Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Shooting pigeons in barns. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/shooting-pigeons-barns-31783/)

Davyboy 09-15-2010 09:58 PM

Shooting pigeons in barns.

My daughters show jumping trainer has asked me to shoot ferrel pigeons in the indoor arena. The roof is from 1970s asbestos. I am looking for advice on how to shoot them without damaging the roof.

Biohazard2 09-15-2010 10:06 PM

Spot and Shoot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davyboy (Post 351174)
My daughters show jumping trainer has asked me to shoot ferrel pigeons in the indoor arena. The roof is from 1970s asbestos. I am looking for advice on how to shoot them without damaging the roof.

.22 shorts with Blaser or bird shot, go at night with a light, spot and shoot.
A friend of mine eats them, he will go to the barn with a burlap bag and come out with a bag full of live pigeons.
He takes the ones left over and goes to the other end of town and sells them.

BillM 09-15-2010 10:06 PM

I used to use a old Crosman pump up 22 cal pellet gun. 3 pumps was enough
to knock them out of the rafters, but a miss wouldn't even dent the metal
roof.

You might try Aguila Colibri or Super Colibri ammo, or maybe a primer powered
wax or rubber bullet load. If you are feeling sporting, a wrist rocket and a
pocket full of marbles, or a blowgun will do the job.:)

orangello 09-15-2010 10:52 PM

Get a scissor lift or something & get up on their level to shoot horizontal rather than vertical with a pellet gun; that should eliminate misses. My pellet gun has a handy scope that limits my misses.

Alternatively, you could use a catapult to launch feral cats at the pigeons, but the kitties might have some rough landings. I don't suppose their is anyway you could use some gas on them? Some gasses go up, which is where the birds are, and birds are really sensitive to poison gas (mining).

spittinfire 09-15-2010 11:20 PM

22 with rat shot. It doesn't take much to kill a pigeon and they won't go thru any walls or roof. That was what my dad/granddad used on the farm for years. My dad got a quarter a piece for a pigeon from his grandfather(he liked pigeon pot pie) which was big money back in the day.

lonyaeger 09-15-2010 11:52 PM

Man, you sure don't want to stir up that asbestos, whether you use birdshot or pellets or whatever. I sure understand your wanting to help, but I would take a pass on that one........

Flint Rock 09-16-2010 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davyboy (Post 351174)
The roof is from 1970s asbestos.

After that line............ I sorta kinda thought maybe I wouldn't wanta shoot at the birds!

dog2000tj 09-16-2010 01:30 AM

Don't shoot them at all, use instant white rice. Leave it in piles, the pigeon will eat it until they choke on it. Then just dispose of them. :)

canebrake 09-16-2010 01:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sarin gas....................

m260gt 09-16-2010 01:53 AM

give them rice and water and watch them explode. hahaha