Shooting or Hunting
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Shooting or Hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2010, 07:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Shooting or Hunting

I never hunted, but I like shooting Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays and now Prairie Dogs.

Think I am hooked on this Prairie Dog thing, but is that hunting or shooting?

IMHO, not too hard to sneak up on a P Dog, so this cannot be hunting...

But, it is a very long drive from Pennsylvania to dog towns... does the long drive count as the hunt?

What do you think of someone who shoot those cute little critters, bad boy? not a sportsman?

Tell me the truth, I need to break the addiction...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-26-2010, 08:02 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldscuba View Post
Think I am hooked on this Prairie Dog thing, but is that hunting or shooting?

What do you think of someone who shoot those cute little critters, bad boy? not a sportsman?
Pest/vermin control. I think they might be saving somebody or a horse a broken leg. Blast away, IMO.

Have you tried coyotes? Kill em all, let the maggots sort them out.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:05 PM   #3

Likes Given: 2

Not too hard to sneak up on them, but they are small, rather quick targets. Kinda look at it like it is live target shooting. Way more fun that setting a trap or laying poison out!!!

Old 02-26-2010, 08:10 PM   #4

That would depend on a couple of things. And this is my personal opinion. I consider it hunting if you actually use the animal in one way or another, be it for trophy or food. If you are just shooting and leaving the animal where they lay, well I don't consider that hunting. Now there is also the difference of a hunter and a sportsman. Shooting prarie dogs does not fall into either category for me. Personal opinion.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Old 02-26-2010, 08:17 PM   #5

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Default Vermin

Look on the bright if you are hunting and killing vermin at the same time that makes you a conservationalist LMAO

Old 02-26-2010, 08:27 PM   #6

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Personally, plinking varmits is not hunting. It is what it is.

I hunt, but I don't trophy hunt. I like to eat what I kill, if it is edible and fits into "game" category. I've never eaten prarie dog, but I imagine it would be fine tasting. Maybe like squirrel.

Feral cat shooting is not hunting either, to me. It is ridding the area of pests.

Coyote shooting is hunting to me because they are not very easy to hunt. I don't eat them, but they are a predator/scavanger that can be very destructive to farm animals, deer population and domesticated pets.

I say plink away and enjoy.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 02-26-2010, 08:41 PM   #7

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Personally, plinking varmits is not hunting. It is what it is.

I hunt, but I don't trophy hunt. I like to eat what I kill, if it is edible and fits into "game" category. I've never eaten prarie dog, but I imagine it would be fine tasting. Maybe like squirrel.

Feral cat shooting is not hunting either, to me. It is ridding the area of pests.

Coyote shooting is hunting to me because they are not very easy to hunt. I don't eat them, but they are a predator/scavanger that can be very destructive to farm animals, deer population and domesticated pets.

I say plink away and enjoy.
exactamundo, Skull.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:03 PM   #8

Some folks keep these as pets! Cute little rats

I was told by a South Dakota PD shooter that if Walt Disney ever decided to dress up P Dogs and make a movie with them, they become an US endangered speices... like some state are already trying to do.

Let see, I ve see them dancing and kissing... so give them a little Suit Jacket 'n a Top Hat they be a star

Old 02-26-2010, 09:03 PM   #9

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Default Hunting

I am extremly lucky I have stalked red deer in Scotland and shot a Royal stag 12 pointer. In our part of the world hunting is few and far between even squirrels and rabbits are running scared. You may or may not have heard about the ban on fox hunting in UK. They are now turning up in towns as urban pests. Freakin pests, bloody do gooders never shot or hunted or understand the countryside. God forbid it may eventually happen to you.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:26 PM   #10

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davyboy View Post
I am extremly lucky I have stalked red deer in Scotland and shot a Royal stag 12 pointer. In our part of the world hunting is few and far between even squirrels and rabbits are running scared. You may or may not have heard about the ban on fox hunting in UK. They are now turning up in towns as urban pests. Freakin pests, bloody do gooders never shot or hunted or understand the countryside. God forbid it may eventually happen to you.
Hunting in the States generates lots of money. Plus, the auto insurance companies press the individual states to up the number of deer limit and lengthen the hunting seasons.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!