Shot placement - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Shot placement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I shot my first mule deer in the lung rib area the fall of 1953 with a 270 Win 130 grain bullet. Since then I have shot them with a 22-250 Rem, 243 Win, 257 Roberts, 25-06 Rem, 264 Win, and 308 Norma Mag. All were with reloaded ammo with a bullet made for deer hunting. A few were neck shots when the shots were within 50 yards but most all were lung rib shots and I have never lost a big game animal . The elk shot with the 270 Win, 308 Norma Mag, and 340 Weatherby Mag were also shot in the lung rib area . None moved over 25 yards. I have shot pronghorn with a 243 Win, 270 Win, and 308 Norma Mag in the lung rib area with none moving over 25 yards.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:04 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1872 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 892

tuck, you mean 'prairie rat country' don't you????
I agree but, on one of the other post someone mentioned 'other places' you could shoot an animal with the same blood lose potential and I have hit the liver a time or two and they went down just as fast as the HL shot.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 05-03-2013, 09:55 PM   #23

Liked 699 Times on 479 Posts
Likes Given: 719

OK, This one is for you Jim. I got a call a couple falls ago from an distant friend. He had been bow hunting and just before dusk a nice buck comes out in front of his tree stand. As he lets the arrow fly, the deer kicks its' hind legs and pivots it @ss towards him. All he see's is orange flights under its' tail. He called me to track it. It was already dark. Driving an hour and starting to track that Whitetail was not happening. I ask what the terrain was. He was on the edge of a 6 acre feild. I told him to go home, go back the next morning and walk to the opposite end of the feild. Got a call at 6:45am it was at the other end of the feild. The broadhead had split the femoral artery for about 6". He asked me not to tell anyone about it.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:59 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

As they say, 'every squirrel gets a nut once in awhile'!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!

Old 05-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I take shoulder shots, spine or neck. One thing I don't like with shoulder shots are the bone splinters.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:58 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvr View Post
I take shoulder shots, spine or neck. One thing I don't like with shoulder shots are the bone splinters.
Welcome to the site. I think you will enjoy it here. Look forward to your input!
Bone splinter are no fun, but they do occur occasionally!

Old 05-26-2013, 01:23 PM   #27

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

I will normally shoot for the heart/lung area,I don't go for the spine because I like the back straps or tenderloins.

I've taken a few neck shots when that was the only shot available,I killed a really nice whitetail buck years ago. He was standing behind three large oak trees only about 80 yards away,with the only presented shot between the oaks trees about 4 or 5 inches between two of the oaks. I hit that deer right in a neck vertebrate with a 7 mm rem mag,that round hit the buck so hard when I moved the deer you could see the impression in the ground of the deer hitting the ground so hard from the round?
What really surprised me the 154 grain bullet did not exit the neck,and on the opposite side of the neck it looked like a half of a baseball sized whelp,but no bullet exit? The next year I handloaded some Nosler 160 grain Partitions for elk hunting and have been using the partitions every since.

Normally I go for the heart/lung area

Old 05-26-2013, 06:01 PM   #28

Liked 67 Times on 37 Posts

MOshooter, a good example of bullet separation or even fragmentation! Had this been an elk or moose and had you decided on a shoulder shot, we may have had a crippled animal.
An excellent example to show the importance of proper bullet selection (partitions or equivilent for mach 3) and the possible flaw in taking a shoulder shot. Just my opinion.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:12 PM   #29

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6_5swedeforelk View Post
MOshooter, a good example of bullet separation or even fragmentation! Had this been an elk or moose and had you decided on a shoulder shot, we may have had a crippled animal.
An excellent example to show the importance of proper bullet selection (partitions or equivilent for mach 3) and the possible flaw in taking a shoulder shot. Just my opinion.

I don't do shoulder shots and the 154 grain bullet was a Hornaday that I handloaded. Also I won't take a questionable shot if i'm not confident, I will let the animal walk instead of walking away crippled .
Old 05-27-2013, 12:15 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3860 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

"Also I won't take a questionable shot if i'm not confident, I will let the animal walk instead of walking away crippled."

Spoken like a true hunter.