Originally Posted by freefall
If brown bear carries through an attack (as opposed to a bluff charge), the odds are (they say) that it will whup you til you quit moving and then carry on about its business having nullified the threat. So playing dead is an option. If a black bear carries through an attack it means to eat you. So vigorous resistance is called for. Not to say a brownie WON'T decide to eat you once he thinks he's killed you. Waste not, want not. Or as an old friend of mine once said "Once you've knocked the bastard out you just as well take his wallet".
That's pretty much accurate. . . I don't think I want to take my chances with either. Have ya'll seen any "I Shouldn't Be Alive" videos? Getting mauled is no fun.
Bottom line, in case of encounter, is:
1. Try to make enough noise to keep predators away. Bears are always the most talked about, but Mountain Lions are total beasts and can be more harmful.
2. Scare 'em with loud noise. This could be a whistle, warning shot, dog barking, etc.
3. Get ready to fire upon them. If none of the above worked, your only option is to take 'em out cause they aren't responding with fear to any other method of avoidance.
To avoid encounter. . .
1.MAKE NORMAL HUMAN NOISE
! ! ! This doesn't have to be anything out of the ordinary, just normal talking, singing, whistling.
2. Build a fire
3. Keep food in vehicles at night.
4. Fire off a couple rounds while hanging out at camp.
Really not a hassle to avoid bears. Just go out, have fun and like a good boy scout. . .BE PREPARED!