Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Shot placement on deer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 04:45 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Welcome, firecaptain! You should go on over to the introductions thread and tell us a little about yourself.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 08-29-2011, 04:55 AM   #12

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

it depends on my mood, if I'm hunting just for the food what ever I can get head or chest cavity. If I'm going for meet and horns (I sometimes make things out of them beeds, toggles...etc) I try for the chest cavity but sometimes it doesn't work out that way.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 08-29-2011, 06:01 AM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Where now?

Where at in the chest cavaty is the heart/lungs on a dear? Is it right "above" their sternum between their legs like a dogs?

Old 08-30-2011, 06:22 AM   #14

Liked 40 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Interesting thread. I have been hunting elk and deer since I was 12.I hunted along with my dad before I reached 12 and could get my legal permit that is. This was 1970. I have killed a lot of deer and elk a few bear and moose also in the 41 years.
I have taken head neck heart and lung shots.I have used 30-30, 30-06 ,7mm mag , 300 winchester mag.But my go to rifle is a model 600 remington 350 magnum my dad gave me when I was 14.
I hunt the heavy alder brush almost exclusively so I can assure to get my elk every year. I always pick off a deer comming and going some time during the season for sausauge.There are two things you never ever do hunting elk and deer and that is gut shoot or shoulder shoot a animal.Both rate as stupidity in its most blatant form.
It is a very cruel painful way for a animal to die and they can cover a lot of ground on three leggs or gut shot to and in rough terrian like the bitteroots in northern Idaho where i grew up and hunt. they can get away from you.
I have seen a elk shot heart and lung by a 458 winchester magnum a school teacher bought who was from south dakota and convinced him self he needed a elephant rifle to kill elk.
He recruted three of my friends and me at age 16 to help him quarter the elk and pack it out.The 458 whent through the chest cavity from a profile shot and exploded the lungs and heart.It hit with such force it blood shot both front quarters and the back strap so bad most could not be saved.
Shooting a deer with a 458 winchester mag would pretty much render the meat all usless.
Shooting a deer or elk in the neck usualy takes out a whole vertabrae and they fall on the spot and bleed out. It does not kill them. They are in shock and have no feeling becuase there spinal cord is severed. They live about three or four minutes.I dont waste a bullet because the heart pumps the blood out fast because any hit in the neck tears up the arteries and they lose there blood in a gush. I have never took a neck shot that animal went one step.
A head shot turns there lights off instantly dead on impact. A heart and lung shot always makes them spasm as the shock wave travels through there body.This takes about a second or less and then they all run down hill about 100 yards and crumple up dead.
I have never shot a animal in the chest except a bear from the front.It is not a shot that presents itself very often and the bullet often travels on in and blows the stomache open sending bile and stomache acids all over the chest cavity just like a gut shot and ruins meat and is a mess to clean up in the woods so it dont rot the meat.
The neck is the easiest shot any way.
My rifle is desighned for the brush and to take down larger animals than white tails.I have heart and lunged white tails with it in more open terrian out at a couple hundred yards and I take a heart and lung at that range. I use remington factory corlokt ammo in 200 grain.It goes through a deer and does not blood shot more than a area of the ribs about six inches arround.
On a elk it always gets caught under the hide and I cut out a quarter size mushroomed bullet.
But on a whilte tail up close like 50 yards or so it blood shots them pretty bad in a heart and lung.So I always neck shoot dear also.A 7mm mag or 300 mag just destroys the meat with massive blood shot. The faster the bullet the worse it will blood shot.A 30-06 is actualy the perfect round for both deer and elk moose or bear. But it is not as good in the brush as a 350 magnum so I pack the old 350.
At close range like brush hunting is a 30-30 works fine on both deer and elk but is a little lighter than I like for a bear although many people kill black bear with them every year.
The heart and lung shot is right behind ther front shoulder. Not through the front shoulder that blows hell out of the meat and when it contacts bone sends a massive wave through the animal and blood shots the whole front shoulder and usualy the back strap.
My brother in law once shot a white tail accidently because he out right missed in the shoulder with a 444 marlin from about 30 yards and it ruined both front quarters and all the back strap.How ever he said it did not go any where.It fell over in the dirt road he shot it off.
Head shots are hard to get and some times so are a heart and lung. But that neck can always be shot at from any angle comming at you running away profiling and it makes them bleed out and you dont have to go looking for them.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:23 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 137 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 149

neck shots.

Onenut: That was a very well written & thought out post. Kudos.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Last edited by armsmaster270; 08-30-2011 at 07:31 AM.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:30 PM   #16

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessdragon View Post
Where at in the chest cavaty is the heart/lungs on a dear? Is it right "above" their sternum between their legs like a dogs?
right behind the front legs lungs, heart, liver, spin...etc. I've learned when you shoot a deer with a 7mm mag or 30-30 in the chest there pretty much done for they might run a little but the past six I've taken either just dropped or ran for about 75-100 yards and died.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Last edited by unclebear; 08-30-2011 at 02:33 PM.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:39 PM   #17

Liked 4544 Times on 2196 Posts
Likes Given: 1352

Seen and shot many "neck shot" white tail, every one of them dropped like a stone.

I prefer the neck shot for this reason, instant kill, but I will also take the vitals if the animal is moving or the distance is beyond 150 yards.

TACK

Old 08-30-2011, 04:11 PM   #18

Liked 40 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Thanks arms master.I just added my two cents to the stack of posts on the issue

Old 08-30-2011, 04:56 PM   #19

Default neck -vs- heart /lung

I lean toward heart / lung only because of some personal experience. 1. My dad tought me that way. 2. As a medic I've learned that death from a gunshot comes through hydraulic failure.
On point two, classroom learning about anatomy and physiology the chest cavity provides the largest surface for any structural compromise. Real life has taught me that people perform very similar to gunshot wounds as deer. Some die very quickly some , not so much. I've seen people and deer die very quickly from head shots neck shots and chest shots. I've had the oppertunity to talk with a young woman who was shot in the neck by her boyfriend. Her spinal cord was severed and she could not feel her body other than a severe burning sensation neck down. She lives to this day. I've talked with and treated patients with gunshot wounds to the chest, usually handguns. The ones that tend to live are hit single lung and limited vascular damage and get to surgery quickly.
I personaly worry that if I shoot a deer in the neck, sure he goes down quick, but there is a good chance he will watch me walk up, take a few high fives with my friends, some photos, and commence to field dress all while trapped in his head and very much alive.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:58 PM   #20

Liked 209 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I also keep my shots in the heart/lung area no matter the yardage. I have killed deer from 20 feet to just shy of 400 yards . Allways tried to use the best bullet for the job, no sp or corelocks. Never shot for the head/neck after seeing some deer with jaws blowed off and rotting neck wounds. Make a good shot or don't shot at all. Thats may view of 40 years of deer hunting.