Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > short range sniper....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2011, 05:21 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default closeing the distance

great stories ! Thank yall for your reply to this thread ....Ive killed lots of deer and hogs ,2 bull elk ,and good muley buck , but my most memorable was the 2 yr old 5 point whitetail . i had been hunting in a ladder til my back and butt couldn't stand another minute...so i climbed down and formulated a plan to still hunt a little section of woods near the property line .In east tx early november is crazy weatherwise 40's at dawn 70-80's at noon ,wind changes constantly! I played the odds knowing wind would probably change , I stalked back to a bedding area ...caught me a horny straggler that stayed out a little too late with the ladies ....trotting down a old logging road ...tongue hanging out ...looking like a vampire racing the sun ! At 12 steps ...when he looked up ,the blr 30-06 took him dead center chest ...he sat down on his rear ...then got up ,falling ,thrashing stumbling towards me ....when he expired I could have touched him with the muzzle! Aint nothin better than'' besting'' a deer on the ground ''still ''hunting !

Old 09-13-2011, 02:53 PM   #12

I was sitting in a tree stand on a cold December morning with a .270 rifle watching a number of deer running about 200 yards away when I heard a little russel just behind me. Turned around to two button bucks about 30 yards away, if that.

When I turned, they looked up and froze. Dropped the first one and the other remained still. Chambered another round and dropped him as well.

My buddy came around after hearing the two shots and asked "I heard two shots, did you miss em'??". I just pointed at the two bucks with a big ole' grin.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:27 AM   #13

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmoyer View Post
I was sitting in a tree stand on a cold December morning with a .270 rifle watching a number of deer running about 200 yards away when I heard a little russel just behind me. Turned around to two button bucks about 30 yards away, if that.

When I turned, they looked up and froze. Dropped the first one and the other remained still. Chambered another round and dropped him as well.

My buddy came around after hearing the two shots and asked "I heard two shots, did you miss em'??". I just pointed at the two bucks with a big ole' grin.

Was this story designed to make some of us jealous? Here in Oregon that stunt would have gotten you a nice vacation from hunting and the loss of your rifle and maybe pickup and tree stand.

See we don't really have any way I know of to harvest two deer in the same season or hunt. You would have to draw a special doe tag that was for a controled hunt that ran concurent with a general season buck hunt.

You East coast boys have all the fun.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by awahlster View Post
Was this story designed to make some of us jealous? Here in Oregon that stunt would have gotten you a nice vacation from hunting and the loss of your rifle and maybe pickup and tree stand.

See we don't really have any way I know of to harvest two deer in the same season or hunt. You would have to draw a special doe tag that was for a controled hunt that ran concurent with a general season buck hunt.

You East coast boys have all the fun.
Haha, just telling the story. I had 6 tags (I beleive 4 of which were anterless) when purchasing the standard hunting license for deer.

The problem that I do encounter that you may not is finding the land to hunt on. Living close to the city requires a significant commute typically.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:33 PM   #15

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I was walking to my truck to go to work one morning, and as I rounded the corner of the house I came face to face with a pretty big white tail doe. We both jumped straight in the air making all kinds of funny noises and took off in opposite directions. I've never seen a deer miss a jump before but when she tried to jump the barb wire fence she got a leg tangled really bad. I got my pistol from the truck thinking hey this is easy meat, and when I walked up to her she got loose. The range opened up so fast I had to let her go, couldn't risk the shot.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:34 PM   #16

Most people I know have taken whitetail here in w/Pa. @ or within 100 yrds. So I often ask these guys what they hunt with. Heres a small list: 6.5x55 swede, 7mm-08, 30.06, 270, 30-30, 303 Brit, 8x57, 7x57, 308. All good calibers for whitetail. So why on the other hand do some "great whitetail hunters" require rifles chambered in say 7mm Mag, 300 Weatherby, 338 Lapua, 300 Win Mag, 458, 264 Mag? Not to mention the whiz bang calibers like the new short magnums. Long range hunting beyond 100 yrds seems to be more prevalent out west. Mule deer, bighorn sheep and pronghorns are usually hunted at what I would consider extreme range. Hence the need for the magnum calibers.

Springfield 1911: Like American express, Don't leave home without it.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:37 PM   #17

Default Smile

Say cheese! Is this close enough?

100_1924.jpg  

Springfield 1911: Like American express, Don't leave home without it.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:18 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5324 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1982flh80 View Post
Most people I know have taken whitetail here in w/Pa. @ or within 100 yrds. So I often ask these guys what they hunt with. Heres a small list: 6.5x55 swede, 7mm-08, 30.06, 270, 30-30, 303 Brit, 8x57, 7x57, 308. All good calibers for whitetail. So why on the other hand do some "great whitetail hunters" require rifles chambered in say 7mm Mag, 300 Weatherby, 338 Lapua, 300 Win Mag, 458, 264 Mag? Not to mention the whiz bang calibers like the new short magnums. Long range hunting beyond 100 yrds seems to be more prevalent out west. Mule deer, bighorn sheep and pronghorns are usually hunted at what I would consider extreme range. Hence the need for the magnum calibers.
i use 458 cuz its a fantastic deer round. less meat damage than a 30-30 and drops them where they stand.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-24-2011, 11:01 PM   #19

Two for the books. Three feet for a javilina I called in with a varmint call, and 25 ft for a feral hog I snuck up on in a swamp from about 25yards.... Both one arrow kills.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:50 PM   #20
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmoyer View Post
Haha, just telling the story. I had 6 tags (I beleive 4 of which were anterless) when purchasing the standard hunting license for deer.

The problem that I do encounter that you may not is finding the land to hunt on. Living close to the city requires a significant commute typically.
Yep, here in IN getting tags isnt the issue.....finding permission to hunt land is the issue. Hell i can get 9 tags for the counties around me. (8 antlerless and one antlered) or in the urban zone here i could get 18 tags (16 antlerless and 2 antlered) but good luck getting permission to hunt!

Farmers whine and bitch about crop damage but never allow anyone on their property...or allow 1-2 people on.

I just got tossed off a property because the old guy that was hunting it before me went to the land owner bitching saying "If he hunts here this year i'm not!" the greedy old bastard has 35 acres of his own, another 50 acres 20 minutes north of where we were hunting, the 40 i got tossed from and over 100 acres in the urban zone here!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!