saw an article that suggested that you should not shoot slugs through a full choke barrel.

Is it considered unwise to fire slugs through a fixed, full choke barrel?

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-24-2011, 02:50 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yes, it is considered unwise.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Last edited by Firearms4ever; 11-24-2011 at 02:54 PM.

Old 11-24-2011, 02:52 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8374 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

Your accuracy may suck, but it is not going to hurt your shotgun. Most guns shoot rifled slugs best with a modified choke.

Rifled slugs are slightly undersized (a 12 g slug is actually about 13 g), they are hollow, and the rifled grooves on the surface permit the VERY soft lead to swage.

Try this- Mike a slug, and mike the muzzle. Hmm- muzzle is bigger.....

There ARE chokes I would not shoot slugs thru- one is called Extra Full. Usually found near a turkey hunter. The other is the old Mossberg C-Lect Choke. Itty bitty steel fingers that are squeezed in or out by a screw type collet (We used to call them Dial-a-duck). Mossberg advised that the fingers could be damaged by a slug.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 11-24-2011, 02:55 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I always manage to learn something from C3.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 11-24-2011, 03:23 PM   #5

Liked 1081 Times on 699 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firearms4ever View Post
I always manage to learn something from C3.
I appreciate the response. Thank You.

I have shot many a slug through an old Winchester single shot that I inherited. When I read the article I went "OH ****". The slugs I shot were not rifled, to my knowledge. If I ever feel I have a need to shoot a slug in the future it will be rifled, and I will mike the bore. As a matter of fact, I will mike the bore now....It measures .69" or 17.52 MM. I don't have a slug in the house to measure. A quick google shows a .12 ga. slug at .730, so certainly, something has to give. Thank goodness for good Winchester steel.

I am kind of ashamed to be a "gun person", of advanced age, who had no idea he was so poorly informed for so long. This is a good reason to participate on a gun forum.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 11-24-2011, 04:54 PM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19797 Times on 11239 Posts
Likes Given: 49898

there are some choke tubes that are rifled just for slugs to make them a little more accurate and to increase their effective range some.

Old 11-24-2011, 06:04 PM   #7

Liked 696 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 225

I have heard that slugs can't be shot thru full chokes for over 40 years. Hogwash. More slugs have been shot in full choke guns than any other choke most likely more than all other chokes combined. This is for the simple reason that only in the last 40 years have other chokes started to become popular. Until screw-in chokes started being standard on shotguns almost all standard shotguns were full choke. Yes I have seen chokes other than full on shotguns made before I was born but they are quite uncommon. I have never seen(or heard of) any shotgun damaged by slugs or steel shot. Give it a rest. Its a non-issue.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:30 PM   #8

Never shoot a slug through a full choke. Over time, doing so will open the choke, and can actually blow out rim chokes or external adjustable chokes. No matter who you know that does so, it's a terrible idea. The choke is being damaged, even if you can't see the damage, which you usually can't. It certainly is not a non-issue.

Nor, for that matter, were all shotguns full choke before screw in chokes came along. Not by a long shot. Many assumed they were, but modified chokes were extremely common. So were improved cylinder, for that matter. A great many chokes were not marked in any way, and test patterns were the only way of telling.

Nor are slugs very accurate through a full choke. I've seen a lot of tests, and performed a couple, and an improved cylinder gives the best accuracy with a rifled slug. A slug that isn't rifled should only be fired through a rifled shotgun barrel.

But a slug fired through a full choke absolutely will damage the gun by opening the choke, and, rarely, by actually splitting the muzzle. Even if it didn't, a full choke is so usually so inaccurate with slugs that shooting them is pointless.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:50 AM   #9

Not sure of the damage to the barrel but a slug through a full choke can put a strain on the shoulder.