Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Ruined Season in Maine (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/ruined-season-maine-2486/)

Fastrob 10-30-2007 02:00 AM

Ruined Season in Maine

The wife and I both shot deer in the morning the first day.
What a feeling of loss.
All the work; blinds, brassicas plot, clean hunting clothes, sighting in weapons.
The children can use some encouragement so maybe this is for the best.
Out of state hunting is not an option so maybe at the mention of my name the partridge will tremble, ha.

R

1984cj 10-30-2007 03:04 AM

I take it that Maine only allows Xamount of deer to be shot in a season per person?
I am sorry to hear that.

Tilt 10-30-2007 08:11 AM

Isn't that what all the hard work was for? Yeah, It would have been more fun to have been able to hunt at least a few more times. A few years ago on opening morning I took along my video camera and I sit at the base of a tree. At about 8:30 a nice 8 point walks out about 25 yards form me and I start the video, I have the cross hairs on him and I pause and end up with a little over an hour worth of video. I figured I would get him tomorrow or the next day, so I wasn't worried about letting him walk that morning. First one thing would come up and then an other and I didn't get to hunt for a few weeks. That ended up being the only deer I saw all season. Now I kick my self for not taking him while I had the chance. I would rather do all the work and limit out on the first day than not get a chance later on.

Fastrob 11-19-2007 03:59 AM

Thankful

We just got our meat back from the butcher: 2 pigs, 2 deer.
I am thankful for my blessings.
The freezer is full. Still have some time to help the kids get one.

R

wagonwheel 01-17-2008 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1984cj (Post 11183)
I take it that Maine only allows Xamount of deer to be shot in a season per person?
I am sorry to hear that.

Does alabama not have a limit?

1984cj 01-17-2008 09:30 PM

Alabama has a new this year buck limit of 3, one of which must have 4 points on one side, and no doe limit. The daily limit is 2 only one of which may be antlerd.

I expect that in a few years we may have a tag system in place for bucks but not for now.

We also have a long season, essentialy from Thanksgiving to Jan 31.

Duck 01-18-2008 01:43 AM

Georgia has a limit of 10 does and 2 bucks. I hunted all season and got one doe.

jeepejeep 01-18-2008 01:50 AM

Sorry but I don't feel too bad for you. All season all's I saw was a spike and it's illegal in my area to shoot spikes. Saw a few doe during bow season but always too far. Terrible season in NY where I hunt.

Fastrob 01-18-2008 05:40 AM

Bring them In

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepejeep (Post 14450)
Sorry but I don't feel too bad for you. All season all's I saw was a spike and it's illegal in my area to shoot spikes. Saw a few doe during bow season but always too far. Terrible season in NY where I hunt.

We did some planting. Here it is not considered baiting.
Brassicas do not sweeten up until after a few frosts. Cost $45 a bag.
Bought some lime $2. and some fertilizer $5 and we scratched the dirt up a bit.
The wife was making cookies, looked out the window, went out the front, around to the back and shot one. The twin came over to my ground blind.
Now is the time of year to get the blinds on clearance at Wally World, Dicks, etc.
Work with someone; kids, friend or wife to make it fun.
Call it your "Deer Garden" and they will come.
Heck it does not even have to be your land.

R

jeepejeep 01-18-2008 02:32 PM

I tried planting some clover but I'm on a VERY limited budget and could only work the soil with hand equipment and have to carry everything in by hand. Gets tiring carrying all that lime and fertilizer! It didn't come up very good. Plus I live over two hours from where I hunt and can't maintain the plot like it needs. Baiting is illegal as is supplimental feeding such as those feeders that spread corn,etc. around and mineral blocks are illegal too. Thanks for your suggestions though.