Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > scent control

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2010, 03:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default scent control

I tried searching and couldn't find anything specifically on scent control, and googling the topic brings a dizzying array of advertizements and people who seem to have drank the consumer koolaid and recommend every product available. Posters here have said its more important than what camo you choose, but WHAT is more important? What do you guys feel is worth the time and money, and what merits minimal results? Am I doomed to buy hunters soap, detergent, deer urine, masking gum, scentlock camo, and change into my gear 30 yards from the truck (lest I get exhaust fumes on it!).

I've been reading 'nature observation and animal tracking' by tom brown jr. and his recomendations boil down to sitting in front of a fire for 20 minutes, chewing on some mint leaves, and staying downwind.

I'm new to hunting, but I thought if this really was more important than the fashion statement I make in the woods it merrited a bit more discussion.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-06-2010, 04:32 AM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I don't buy into the scentlok clothing, the carbon reactivators, blah, blah, blah. I do have some of the no-uv brighteners laundry soap and a bottle of the no scent body wash/shampoo. I use the spray scent cover (smells like dirt) and I store my hunting clothes in a plastic bin with dirt smelling wafers.

I've had the laundry soap for 3 years and plenty left. The body wash and shampoo I've had for about 4 years and I still have 1/3 bottle left. The spray, I buy one of the big bottles every couple of years and refill the sprayers. Once the wafers lose their scent, you just put them back in the container for a couple of days and they are "recharged" so to speak.

Scent control does not need to be expensive. I know guys who buy into the new fangled clothing every couple of years and they spend literally hundreds and hundreds every time, and they are no more successful than any other hunter I know.

The old guys used to collect acorns and walnuts and such and make their own scent cover paste and spray.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 04-06-2010, 12:28 PM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Here's my thoughts on the subject. I feel that unless you stay downwind a deer is going to smell you no matter what. You MAY reduce your scent enough to where it don't alarm the deer. With very little scent it may appear to deer's noses like you're a mile away-who knows?

I take baths in diluted apple cider vinegar just before leaving the house to begin with. After 1/2 hour the smell is gone and all scent causing bacteria is destroyed. I store my hunting duds in a large garbage bag which dirt, acorns, cedar, persimmons, apples or other scents is in the bottom. I change into my gillie suit (when bowhunting) after I get out of the truck. That includes boots too. I'll rub an apple on the bottom of my boots or regular doe pee on a cloth I drag behind on the way to my stand or blind. A LOT of the time I'll hunt from the ground.

Regarding scent control clothes-1 time a buddy was wearing them from head to toe. We had already gotten out of the truck and donned our hunting duds. He farted and believe me in no way did the scent-lok clothing do ANYTHING to contain ANY of the smell. That's when I lost faith in scent control clothes.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 04-06-2010, 01:37 PM   #4

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post

He farted and believe me in no way did the scent-lok clothing do ANYTHING to contain ANY of the smell. That's when I lost faith in scent control clothes.
First time I've heard of anyone actually learning something from a fart.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:52 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm with Skull, I think scent-lock clothing is all hype. Wash your hunting clothing and your body in no scent soap. Don't wear you hunting boots to the gas station or anywhere else they can pick up smell, and don't wear your hunting clothing to the restaurant unless your trying to attract other hunters with the smell of bacon and eggs.

I seal my hunting clothes in those large plastic tubs and I throw in some pine branches for a little a natural.

Always use the wind to your favor.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:31 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1717 Times on 1240 Posts
Likes Given: 1962

Default Scent Blockers

A friend of mine who likes to drink and smokes cigerettes, and I'm sure when he gets in his stand he reeks of both. And he does smoke while on the stand. He always gets his deer. Now that's a Fart in the wind, go figure? Wills in da Swamp in La. One Shot One Kill..........

Old 04-06-2010, 05:05 PM   #7

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

The reason i practice scent control like i do is because I'm a bowhunter. When bowhunting all slightest mistakes are magnified. I've found out the hard way many times about being busted by the deer for the slightest lapse in scent control. If you can have deer downwind of you at close range without spooking them you know you're good to go.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 08-10-2010, 10:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
The reason i practice scent control like i do is because I'm a bowhunter. When bowhunting all slightest mistakes are magnified. I've found out the hard way many times about being busted by the deer for the slightest lapse in scent control. If you can have deer downwind of you at close range without spooking them you know you're good to go.
I agree. I pay a lot more attention to scent control during bow season. I have been busted anyway, but I am sure that it would happen a lot more often if I ignored scent control completely.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:39 AM   #9

I don't buy into the scent-lok clothing and carbon stuff either, to me it's a waste of money.

This year i'm going to try something different, i'm going to take my hunting clothing, camo pants and shirt, gloves, hat, mask, and socks, spray them down with scent killer(odorless). Let them set out until they dry, then take leaves, pine needles and sticks from the area i'm going to be hunting and stick them in a bag or two with my hunting clothing, put the stuff all throughout it so the scent gets around, I might do this with layer clothing as well. And not put my camo stuff on until I get to where I park and then put them on and spray myself down really well then too, and head out.

And of course another important thing to do is pay attention to the wind.

aim small, miss small

Old 08-11-2010, 01:57 AM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

I dont know how man survived without scent control, how could they possibly hunt without it?