Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Shot placement (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/shot-placement-89596/)

kalboy26 04-26-2013 05:37 AM

Shot placement

Im curious as to where everyone else places their shot on deer, elk, or antelope, and why? I've always gone just behind the front shoulder to avoid damaging meat, but I hear a lot of other guys saying they like to shoot the front shoulder. I even hear some people say they shoot the neck or spinal cord.

MTHunter 04-26-2013 07:28 AM

Spine above the heart or a neck shot. I have lost 2 many deer after a heart shot because of that last spurt of energy deer esp white tail can get even when shot in the heart. If I am just on a meat run and don't care about preserving the antlers I sometimes try for a headshot. We used to live on reservation in WA because my wife is a tribal member there and we as in she could hunt all year round. All trips then were meat runs because there was no work aside from logging or fire control so we survived by hunting without it we would have starved.

tri70 04-26-2013 11:04 AM

If they are close and standing, a neck or head shot works. If they are running and you feel confident in a shot, the heart/lung area works. Also the longer the distance the kill zone for heart/lung is better.

hairbear1 04-26-2013 11:50 AM

I prefer to hit my deer and for that fact pigs and goats around the chest area or about 5" below the shoulder so that the projectile drives in and smashes the front leg and then gets into the heart/lung area and busts up all the vitals smashing arteries etc.

With a front on shot I aim about the middle of the chest as this will pulp the heart and lungs. Running shots are a thing I don't really do much of(on deer) because I'm not that good as I used to be on these as I used to practice running shots on rabbits so I just let them go with a free pass till next time.

John_Deer 04-26-2013 12:28 PM

I shoot for the neck if it is an easy shot. When I shoot a deer in the shoulders I shoot the deer right in the shoulder blades. I also use a shotgun slug, 30/06 or 5.62 x 54r. All three damage the shoulder blades enough that the deer can not use its front legs. I have shot deer with a 5.62 x 39 and a 5.56. Neither cartridge had enough power to put the deer down right there. They did kill the deer but it ran a considerable distance. When I cleaned the deer both rounds failed to create a suitable wound channel. The hole in the deer's shoulder blade looked like it was drilled. The larger calibers shattered the deers shoulder blades.

JimRau 04-26-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalboy26 (Post 1227456)
Im curious as to where everyone else places their shot on deer, elk, or antelope, and why? I've always gone just behind the front shoulder to avoid damaging meat, but I hear a lot of other guys saying they like to shoot the front shoulder. I even hear some people say they shoot the neck or spinal cord.

It depends on the 'totality of the circumstances'! ;)
Short of a 'central nervous system' hit, the only way to stop the animal (of any size) is oxygen deprivation to the brain caused by blood lose.
If the range is short, winds are calm, you have a VERY accurate weapon, the animal is relaxed and not moving, and you have 'practiced' enough to be 100% sure you can make the shot a central nervous system shot is the way to go. :cool:
BUT this is not a perfect world and I have only had a few times when these 'conditions' were PERFECT so I have used the 'boiler room' (heart lung) shot most of the time. I have NEVER lost an animal when I have done my part (choosing the right bullet and placing it properly) using the heart lung shot on everything from antelope to elk.;)

kalboy26 04-27-2013 05:48 AM

For those of you that take shoulder shots, do you feel like you damage much meat? I've never dared to take a head or neck shot, to small a Target for me on something that wont usually hold still. I suppose if I was fairly close and it was lined up right I wouldn't hesitate though.

Jagermeister 04-27-2013 06:12 AM

Neck shot or the heart chamber. I only take side shots. No Texas heart shots!

hairbear1 04-27-2013 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalboy26 (Post 1228574)
For those of you that take shoulder shots, do you feel like you damage much meat? I've never dared to take a head or neck shot, to small a Target for me on something that wont usually hold still. I suppose if I was fairly close and it was lined up right I wouldn't hesitate though.

I don't think so as mostly up front is the ribs and etc and not much meat where as the back half of the critter is where most of the meat is.

When I bust rabbits with the .22 in the head/neck area I generally dress out the rabbit and depending on the damage done to the front of the rabbit cut the front half off and give it to the dog.

Hawg 04-27-2013 01:55 PM

I almost always take a heart/lung shot a few inches behind the shoulder. I don't like head shots because if you pull it you run the risk of blowing a deers lower jaw off giving it a very painful, slow death from starvation. That being said there are exceptions. My last deer I took a head shot at 65 yards with my Hawken. She had turned away from me and was slowly moving away. Every now and then I had a chance at the back of her head so I felt that if I did miss my shot it would be a miss altogether. The round ball went in behind her ear and she dropped like a rock. That's the first head shot I've taken in 46 years. I only ever took one before that and was rewarded with a six inch piece of antler.