Shooting Rabbit

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Shooting Rabbit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2007, 04:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Shooting Rabbit

My dad told me, when I was younger, that rabbits are difficult to shoot because even THEY don't know where they are running to. So what's the secret to shooting a rabbit that's on the run?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-07-2007, 05:40 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Shooting rabbit?

Hello all

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

With all due respect to your DAD, he was only partially correct! Rabbits do run in one direction, but for only a short time? I've taken them with Rifles in 22, Slingshots as a Kid! I taught a course in the Military where Small game is taken with a Stick, Like the Indians did hundreds of years ago! Even Black Powder Revolvers, as Long as you lead them as they run in a short, strait line, you have a good chance at hitting them! This is what works for me, your actual lifes experience might differ?

Old 09-18-2007, 02:49 AM   #3

yep, rabbits don't run long unless they are chased. It's not hard to head shot a rabbit. A .410 pump to me is the best shotgun for rabbit hunting. Leading a rabbit gives you a head shot to. Practice makes perfect though. Just get out there and hunt them often.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:54 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Their is really no trick to shooting rabbits. You just have to follow through when you shoot. When I was younger I had an Mossburg .22 single shot that I hunted rabbits with. The best year I ever had I got 17 rabbits with 18 shots and would have got the 18 th. but Lefty shot him befor I could run him down.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 10-22-2007, 02:01 AM   #5

They do run very irratically but usually not for long. I've always had great luck with stopping in my tracks immediately after I jump one and waiting for it to stop. They don't tend to run very long if they aren't being pursued. A head shot is always easy when they've stopped to listen for any more signs of danger.

Old 10-27-2007, 05:14 PM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Shooting rabbits

There's few things that are more fun than shooting at running rabbits with a good .22 semiauto(ruger 10-22). I'm native american and my great uncle taught me a unusal method for stopping a rabbit that's running. Just before the rabbit hits cover,use owl call and it will stop most of the time. The reason for this is because owls are a MAJOR predator of rabbits,when the cottontail hears owl call,he'll stop and look for the owl to (I assume) see how close it is and decide on best cover where it'll be protected.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:46 PM   #7

Default Owl call

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
There's few things that are more fun than shooting at running rabbits with a good .22 semiauto(ruger 10-22). I'm native american and my great uncle taught me a unusal method for stopping a rabbit that's running. Just before the rabbit hits cover,use owl call and it will stop most of the time. The reason for this is because owls are a MAJOR predator of rabbits,when the cottontail hears owl call,he'll stop and look for the owl to (I assume) see how close it is and decide on best cover where it'll be protected.
I Never thunk of that, I'll have to add that to my arsenal and give it a try!!! Sounds like it would more than likly work!!!

If you run your just going to die tired!!!

Old 10-27-2007, 09:48 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

It's illegal to hunt at night in most states. It is also illegal, in most states, to discharge a firearm from a moving vehicle, but a bunny or rabbit will remain in your headlights and use the light to see it's way at night. I've followed many jackrabbits and mountain hares up winding mountain roads for miles at a time before.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:39 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here in sagebrush country I try to work it so I jump them and they run uphill. Walking up narrow canyons or along hillsides gives me the best chance of running where I want them to.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:45 AM   #10

In my experience, unless its being chased, it will stop every 20 or so feet, giving you a chance for a good shot.