Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Roe Overpopulation (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/roe-overpopulation-98212/)

Jagermeister 10-05-2013 06:09 PM

Roe Overpopulation

5 Attachment(s)
I shot a roe buck standing, unsupported at a hundred meters today. He was running from whatever startled him. He is actually a good size buck, but does not have antlers showing. Maybe two years old. That is because when there is too much Roe in one Revier, their antlers do not grow. This one came from a neighboring revier. This is an important reason why hunting is necessary. Overpopulation is unhealthy for the animal kingdom. Roe also eat the tips of pine trees, which damages the forest. Too many Roe means unhealthy trees and dying forests. I have also included some pics of local hunting butcher's meat locker. My harvest is the one in the front with a hook through it's mouth. The locker had Roe, Red Deer, boar and pheasant.

MisterMcCool 10-05-2013 06:24 PM

Did you shoot him with a canon? :p

What kind of bird is that?

mountainman13 10-05-2013 06:24 PM

I thought roe was fish eggs. Lol
Good shooting.

Jagermeister 10-05-2013 06:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The bird is a pheasant.

Yes, that is the entrance wound. I shot the buck with a .308 Win. round. I normally use 180 grain SP from S & B. We can not use lead ammo anymore, so I am buying reloaded ammo from my friend. He uses Barnes 130 grain X bullets. He has perfected his round for speed, accuracy and a flatter trajectory. Finally, a cartridge that can keep up with my skills. :p The round is awesome for large boar. The deer suffered no pain, it died before hitting the ground. The trauma from the bullet striking even broke one it's legs. I call it my perfect sniper round. ;)

FrontierTCB 10-05-2013 07:25 PM

Great shot. I doubt I'd have the confidence (nads) to take that shot. Sounds like there definitely needs to be some thinning of the herd over there.

hq357 10-06-2013 01:04 AM

What are you gonna do with that deer?

kryptar19 10-06-2013 01:09 AM

Somehow I don't think that your family will go hungry.

MisterMcCool 10-06-2013 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hq357
What are you gonna do with that deer?

Really? :confused:

phildenton 10-06-2013 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jagermeister (Post 1393315)
The bird is a pheasant.

Yes, that is the entrance wound. I shot the buck with a .308 Win. round. I normally use 180 grain SP from S & B. We can not use lead ammo anymore, so I am buying reloaded ammo from my friend. He uses Barnes 130 grain X bullets. He has perfected his round for speed, accuracy and a flatter trajectory. Finally, a cartridge that can keep up with my skills. :p The round is awesome for large boar. The deer suffered no pain, it died before hitting the ground. The trauma from the bullet striking even broke one it's legs. I call it my perfect sniper round. ;)

wait, no more lead? thats lame. i like my lead bullets, and lead shot. cheaper and more efficient. there is a minor anti-lead movement in some parts of the usa. i figure that the shot dead critter doesnt have to worry about getting sick from lead poisoning .

Vikingdad 10-06-2013 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phildenton (Post 1393636)
wait, no more lead? thats lame. i like my lead bullets, and lead shot. cheaper and more efficient. there is a minor anti-lead movement in some parts of the usa. i figure that the shot dead critter doesnt have to worry about getting sick from lead poisoning .

Don't disregard the "minor" anti-lead movement here. It is heading your way.