Shot placement on deer - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Shot placement on deer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 09:48 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2251 Times on 1225 Posts
Likes Given: 3513

Most of my deer hunting is done with a .50 muzzleloader. i always try for a quartering away heart-lung shot. Usually they drop like rocks and never get up.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:59 AM   #22

Liked 41 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Ok so far we have heard about heart and lung shots with 458 winchester mags in model 70 versions and also socom. Although a socom only comes in 308.
We have some one who hunts white tail with a 7mm magnum.
We have posts suggesting shoulder shots.
I believe I saw a post some one saying they use hard cast bullets.
We also have a couple of claims of knocking down game with heart and lung shots.
The topper of them all is the most widely used popular factory ammunition in the usa being remington corloct is no good.This poster actualy in his mind truley believes a white tail can take a hit in the neck with a high power rifle and live long enough for there neck to rot. He posts seeing deer with rotten necks from neck shots and jaws blown off from missed head shots.Then claims he has 40 years of hunting experience.
Well its been a truely interesting and entertaining thread.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:21 PM   #23

Liked 280 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 31

And you claim what. Never seen any thing odd in the woods. Must live a sheltered life.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:10 PM   #24

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I was taught at a young age to aim for the boiler room and use a soft point bullet. So far (25 years) this method has never let me down.

The smallest rifle was a .223 w/ 55gr SP, double lung on a doe about 50 yards away. She bucked and ran about 20 yards then piled up. The bullet exited and her lungs were pretty tore up. I was impressed. I was only using the .223 because it was the urban zone hunt in Missouri. Doe only and I had tons of does in my backyard. So I knew it would be a close shot. It performed well, but I would not recommend using a .223 unless the circumstances are there.

Head and neck shots are too risky and not very sporting in my opinion.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:54 PM   #25

Question was what shot do you prefer. I prefer the shot that is available to me and will get the job done most efficiently with the weapon I have at the time. I have been hunting for nearly 35 years. Situations will dictate your kill zone. I have hunted and killed deer with 12 and 20 gauge, 50 cal muzzle loader .204, .223, 270, 30-30, Rem 35, 7.62 x 39, 30.06, 308, 7mm, 7.62 x 54 rifiles and pitols like 357 mag and 41 mag. Oh and yes my bow! In my very young days of hunting (say 12-16) I always tried to take heart and lungs shots becuase I was unsure of my abilites. As I got to shoot more (practice) and got more confident with my shotting I started taking neck shots. Then I moved to head shots if not trophy hunting (always butcher and eat what I kill). With a rifle or pistol I like to shoot at the back of the head the best. It gives a nice target and will drop them like a ton of bricks. Necks shots work nearly as well. They usually drop them in thier tracks. Sometimes you do not have the shot that you prefer and you will have to take what is available. My opion is that if you don't have a kill shot don't take it! I have always subscribed to the theory "One shot one kill". Make sure you have the right weapon for the shot and that you have the ability to make the shot for a kill.

Many people hunt from some type of stand. When practicing try to simulate the type of shot you will be taking. Like up hill or down hill shots, early morining and late afternoon shots. This will increase your confidence and your sucess.

As for the rotten neck, I have never seen that although I have seen gang green in front and back legs that were missing. I have seen deer with lower jaws hanging, front leg dangling, hind leg dragging and missing an antler.
When I first started to hunt this kind of supprised me because of the way I was taught to hunt. Then as the years went by, I am less and less supprised by what I see. Many people do not take the time to propery prepare themselves for the sport of hunting. Many just buy a gun and head for the woods with no preperation at all.

Mark

MLR Distributing

Old 08-31-2011, 04:23 PM   #26

Liked 4985 Times on 2414 Posts
Likes Given: 1586

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
I also keep my shots in the heart/lung area no matter the yardage. I have killed deer from 20 feet to just shy of 400 yards . Allways tried to use the best bullet for the job, no sp or corelocks. Never shot for the head/neck after seeing some deer with jaws blowed off and rotting neck wounds. Make a good shot or don't shot at all. Thats may view of 40 years of deer hunting.
I use nothing but 150 gr Corelocks for whitetail for 2 reason.

1. They group a nice cloverleaf in my TC 30.06
2. They're inexpensive so I can put in lots of practice with the same load I hunt with.

TACK

Old 08-31-2011, 06:36 PM   #27

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
I use nothing but 150 gr Corelocks for whitetail for 2 reason.

1. They group a nice cloverleaf in my TC 30.06
2. They're inexpensive so I can put in lots of practice with the same load I hunt with.

TACK
I am a big fan of the good ol' Remington Core-Lokt bullet.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:51 PM   #28

Liked 280 Times on 221 Posts

dks7895 good for you. I don't. Good thang there lots of choices

Old 09-01-2011, 12:52 AM   #29

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dks7895 View Post
I was taught at a young age to aim for the boiler room and use a soft point bullet. So far (25 years) this method has never let me down.

The smallest rifle was a .223 w/ 55gr SP, double lung on a doe about 50 yards away. She bucked and ran about 20 yards then piled up. The bullet exited and her lungs were pretty tore up. I was impressed. I was only using the .223 because it was the urban zone hunt in Missouri. Doe only and I had tons of does in my backyard. So I knew it would be a close shot. It performed well, but I would not recommend using a .223 unless the circumstances are there.

Head and neck shots are too risky and not very sporting in my opinion.
What is the boiler room and what is a sporting shot to kill something?

Old 09-01-2011, 01:36 AM   #30

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts

I take heart/lung shots or shoulder shots. You can take out both lungs with a shoulder shot and it's a quick kill. I wont under any circumstance take a head shot or a neck shot. Anything can happen to throw your shot off. I've seen the result of misplaced head shots and it's not pretty seeing a deer with his lower jaw shot off.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php