self defense while camping - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > self defense while camping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2010, 05:47 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by taltamir View Post
why lead?
what is something inexpensive and relatively light/small to carry around with you at all times that can stop a bear? I wouldn't want to have to run looking for my shotgun since a bar can outrun me.
Considering you are looking for something to potentially save your life are you sure you want to be picky when it comes to price?

Old 07-01-2010, 05:10 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by WormDirt View Post
Considering you are looking for something to potentially save your life are you sure you want to be picky when it comes to price?
you raise a very good point. But there are a lot of things that could potentially save my life, for example, spending more on healthcare. Eating healthier, etc.
It is a balancing act using a limited budget, and I am not at the point in life where I can afford the best in all of them.

Also, sometimes a very minute improvement vastly increases prices. That being said, I guess spending a little more wouldn't kill me :P

Old 07-01-2010, 05:11 PM   #53

im pretty sure a bear would hoof it if you fired pretty much any caliber gun. Loud noises they dont like. Unless of course its a 500lb grizzly. We have small black bears in the panhandle of Florida.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:27 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surftaco View Post
im pretty sure a bear would hoof it if you fired pretty much any caliber gun. Loud noises they dont like. Unless of course its a 500lb grizzly. We have small black bears in the panhandle of Florida.
that is a very good point. a warning shot (hint: any time you accidentally miss, it was a warning shot :P) probably would send it running.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:15 PM   #55

In real bear country they come to the sound of a gun going off. A rifle shot is a dinner bell to a some bear.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:11 PM   #56

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WormDirt View Post
just dont get a kimber. you could buy 2 colts for the price of 1 kimber... just dual wield the colts...lol maybe ive been playing to much call of duty with my nephew.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:12 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by A5Mag12 View Post
In real bear country they come to the sound of a gun going off. A rifle shot is a dinner bell to a some bear.
let me get this straight. a trained hunter, with a gun, shoots an animal dead... and the bears LEARNED (this means that they survived the experience) that this means that they can just come and attack it and claim the kill? and they don't get shot?

According to nature Chanels on TV, any bear that considers humans as a source of food, that includes trash cans and stealing food from unattended campsites, is marked for death. Because he will go near humans for an easy meal and eventually actually kill a human.
So even if those bears aren't killed by the hunters, they would be killed by the park rangers.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:20 PM   #58

If they don't get the kill they at least get a good hot gut pile. And most of the country doesn't know what a park ranger is. Also the nature channel really isn't that good of a place to learn about nature.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:20 PM   #59

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The sad truth is bears will never learn to co-exist with humans and many humans don't give a rat's ass about bears. So many bears will be eliminated.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:38 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by A5Mag12 View Post
If they don't get the kill they at least get a good hot gut pile. And most of the country doesn't know what a park ranger is. Also the nature channel really isn't that good of a place to learn about nature.
i hadn't considered the guts... yea, if the hunter just cuts it out and dumps it, the bear does get a free meal.