Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Shot placement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 02:48 AM   #51
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 935 Times on 617 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

Jim, one Javalina season, my buddy took a boar, after we cleaned it and started to prepare the skull for mounting we noticed his nose bone was deformed. We pulled out a broad head from his sinus cavity.... Game animals are much more hardier than we give them credit to be...

As for shoulder shots, there is absolutely nothing wrong with them. On large animals such as Elk/Moose breaking that front shoulder tends to anchor them right there allowing for a follow up if necessary. The most your going to give up is some stew meat. If a hunter is worried about meat loss, then maybe they should head shoot only

Become steel or get cut.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:10 PM   #52

Liked 747 Times on 450 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbkiller View Post
I shoot lots of deer and could care less about shoulder meat. That ends up dog food most of the time anyway. If I can I will make jerky out of it. All I want is a dead deer as fast I can get it done. A deer shot in the shoulder which goes into the lungs will almost always drop right there. Between my sons and I we usually kill 20-25 a year sometimes more. Behind the shoulder, straight up its butt, neck, head (on does) shoulder what ever it takes to kill it quick. We are good shots and feed a poor church in the fall that can use the meat. Does are unlimited where I do most of my hunting so we lay into them. The meat is loved by the members. That's with a rifle you don't even want to know how many we take with a bow. LOL
What LK says about unlimited does is true where I am at. On some properties I hunt the landowner wants us to shoot any doe we see. It gets to be a lot like work so I Like to lay them down where I can drive up to them in a field or avoid tracking them in a cut over. Shoulder shots and corn piles keep my freezer happy.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #53

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Shoulder shots indeed for breaking a shoulder or two and anchoring the animal but ive been known to double lung them quite often, some deer full of adrenaline will run for miles.

ive lost a deer for what i can only describe as a below spine but above lung shot. one speck if blood an no sign for few hundred Ms.

so now i shoulder em