self defense while camping - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > self defense while camping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2010, 01:37 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I usually always have a Glock G20 10mm on my hip when I'm in the woods. No matter what season it is.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:41 PM   #62
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

There was a bear attack in the ElDorado Nat'l Forest yesterday. A guy got 20 something stitches, so it could have been worse. It was at a campground and the bear was after food. The bear was eventually found about a quarter mile away and killed.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-03-2010, 08:20 PM   #63
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3060 Times on 1760 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surftaco View Post
im pretty sure a bear would hoof it if you fired pretty much any caliber gun. Loud noises they dont like. Unless of course its a 500lb grizzly. We have small black bears in the panhandle of Florida.
Have you seen where black bears have been in Shalimar and a couple of other area towns? Most of the bears in the panhandle are near airports (Valapraiso and Eglin AFB). Loud noises don't seem to affect them.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-04-2010, 06:59 AM   #64

I was out black bear hunting in the UP (upper penisula of Michigan) a while back and was sittin in a pop up blind. Had a .270 and a knife on me. Black bears dont make much noise when they are walking up through the woods and while im watching the bait pile i hear a single little twig snap. I slowly looked out the window and about 20yds from my blind there was a pretty decent sized black bear. If i had moved i would of scared him off so i waited for him to get the to the bait pile... but he decided the blind looked much more interesting so he poked his head in the window, by that time i had my knife out and such and when i turned to look at him he must of crapped himself when he saw me move because he was out of there as fast as his feet could take him. I tried to get my gun on him but he was long gone.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:16 PM   #65

Unless your camping in Brown or Grizzly country (I know some say it's the same bear) I wouldn't worry as much about bears as I would the two legged predators. After living in the North woods of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan most of my life (black bear, wolf, cougar, coyote, and even a few wild hogs) and being a LEO for 31 years, I know where the real danger and attacks have come from. A 40 S&W or above will work nicely.

Old 07-04-2010, 05:34 PM   #66

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
If the entrance doesn't have a metal detector, I'm carrying, period.

Signs on doors assume you can read.
I like this. Cane, some of your posts just make me laugh sometimes.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:38 AM   #67

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepwoods View Post
Unless your camping in Brown or Grizzly country (I know some say it's the same bear) I wouldn't worry as much about bears as I would the two legged predators. After living in the North woods of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan most of my life (black bear, wolf, cougar, coyote, and even a few wild hogs) and being a LEO for 31 years, I know where the real danger and attacks have come from. A 40 S&W or above will work nicely.
While you're probably right that humans are more likely to cause a problem than an animal, why not be prepared for both. I was up in the Wet Mountains just north of San Isabel (big time black bear country) with the family this weekend.

We took a hike on Sunday. A .44 mag loaded hot rode on my thigh along with speed-loaders, of course. A Beretta model 21 in my front pocket. (yes I'm comfortable with that for most 2 legged creatures).

At camp the .44 remained on my thigh, but a 12 gauge loaded with 00 Buck shot was with in reach.

I feel safest being ready for any type of encounter, human or animal.

And BTW. . . Black bears are much more dangerous than Brown.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:15 AM   #68

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

If brown bear carries through an attack (as opposed to a bluff charge), the odds are (they say) that it will whup you til you quit moving and then carry on about its business having nullified the threat. So playing dead is an option. If a black bear carries through an attack it means to eat you. So vigorous resistance is called for. Not to say a brownie WON'T decide to eat you once he thinks he's killed you. Waste not, want not. Or as an old friend of mine once said "Once you've knocked the bastard out you just as well take his wallet".

Old 07-06-2010, 07:46 AM   #69

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
If brown bear carries through an attack (as opposed to a bluff charge), the odds are (they say) that it will whup you til you quit moving and then carry on about its business having nullified the threat. So playing dead is an option. If a black bear carries through an attack it means to eat you. So vigorous resistance is called for. Not to say a brownie WON'T decide to eat you once he thinks he's killed you. Waste not, want not. Or as an old friend of mine once said "Once you've knocked the bastard out you just as well take his wallet".
That's pretty much accurate. . . I don't think I want to take my chances with either. Have ya'll seen any "I Shouldn't Be Alive" videos? Getting mauled is no fun.

Bottom line, in case of encounter, is:

1. Try to make enough noise to keep predators away. Bears are always the most talked about, but Mountain Lions are total beasts and can be more harmful.

2. Scare 'em with loud noise. This could be a whistle, warning shot, dog barking, etc.

3. Get ready to fire upon them. If none of the above worked, your only option is to take 'em out cause they aren't responding with fear to any other method of avoidance.

To avoid encounter. . .

1.MAKE NORMAL HUMAN NOISE! ! ! This doesn't have to be anything out of the ordinary, just normal talking, singing, whistling.

2. Build a fire

3. Keep food in vehicles at night.

4. Fire off a couple rounds while hanging out at camp.

Really not a hassle to avoid bears. Just go out, have fun and like a good boy scout. . .BE PREPARED!