Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Shot placement

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 80
Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I aim for the heart and lung area.

I don't take going away shots.

I use powerful rifles and am ready to shoot again.

Here is a buck hit at 280 yds with my 30-06.

__________________
Control is offline  
MOshooter Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MOshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Show Me State
Posts: 1,474
Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
"Also I won't take a questionable shot if i'm not confident, I will let the animal walk instead of walking away crippled."

Spoken like a true hunter.
Thank you Jagermeister,
Dad started teaching me hunting ethics about 45 years ago,last thing I want is a inhumane shot resulting in crippled game.
__________________
MOshooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: n. canada
Posts: 77
Liked 67 Times on 37 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHunter View Post
Spine above the heart or a neck shot. I have lost 2 many deer after a heart shot because of that last spurt of energy deer esp white tail can get even when shot in the heart. If I am just on a meat run and don't care about preserving the antlers I sometimes try for a headshot. We used to live on reservation in WA because my wife is a tribal member there and we as in she could hunt all year round. All trips then were meat runs because there was no work aside from logging or fire control so we survived by hunting without it we would have starved.
Just curious... if you "lost 2 many deer..." how can you say that they were, in fact, heart shots?
__________________
6_5swedeforelk is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:38 PM   #34
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 506
Liked 183 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default

On a clean broadside shot I shoot 1" behind the shoulder just over halfway up. Some people have told me that is not a great shot placement but it has always worked for me and does not tear up any meat unless you count a couple ounces around the ribs. Deer never made it more then a few feet but I only use high shock bullets with that placement.
If they are close enough or not moving around a bunch a neckshot is as good as any, some people say they can get back up but I have never seen it.

__________________
Apex-Predator is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:26 AM   #35
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 73
Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Default

You thinks this is not the optimum shot placement? Right behind the shoulder in the ribs is the place to aim. It doesn't matter how much ribs or meat in this areas wasted.

If seen way to many animals walking around missing a jaw or other injury due to a missed head shot.

__________________
simpkinst is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:28 AM   #36
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 73
Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpkinst
You thinks this is not the optimum shot placement? Right behind the shoulder in the ribs is the place to aim. It doesn't matter how much ribs or meat in this areas wasted.

If seen way to many animals walking around missing a jaw or other injury due to a missed head shot.
Who thinks....freakin iPhone
__________________
simpkinst is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:32 AM   #37
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 506
Liked 183 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpkinst View Post
You thinks this is not the optimum shot placement? Right behind the shoulder in the ribs is the place to aim. It doesn't matter how much ribs or meat in this areas wasted.

If seen way to many animals walking around missing a jaw or other injury due to a missed head shot.
I have been told that several times over the years, people who think you have to break shoulders and such, anytime I can pulverize both lungs they never go far, and the amount of meat wasted in the ribs is nothing compared to how much you loose hitting a shoulder directly. I am not trying to sell that to anyone but it works for me.
__________________
Apex-Predator is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:22 AM   #38
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 188
Liked 70 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6_5swedeforelk View Post
Just curious... if you "lost 2 many deer..." how can you say that they were, in fact, heart shots?
That was where I was aiming and could tell the round hit most of the time. Ever since I started going for spine shots I have never lost a deer. No better shot than the one that will always drop them on the spot.
__________________
MTHunter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:34 PM   #39
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 96
Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

Default

many idiots "think" that the shoulder is the place to aim, but that's stupid on the face of it. that myth came from guys wanting to break both shoulders, with .577 double rifles in Africa, on dangerous game. There is no reason whatsoever to bother with such an aiming point on non dangerous game, and many calibers and bullets can't hope to break both shoulders on a big bear. Put a bullet thru both lungs, and no animal is going further than it can run in about 20 seconds, and most won't make it 10 seconds. Almost no meat is destroyed by such a shot. Nobody has to have the meat, in this day and age. If you can't get a decent shot, then be man enough to just let the critter go, to be hunted another day.

Few eat bear meat, tho, so blowing up a lot of the meat doesnt matter much.. Bears eat all types of carrion, to include hogs, which will eat anything and are full of worms, too. haunt garbage dumps, and they drink from puddles at the bottom of the pit, where everything put there for the past 50 years, to include radioactive xray, etc, waste, has had rainwater run over it Guess where that water ends up? Have you ever heard the expression" you are what you eat?"

__________________
ttsl is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #40
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Gunluvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default

And have you heard that calling people names and initiating personal attacks based on opinions is the quickest way to undermine one's credibility on a board like this?

__________________
Gunluvr is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Shot placement on deer Georgiahunter Hunting Forum 44 09-23-2011 02:29 AM
Deer shot placement ChicagoJoe Hunting Forum 6 09-14-2011 01:36 AM
Good Article On Shot Placement gorknoids Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 1 12-30-2010 07:11 PM
Self Defense Shot Placement Dillinger Survival & Sustenance Living Forum 34 10-23-2008 02:41 AM
Shot Placement? number1 Survival & Sustenance Living Forum 56 09-20-2008 08:36 PM