Scope Mount for a semi-sporterized K98
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Scope Mount for a semi-sporterized K98

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2011, 01:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Scope Mount for a semi-sporterized K98

If you frequent the relic forum you may remember when I asked for information about a K98 that was left to me by a relative. I've decided I would like to hunt with the rifle and am wondering how I could mount a scope on it. Although it has been sporterized and historical value is all but gone from the rifle, it does have sentimental value and as such, I would like to avoid heavy permanent modification. The solution I believe I found is to get something like THIS. I'm wondering if anyone has ever used a system like this or has any information about it, how reliable it is, etc. Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-18-2011, 03:32 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just be aware that if you use that mount it won't be as secure as drilled & tapped receiver and it will position the scope too far forward for proper eye relief unless you get a long eye relief scope.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 05-19-2011, 07:38 PM   #3

Never used one on my Mausers but I tried something Very similar on a Mosin Nagant 91/30.

Just like bear pointed out, mine kept shooting loose, tried loctite and every trick I know of. Most I ever got was maybe 60 rds downrange before it moved.

They sell a lot of that style mount, must be working for somebody.

This was a high-end mount, around $40.00 and I could never keep it solid. I will say that it looks good in the drawer along with my other "good ideas" that didn't quite work out. You might have better luck than I had. Ken

"The older I get, The better I was"

Old 05-19-2011, 10:06 PM   #4

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 728

If the action still has the original bolt, Front and rear sight, barrel, and even the butt plate you may be suprised at what it is worth. I know a guy that has K98 stocks stacked like cord wood. Post a pic.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:18 AM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Let's see a pic.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 05-22-2011, 12:57 AM   #6

Jpattersonnh, this is the same K98 that I posted up in relic/curio a month or so ago. The sporterized missing the front sight that was left to me by a family member who passed

EDIT:

Here is the original thread which has pictures right here

Last edited by JLesinski; 05-22-2011 at 01:03 AM.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:45 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

With the barrel cut down already, I don't think having the receiver drilled and tapped for a scope mount will hurt its value. That is, unless you want to restore it, then do not have it drilled and tapped and have a new barrel fitted. Then you can re-stock it and add all the correct parts.

Personally, I'd go for the D&T and fit a proper scope mount.

BTW, pretty good looking rifle.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 05-22-2011, 03:34 AM   #8

How long would these barrels be originally? Holding it, I would have never guessed the barrel was shortened...

Old 05-22-2011, 03:38 AM   #9

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Check with Sarco (SarcoInc.com) for a replacement barrel. You have an un-phucked K98 receiver, so restoring it would be worthwhile. A barrel and a stock with metal won't set you back too much, and once done will make for a nice, collectible Mauser. A piece of WW2 history.

So my vote is "Restore".

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 05-22-2011, 04:10 AM   #10

What would entail restoring it? Barrell, stock, what else? price estimates, value estimates?