scent control - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > scent control

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2010, 02:29 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I don't wear the scentblock clothing or any of that but I do use the spray.I think it's Scent Killer,Autumn Formula.The way I look at it is this-it smells like dirt,it's never worked against me,and it's $5 a bottle.Why not use it?I think the clothing is a scam,atleast for what people pay for it but I spray down before each hunt.I archery hunt and I'll take any possible advantage I can.I also do 98% of my hunting from the ground.It might not work at all for all I know,but it does smell like dirt and I know it's not working against me.In rifle season I usually don't worry about it as much.I may spray down some days but I don't make it a habit like I do in archery.I feel it helps.Of course,you still have to play the wind.But I feel like it cuts down on some scent and that could make or break a hunt.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:56 AM   #12

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Look You don't need all them fancy HD or 3-d camo crap from mossyoak or real tree. They are so useless it is funny. Deer don't see in color so what the hell does it matter if your camo is HD or not?

Camo is used to break up your outline. Highlight low areas and mute high areas and you become a big tree to a deer.

Sent has never been a problem for me. Hell last year I was sitting on a log with a bright yellow backpack eating an apple with nothing more then a camo jacket on that was washed in tide and in a house of two kids two adults and 5 animals. A Deer walked up and looked right at me from 60 yards didn't even see me. She sniffed the Air and started eating. Movement will tip you off before camo or sent will. How the hell did the old timers ever take a deer in a red and black plaid jacket and blue jeans and no sent killer or doe in estrus urin in a bottle?

For cloths I prefer Natural Gear myself. Still at a distance it is still a blob. Unlike the older Military woodland camo which is in my eyes the best pattern developed for hunting or fighting. You want big irregular blotches of color.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:48 AM   #13

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

1. Hunt the wind.

2. Deer see in spectrums of UV we don't. Use non-UV brightener, scent eliminator laundry detergent on hunting clothes. Everything including humans can smell your "Bounty".

3. Hunt the wind.

4. I hope I did not forget to mention hunting the wind.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-15-2010, 12:00 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I don't buy into the scent lock stuff. I do use some body soap and laundry soap that helps remove scent. I typically store all my clothing in a large zip lock bag after washing. The day before a hunt I'll pull it out, spray it with nuetral scent, usually dirt, and allow it to hang outside all night. My boots get sprayed as well and I'll using something like fox pee on the bottoms to cover my walk to the stand.
I don't know if my methods are perfect but I get a shot at more then one a year so I'm happy.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-16-2010, 02:45 AM   #15
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1243 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 591

I don't know if it works or not,but ever since I was a child hunting we were taught to put skunk lure(scent) on a piece of cloth,pin it to the bottom of your pants leg and just go about hunting as usual.
I have always done it,and most of the time have been sucessful at bagging a deer or two each season I've hunted.

The main thing is to stay downwind from your game.The wind will bust you faster than moving around.I always try to have a couple different options on where I will hunt on a given place,so I can stay downwind from the game I'm hunting.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:23 AM   #16

Liked 738 Times on 513 Posts
Likes Given: 770

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Incredible View Post
I tried searching and couldn't find anything specifically on scent control, and googling the topic brings a dizzying array of advertizements and people who seem to have drank the consumer koolaid and recommend every product available. Posters here have said its more important than what camo you choose, but WHAT is more important? What do you guys feel is worth the time and money, and what merits minimal results? Am I doomed to buy hunters soap, detergent, deer urine, masking gum, scentlock camo, and change into my gear 30 yards from the truck (lest I get exhaust fumes on it!).

I've been reading 'nature observation and animal tracking' by tom brown jr. and his recomendations boil down to sitting in front of a fire for 20 minutes, chewing on some mint leaves, and staying downwind.

I'm new to hunting, but I thought if this really was more important than the fashion statement I make in the woods it merrited a bit more discussion.
Scent block? I use Ivory soap, I do wash my clothes in scent/UV free soap. Arm and hammer makes a great one for everyday use. I wear jeans and a wool coat some times, or silence clothe camos others. I can't see a real benefit from either except warmth. Right place, right time. Know your terrain and play the wind. My Adorandack plaid wool coat is great on cold rainy or snowy days.
I rely on skill and staying warm and comfortable. I always have 2 pair of boots. One stays in my car w/ an extra pair of socks. I track and stalk. Always moving. JP

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:07 PM   #17

I just bask in campfire smoke. Animals smell smoke all the time. It totally covers your scent animals don't seem to spook at all when they smell it. I have had Bull elk walk right through the smoke of a warming fire 20 yards in front of me.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:16 PM   #18

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcat_hunter View Post
I just bask in campfire smoke. Animals smell smoke all the time. It totally covers your scent animals don't seem to spook at all when they smell it. I have had Bull elk walk right through the smoke of a warming fire 20 yards in front of me.
Indeed, best natural scent mask there is. Works on animals and humans and will stay permeated on you for days. This, along with knowing which way the wind is blowing, try to stay downwind as much as possible, but not necessary.

Take fragrant leaves or sappy branches from trees, pine is a good one, and rub them all over your clothes and skin as well as using them for camo outline breakup.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”