Shot placement - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Shot placement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 07:56 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I always go for the heart lung shots. With the neck or head shots, there is too much chance of a wound that will only cripple for a long slow death. If you watch a deer, the head and neck are moved often and quickly. Not the best for a shot. When hit in the heart lung area the deer will drop quickly. I and those I have hunted with for the last 50 years have never lost a deer hit in the chest with a deer round. There is always a blood trail if the animal happens to make it out of sight.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #12

Liked 913 Times on 483 Posts
Likes Given: 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHunter View Post
I have lost 2 many deer after a heart shot because of that last spurt of energy deer esp white tail can get even when shot in the heart.
No animal shot in the heart should get away. Hit there they take off on a mad dash and for me, NEVER have they run over 100yds. They always left a great blood trail a blind man could follow. With the heart blown away they are dead in less than 4-5 seconds.

USMC 74-78

Old 04-28-2013, 09:18 PM   #13

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbkiller View Post

No animal shot in the heart should get away. Hit there they take off on a mad dash and for me, NEVER have they run over 100yds. They always left a great blood trail a blind man could follow. With the heart blown away they are dead in less than 4-5 seconds.
This is kinda why I was curious, mine usually make that mad dash but never get far. 50 yards furthest I had one go, and I've never had a railed problem finding the animal. A friend of mine always shoots the shoulder to avoid the dash, but I feel like there is alot of meat there. No arguing that a shoulder shot will put a damper on the dash though I guess.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #14

Liked 70 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbkiller View Post

It was probably more my fault they got away but I have seen these whitetails here in Montana and in Washington run about 300 yards before they drop from a heart shot. I will just stick with my spine shots since I am admittedly a pretty ****ty tracker. Shoot them in the spine that animal drops on the spot.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:27 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1876 Times on 1100 Posts
Likes Given: 894

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalboy26 View Post
This is kinda why I was curious, mine usually make that mad dash but never get far. 50 yards furthest I had one go, and I've never had a railed problem finding the animal. A friend of mine always shoots the shoulder to avoid the dash, but I feel like there is alot of meat there. No arguing that a shoulder shot will put a damper on the dash though I guess.
Exactly. Many of those I hunted with use the shot to break down the shoulder to stop the animal. This requires the shot to be lined up exactly to get both the shoulder and the heart/lung. My experience, as I said above, is the same as yours, 50 yds max, but most were DITT.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 05-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #16

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

It "can" get complicated,which really doesn't jibe well with the whole intent of putting meat on the ground.Terminal ballistics "should" be easy-peazy...get enough gun/calibre,hit'm in the boiler rm and break out the skinning knife.

But,it gets a little more involved than that.A few factors below that stirs the pot.

Shot angle.....and how placement effects this.IOWs,if you have a full broadside shot and you're good enough to keep all shots in a pie plate at "X" amt of distance.....devided by wobble factor.....the hit/kill probability is what?Change shot angle to a "quartering away",now how does that pie plate accuracy envelope factor in?

Shot angle effect on terminal ballistics.Same scenerio as above....a full broadside vs Quartering away.In the latter,the bullet may have to go through a cpl ribs and maintain its path to reach vitals......could be a long'ish wound channel.What "was" enough bullet for broadside,might come up short on longish(wound channel) angles.

Ballistics in general.Compare a .243...which can lead to serious debate in itself as to it's effectiveness on Deer sized animals......But,is exactly why I'm using it>Compare a wound channel on a broadside dbl lung hit of a .243 at say less than 50 yds,with same bullet and a 400 yd shot.Both with identical placement."Premium" bullets are great....but you can still get outside the lines WRT expectations.

Above are just a few reasons experience plays such a vital role in hunting,effectively.You've asked a great question........some see the answers as easy,and they can be.Just keep asking season'd hunters about shot angles,anatomy,bullet performance,etc.You'll see patterns develop.Be careful however putting too much stock in trophy hunters.Yes,they'll have input...and it is valuable.But temper that with a "meat hunter"....you know the guy.Been using the same 30-30 for 40 years and putting meat in the locker.Both have accomplished the intended task....Dead Deer.But the methods and tools can be drastically different.

I bow hunt with a recurve and go for dbl lung shots.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:08 PM   #17

Liked 164 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 43

There are so many places you can shoot a deer at that will kill it immediately, even a butt shot,not ideal but there are a lot of blood vessels back there.Definitely the best tried and true spot is behind the shoulder so you take out the lungs, if they can't breath, they can't run.The only other spot I go for is the neck because again, with a broken neck, they can't run.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 05-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #18

Liked 164 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Another thing, a really important thing to remember is that shot placement is more critical if the animal is stressed.If you are in a heavily populated area where hunters all the sudden fill the woods, and the deer are spooked, you can put a shot right through the heart and they can still run and run for a long time because their blood is full of adrenalin, as where if the deer is calm and has no clue you are there, maybe it's grazing or something, and you made that same shot-it will drop right there without a step.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 05-03-2013, 05:56 AM   #19
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1569 Times on 960 Posts
Likes Given: 7988

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalboy26 View Post
Im curious as to where everyone else places their shot on deer, elk, or antelope, and why? I've always gone just behind the front shoulder to avoid damaging meat, but I hear a lot of other guys saying they like to shoot the front shoulder. I even hear some people say they shoot the neck or spinal cord.
Depends on the weapon, and the range to the target.

Shotgun: 15 yards or less: right behind the ear, or head shot.
No sense in wasting meat, and I owe the animal the quickest death possible.
16 to 50 yards: heart lung, right behind the shoulder
Over 50: see above.

Pistol: same as shotgun

Bow: 0 to 30 yards: heart\lung, between the shoulder and the last rib. varies with shot angle.
30 and beyond, I will wait for it to get closer. If it doesn't come in closer, it wasn't meant to be.

Rifle: 0 to 25 yards, head for the same reason as shotgun
25 to 250 yards, Heart\lung area, generally right between the shoulder and the elbow, about 6 inches back.

I am not out there to kill, I am not out there only for the meat. I am out there for the time with my friends and family, and it is our job to teach the next generation the right way. The animal must be respected, as must all of nature's gifts. If I fill a tag, great. If I don't, it still beats the hell out of a day at work. My take on it, YMMV.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 05-03-2013, 08:42 AM   #20

Liked 287 Times on 193 Posts

Good to know. The largest creature i have ever killed was a beefy raccoon.......