Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Scope for 12g. slug gun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/scope-12g-slug-gun-73225/)

gmaster456 09-26-2012 07:45 PM

Scope for 12g. slug gun

I have a $60 BSA Deerhunter 25x20 but I'm looking for something a bit better. I'd like to keep the price under $120.

gmaster456 09-27-2012 07:14 PM

So no one has anything?

tri70 09-28-2012 12:54 AM

Have you considered a dot scope? If I was to mount a scope on a shotty I think I would go this route. I bird hunt mostly with a sg and rifle with scope everything else, I like Nikon and BSA is not bad. The options are narrow with the budget you have, go for clear and something durable with warranty.

Old_Crow 09-28-2012 05:22 AM

I have a BSA 2.5 fixed power scope on my shotgun. It does well, considering the abuse it gets hunting from a canoe and 4 wheeler.

gmaster456 09-29-2012 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old_Crow (Post 957312)
I have a BSA 2.5 fixed power scope on my shotgun. It does well, considering the abuse it gets hunting from a canoe and 4 wheeler.

That's the scope I have. Guess, I can just stick with it.

BRAD313 09-29-2012 02:13 AM

I used that bsa for years it was on the gun when I got it and used more then any other one I put on the gun had a NIKON and a bushnell the NIKON was better but I never had a problem with that bsa the other ones one of the inner lenses would crack guess some times simple just works LOL

BRAD313 09-29-2012 02:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Still had a pic

Old_Crow 09-30-2012 12:23 PM

Another thing is most scopes larger than 2.5x have a paralax of 100 yards. I need a scope that will handle the recoil of a shotgun with a 50 yard paralax. On the east coast it's flat out stupid to sell scopes with a 100 yard paralax. Maybe 15% of hunters need a scope focused at 100 yards. After 10 am I am done watching fields. The rest of the day I am heading into the woods. After the first few weeks I quit watching fields completely.

I would hunt fields in the afternoon but the deer usually come out after legal shooting hours. The game wardens around here don't get the point they need permission to come on private property. One game warden that was a real PITA several landowners all went to the courthouse together and pressed charges on him for trespassing. The judge threw the charges out. In turn the landowners got management permits. Come to find out he had land leased nearby. He was trying to protect his deer. To bad cause we were shooting them anytime.

JTJ 09-30-2012 01:45 PM

Several of the brands have dedicated shotgun scopes. The parallax is set from 50 to 70 yards depending on the brand. I dont use a scope on a shotgun but I like the reticles available for the 22lr. I dont know how it would hold up to recoil but I like the Konus shotgun scopes. The reticle is engraved on the glass instead of wires. If your BSA is working well, stay with it. If it aint broke dont fix it.

Old_Crow 09-30-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 959338)
Several of the brands have dedicated shotgun scopes. The parallax is set from 50 to 70 yards depending on the brand. I dont use a scope on a shotgun but I like the reticles available for the 22lr. I dont know how it would hold up to recoil but I like the Konus shotgun scopes. The reticle is engraved on the glass instead of wires. If your BSA is working well, stay with it. If it aint broke dont fix it.

Even if I was hunting with a 300 WM the distance of my shots would still be the same. I do occasionally shoot a deer at 300 yards or further with my 30/06, maybe once every 5 years or so. Why should my only choice of optics for the 30/06 be for the shot I take every 5 years. I hunt with a powerful rifle because I want to put the deer down right there. Most deer I kill are less than 10 yards from cover that is so thick one can't penetrate it without a brush ax or machete. If I shoot that deer with a 243 and everthing doesn't work out perfectly chances are slim I will recover the deer.

Even shooting round nose bullets at least once a season the bullet glances off a limb turning a perfect shot into a heart/lung or even a gut shot. The 30/06 creates a blood trail that anyone can see. I find the deer even if he runs 100 yards into thick cover.