self defense while camping - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > self defense while camping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2010, 08:38 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I think it's a waste to fire a high intensity cartridge like a .454 out of a 2 1/2" barrel. And that Super Redhawk is a BIG heavy frame no matter what the barrel length. I know Taurus has a horrid reputation on this forum, but I'd be interested in checking out their Raging Bull if I wanted a .454. If I had the $ I'd have John Linebaugh build me a .475 on my Bisley.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:51 PM   #32

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I think it would do the job if you can hold on to it. That think is a freakin cannon!
I not sure if I could stand my ground when face to face with an eight foot bear let alone hold on to the gun properly. I'm almost positive I'd be make'n poop in my pants.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:42 AM   #33

Liked 372 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Here in Cali. all we have here is rangey black bears. In my experience they have been more of a pain in the arse than a threat. Usually raise your arms in the air, clap your hands loud, and in a loud voice tell to get the eff' outta' here and they usually run off with their arse hunkered underneath them.

When tent camping never keep any food in or around your tent/camp area. Leaving food stuff in your vehicle is not a good idea either.

If the campground has those anti-bear steel food lockers around use them for all your food stuff. Also try not to set up camp near one. If not, or you're out in the wilderness, get a couple of those Kevlar canvas food bags and hoist them high up in a tree away from your camp area. If the bears have figured out in your area how to get those food bags down, and alot of areas they have, get one or more those food bear canisters and also put them up away from your camp area.

If your in the areas where they have larger bears or Grizzleys then I would go for a 12 ga. slug gun and prey you dont run across one in a bad mood.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:23 AM   #34

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Good Thread.

I take a SP101 loaded with 180 grain Buffalo Bore or Grizzly ammo when it's just me or with friends. Yes it can be painful to shoot, but not intolerable.

When the family goes it is a Redhawk with half each of Hornady's 225 grain LeverEvolution and Buffalo Bore 300gr +p+. There is always a 12 gauge or an older AK in the truck as well.

Patterson, I've seen a 200+ lb man (no slouch either) mauled by a 80 lb pit bull. It was not a pretty sight. That pit took a beating before giving up on his attack. The man sustained lacerations that if not treated promptly and properly would have been life threatening. You think you can wrestle a 140 lb bear??? WTF??? Approaching 50 one usually gains enough wisdom to deflect their own self image apart from reality. I am by no means small, quite the opposite. Thankful that God blessed me with a head upon my shoulders.

The last small bear encounter I read about took 2 rounds from a rifle 5 SG blasts and finally a 15 round mag from an officers sidearm to kill it. But hell yes I'd love to see you try.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:05 AM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 84 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter Joe View Post
I not sure if I could stand my ground when face to face with an eight foot bear let alone hold on to the gun properly. I'm almost positive I'd be make'n poop in my pants.
It would be hard to hold your bowels with an 8 foot death machine standing in front of you, 454 or not.

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 06-28-2010, 04:09 PM   #36

Probably kind of hard to hold your bladder as well.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:33 PM   #37

The S&W 500 comes in a survival kit,

It has a bear attack manual with it I believe.

Last edited by Old_sweetpea; 06-28-2010 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Didn't know you couldn't post video.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:43 PM   #38
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 702 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Were re you going camping OP? It seems I might find a place without bears. Aside from that I think your risking it with anyhting. Bear spray is supposed to work.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:28 PM   #39

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

mrm14, don't ever get too comfortable around black bears. I read a recent study that stated black bear boars are omnivorous and not opposed to eating humans.
In this study they attributed that 21 recent human kills were done by the boars and not the sows protecting their young. The boars even eat the young cubs in the spring.

From what I understand if you play dead a grizzly will most of the time kick your ass and leave, whereas, a boar black bear will eat you.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:05 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter Joe View Post
mrm14, don't ever get too comfortable around black bears. I read a recent study that stated black bear boars are omnivorous and not opposed to eating humans.
In this study they attributed that 21 recent human kills were done by the boars and not the sows protecting their young. The boars even eat the young cubs in the spring.

From what I understand if you play dead a grizzly will most of the time kick your ass and leave, whereas, a boar black bear will eat you.
hunterJoe, I've never been comfortable around these critters but I do as best I can to try to project aggressiveness towards them the three times I've encountered them in the past. So far so good. It's been 15 years since I've taken a thru hike and a few friends of mine are planning a backpack / fishing hike from Tahoe to Mammoth on the PCT late this summer and into the fall. I try to keep my backpack weight to around 35 lbs. for these ventures. As it's been quite awhile since I've done this I guess it would be a good idea to try to get a different stock (pistol grip) for my 12 ga. so that I can conceal it from rangers. Probably put me to around 42 lbs. for backpack weight though. My new backpack will accomodate up to 60 or so lbs. and carry it well, but I try to go as lite as I can. Some climbing necessary when leaving PCT to get to streams and small lakes to fish as we go. Have a .44 Mag. hunting pistol for pig but wouldn't chance it with a bear.