Shot placement - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Shot placement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

I always thought the sweet spot was like "Pin The Tail On The Donkey"?....Aim for the White Tail,No meat loss there!! hahaha lol jkg. jkg.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3860 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

In Germany, the reason we are told to shoot in the "shoulder area" when the animal is horizontal to you, is to hit the heart chamber. Never heard it is to crush the shoulders. I am quite sure it is not a myth that shooting a animal in the heart will drop it.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5538 Times on 3134 Posts
Likes Given: 4818

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttsl View Post
many idiots "think" that the shoulder is the place to aim, but that's stupid on the face of it
Quote:
Thanks for letting me know that. I've only taken a couple hundred head of big game, so I've still got a heck of a lot to learn.

Winston Churchill
People Like This 
Old 06-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #44

Liked 748 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Quote:
many idiots "think" that the shoulder is the place to aim, but that's stupid on the face of it. that myth came from guys wanting to break both shoulders, with .577 double rifles in Africa, on dangerous game. There is no reason whatsoever to bother with such an aiming point on non dangerous game, and many calibers and bullets can't hope to break both shoulders on a big bear. Put a bullet thru both lungs, and no animal is going further than it can run in about 20 seconds, and most won't make it 10 seconds. Almost no meat is destroyed by such a shot. Nobody has to have the meat, in this day and age. If you can't get a decent shot, then be man enough to just let the critter go, to be hunted another day.

Few eat bear meat, tho, so blowing up a lot of the meat doesnt matter much.. Bears eat all types of carrion, to include hogs, which will eat anything and are full of worms, too. haunt garbage dumps, and they drink from puddles at the bottom of the pit, where everything put there for the past 50 years, to include radioactive xray, etc, waste, has had rainwater run over it Guess where that water ends up? Have you ever heard the expression" you are what you eat?"

I personally do not want any deer to run 20 seconds. If you have ever hunted in swamps/cutovers etc you would know that a deer than runs 20 secs can be a 1.5 hr trudge through briars and the roughest mess known to man. Don't be a armchair terd

Old 06-11-2013, 09:42 PM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1872 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 893

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchunt101 View Post
I personally do not want any deer to run 20 seconds. If you have ever hunted in swamps/cutovers etc you would know that a deer than runs 20 secs can be a 1.5 hr trudge through briars and the roughest mess known to man. Don't be a armchair terd
I don't think I have ever had a well place 'boiler room' shot which allowed the animal to cover more than about 50 yards before it failed to proceed. But just remember, 'dodo occurs'!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 06-20-2013, 03:15 AM   #46

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosaj View Post
Good to know. The largest creature i have ever killed was a beefy raccoon.......
I'm in the same boat nosaj. Buy the largest thing I've killed is a mouse with my airsoft gun.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:43 AM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 942 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1218

Quote:
many idiots "think" that the shoulder is the place to aim, but that's stupid on the face of it. that myth came from guys wanting to break both shoulders, with .577 double rifles in Africa, on dangerous game. There is no reason whatsoever to bother with such an aiming point on non dangerous game, and many calibers and bullets can't hope to break both shoulders on a big bear. Put a bullet thru both lungs, and no animal is going further than it can run in about 20 seconds, and most won't make it 10 seconds. Almost no meat is destroyed by such a shot. Nobody has to have the meat, in this day and age. If you can't get a decent shot, then be man enough to just let the critter go, to be hunted another day.

Few eat bear meat, tho, so blowing up a lot of the meat doesnt matter much.. Bears eat all types of carrion, to include hogs, which will eat anything and are full of worms, too. haunt garbage dumps, and they drink from puddles at the bottom of the pit, where everything put there for the past 50 years, to include radioactive xray, etc, waste, has had rainwater run over it Guess where that water ends up? Have you ever heard the expression" you are what you eat?"

Guess I'm an idiot then...Oh the shame I must now face.... I'm also an "over-killer" because I've been known to use a 300 win mag. to kill many
animals with... Whoa is me.....

I've also killed an Kiabab Mule deer that had been high shot through the lungs that healed in seasons past. I believe it was a through and through arrow strike.

Become steel or get cut.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:26 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1872 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 893

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Talon View Post

Guess I'm an idiot then...Oh the shame I must now face.... I'm also an "over-killer" because I've been known to use a 300 win mag. to kill many
animals with... Whoa is me.....

I've also killed an Kiabab Mule deer that had been high shot through the lungs that healed in seasons past. I believe it was a through and through arrow strike.
I too had this experience, but part of the arrow shaft was still in the deer, just over the lungs and under the spine!!! When I was cleaning it I felt something clicking on my knife. When I checked it out it was an aluminum arrow shaft.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 06-21-2013 at 01:20 PM.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:14 PM   #49

Liked 912 Times on 483 Posts
Likes Given: 650

I shoot lots of deer and could care less about shoulder meat. That ends up dog food most of the time anyway. If I can I will make jerky out of it. All I want is a dead deer as fast I can get it done. A deer shot in the shoulder which goes into the lungs will almost always drop right there. Between my sons and I we usually kill 20-25 a year sometimes more. Behind the shoulder, straight up its butt, neck, head (on does) shoulder what ever it takes to kill it quick. We are good shots and feed a poor church in the fall that can use the meat. Does are unlimited where I do most of my hunting so we lay into them. The meat is loved by the members. That's with a rifle you don't even want to know how many we take with a bow. LOL

USMC 74-78

Last edited by limbkiller; 06-20-2013 at 10:17 PM.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:38 AM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

this is an interesting thread. I'm not yet a hunter so I'm learning a lot. I'd like to get into it someday, though. There's something appealing about putting meat on the table in such a manner.

Always have clean socks.