Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Ruger Blackhawk Hunter or T/C Encore?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ruger Blackhawk Hunter or T/C Encore?

I am thinking of picking up a hunting handgun for whitetail deer here in Michigan. I take a. 30-06 rifle out, but think It would be exciting to take one with a handgun. I would get the Ruger in 44 mag, the T/C I am unsure. I can't seem to find either to get my hands on though to at least fondle. Any one have any opinions/advice?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-25-2013, 07:28 PM   #2

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boddah4
I would get the Ruger in 44 mag, the T/C I am unsure. I can't seem to find either to get my hands on though to at least fondle. Any one have any opinions/advice?
The Ruger SBH in .44 mag is a very popular choice as a hunting handgun and will handle the heaviest hunting loads you can find. One thing I notice is that a lot of people prefer the Blackhawk with the Bisley style grips. They supposedly absorb the heavy recoil better than the typical SA "plow handle" grips.

As far as the TC I assume you are talking about their single shot pistol? Again, this is a popular choice for hunting. Personally, if you decide to go this route I would look at a rifle caliber chambering, otherwise why not just go with the revolver? There are a couple good choices for deer sized game in the TC but one of the more popular is the .30-30. If you get into hand loading, you can even use pointed bullets in the TC.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:33 PM   #3

Yes, those are the two I am torn between.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:48 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Boddah4: I have both (Well Contenders) and must say that I use both regularly and would hate to give up either. I would say to make your decision on how you intend to use the handguns. If I go to a stand where shots will be 100+ yards I grab the Contender; If I am going into the woods where distance is limited then it is one of my Blackhawks. Typically when I go to my hunting club I will take both and grab the one which is appropriate for the stand I will hunt. It is not uncommon for me to use one in the morning and the other in the afternoon. One thing is for sure, if you buy one sooner or later you will want the other!

Old 09-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1488 Times on 1007 Posts
Likes Given: 515

I never use a handgun as my primary weapon when I am hunting. I have killed a few deer with a handgun. Often deer hunting is only part of the adventure. It's like deer can see that you don't have a long gun in hand.

A friend keeps a rifle on his combine. He has killed two nice B&C scoring bucks while on the combine. Shooting from farm equipment is considered fair chase and your buck is scored.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 09-09-2013, 05:13 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have and use both and they have very different propose as I see it. The single action revolver is faster and with practice good to 150 yards, I mean alot of practice. My longest kill was bat 135 on a deer quartering away from me. I have kill deer at 90 + yards running a crossed in front of me. I used to shoot a min of 200 rounds per week and usual 400 to 500 rounds. The Encore is not good at all for off hand shooting but with a rest will reach out a lot farther. My longest kill with my 357 Max. was 175 yards but it is good to 200 I`m sure. If your going to carry it with a rifle the Super Black Hawk is the only way to go. If your hunting fairly heavy cover it`s still the best. For more open country where shots could be a 75 yards plus the Encore would be the best choice. I always carry it when I`m going to be on a stand.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 09-16-2013, 04:44 AM   #7

Liked 280 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boddah4 View Post
I am thinking of picking up a hunting handgun for whitetail deer here in Michigan. I take a. 30-06 rifle out, but think It would be exciting to take one with a handgun. I would get the Ruger in 44 mag, the T/C I am unsure. I can't seem to find either to get my hands on though to at least fondle. Any one have any opinions/advice?
Where in Michigan are you at? Im planning on thaking my 629 hunting this year.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #8

Arenac County

Old 09-17-2013, 06:56 AM   #9

Liked 280 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Im in GrandRapids. But will be heading to Barry county for my deer this season.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:35 PM   #10

Liked 694 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 716

For most handgun hunting, a 50 yard shot would be extremely acceptable. I would not attempt one unless using something like an encore w/ a rifle cartridge at 100 yards. Don't believe a 135 yard or 175 yard shot is normal.
With a 158..160gr out of a .357 max and a 75 yard zero (assuming you have a scope) There is a 13.9" drop at 125 yards w/ a 7" barrel, which I believe the Black hawk has. It also has about 525FPE at 125 yards. Not the best of circumstances. At 175 yards.. well not realistic at all.

I use a simple S&W Model 19 .357 w/ a 6" barrel and iron sights. I used a Ruger Black Hawk in .357, 7" barrel and a scope for a few years, but found the S&W more accurate, faster to handle, lighter, and so smooth in operation it really puts the Ruger to shame. I sold the Ruger. A TC in 7-30 Waters would be a great addition.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.