short range sniper....
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > short range sniper....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2011, 06:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default short range sniper....

We have all heard guys talking about really long shots on big game .....let's here about your closest shot on deer ,hogs ,elk etc ....where your hunting ability using stealth ,camo ,woodsmanship ,utilization of wind etc helped you get really close .....blinds/ elevated stands dont count ...still hunting ,ground level only please . Gun ,bow ,pistol ,spear .... thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-03-2011, 06:31 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9542 Times on 4105 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Was deer hunting, opening day, muzzleloader season. Was staked out on a trail thru some heavy woods- trail came down into, and up out of a 5 ft deep drainage ditch. Had a GREAT hide site that was 3 ft to the right of the trail, just inside the lip of the ditch. Had been in the hide for about an hour, and here comes a doe (not legal) trotting down the trail. I sat, not breathing, waiting for the buck that MIGHT be following behind her (ladies first).

She trotted right down the trail, down into the ditch, and up the other side- 3 ft to my left. Could not resist- as she passed, whipped off my cap, and slapped her across the ass. I swear she LEVITATED about 8 ft straight up!

On reflection, was not a good idea- deer hooves are SHARP- but just could not resist.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-03-2011, 01:47 PM   #3

Liked 210 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 293

I do the vast majority of my deer hunting from the ground, even bow hunting. I would say the best stalk I have ever made on a deer would have been in a lease I had last year. I was hunting one side of a 700 yard field, and of course the deer come out on the other side. Being as I am the most impatient person in the world I decided to put a lil stalk together. The deer were walking towards me and facing me the entire time. The only cover I had was about three rows of standing corn, the rest of the field was mowed down weeds and alfalfa. I actually made it to about 45 yards on the lead doe and made a shot...she tasted wonderful.

Other than that, my first bow harvest was at about 10 feet, I had a makeshift blind with burlap camo covering. How that deer did not see my 6'6" long lanky a$$ stand up and draw my bow I'll never know. I guess the good Lord wanted to reward me for all the hours I had in the woods without harvesting any meat for the freezer.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:05 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1262 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 534

Default 2005 LA deer season

Hunting Deer with hounds is legal in much of LA.

One of my fellow hunters was in the right place at the right time and the pack pushed a buck to him just to the north of me. FH shot the deer and knocked it down. FH called over his radio that he shot a buck, then mumbled something unitelligible followed by two more shots. 2-3 minutes later I heard the leaves rustling and limbs cracking. The buck came out of a thicket and stopped at ~15 yards. My 270 put an end to that chase.

Upon close examination, FH had hit the deer at the base of the horn, stunning the deer, but drawing no blood.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1177 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 710

i was hunting with my muzzleloader. and took my morning still dark nap. when i opened my eyes just at that perfect getting light time. much to my surprise i was looking directly into the eyes of a yearling buck.. he took two hops and turned broadside. bang.. no more hops..

the buck in the pic was a similiar story. but he was about fifteen yards away when we saw each other

my-buck-2010-2.jpg  

Old 09-03-2011, 07:16 PM   #6

Liked 53 Times on 33 Posts

hunting on an island in the Santiam River Near Jefferson OR. With some friends using a borrowed Winchester Model 94 c1905. I stopped to do my morning business and while squatting there all I could think about was all the funny stories you hear about guys missing out on some big buck while taking a pee or something.

Well I stood up did up my pants (noticed one of the other guys about 100 yards away through the brush) I reached down pickup the trusty 30-30 and turned around to head the other direction.

As soon as I turned around there not 20 yards away was a small forked horn Blacktail buck with the biggest eyes I have ever seen on a deer. His head was on the ground and he seamed to be almost tasting the air (no accounting for taste LOL) I slowly raised the rifle to my shoulder took it off of half cock and pointed it directly between his antlers. His head started to raise. And then he tipped his head back to an extreme angle. This changed the POA I had so I aimed at it's chin figuring at the close range the bullet would just miss the chin and take out a section of neck.

I fired the little buck slammed into the ground like he's been dropped from 20 ft. I walked up to him and saw I had just skipped the ball on his chin and then taken out about a 3-4" long section of his back bone about an inch down from the Occipital opening in the back of the skull. the deadest deer I ever shot.

As a kid hunting with my dad in the tall ferns around Silverfalls State Park I twice stepped on does bedded down in the ferns. Both times I ended up on my arse.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:51 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

First deer i ever killed was when i was 13 years old with a mossberg 500 w/ slug barrel. I was sitting in some thicket with my father watching 6 deer about 600 yards away walking straight toward us. Out of no where a very nice sized doe came walking along right infront of us. I would guess 20 yards. I quickly raised my shotgun and shot with a clean double lung shot and the doe dropped instantly. I was pretty excited for my first kill. I will always remember that evening with my father.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:27 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2258 Times on 1228 Posts
Likes Given: 3528

My closest shot was a big sow standing under my 12 foot tree stand.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:01 AM   #9

Liked 184 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 185

muskrat 5 foot away .357 mag hollow point to the head, me and my old man were hunting a muskrat in my ants pond he had the 22 and I had the 357 (I don't remember why) he was scanning the pond and the little SOB came out of the hole right under his feet I waited till it got farther away they shot it blood everywhere.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 09-04-2011, 04:04 AM   #10

Liked 41 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I have walked right into a bedded down herd twice before.First time i never got a shot. they scared me as bad as i scared them.One moment it was silent and I was easing along and the next All hell broke loose. One elk was only about ten feet to my right and I am prety sure was the lead cow who noticed me and in a split second bolted with the others following.The second time i got big cow as she stood up about 30 feet in front of me.Another time I was scanning the brush in front of me and seen a five point rag horn looking right at me from about 25 feet peering out of the brush. I shot him dead center between the eyes.
Elk for the most part spook easy like a white tail but if you walk up on them they will stand still as a statue like a deer sometimes.As long as you raise your rifle slowly they wont spook and you can draw a nice bead on them.