Revolver Hunting - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Revolver Hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2008, 02:18 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

That's the beauty of a good six gun. Does just as well takin out desperado's as it does deer. I carry a Ruger Flattop in .44 special whenever I'm in the woods. It's not my primary method of hunting, but it has put more than a few deer in the freezer, not to mention turkeys and grouse.

"The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us“ ...... Patrick Henry March 23, 1775

Old 03-27-2008, 03:01 AM   #12

I've killed Deer with .357 Mag, .44 mag, 10mm and 454 casull.
Most impressive is the 454 on a Bear and a Wild European Hog! Puts a smiley on my face.

Accuracy first! You can't miss fast enough to win! :D :)

Old 05-14-2008, 05:27 PM   #13

I usually carry a Ruger Redhawk 44mag as a sidearm.I've finished a deer off with it but never actually shot one with it.One morning I left it at camp,I just didn't feel like lugging it around.I get in my climber,not 10 yards away a nice buck walks up to my front right.Would have been a perfect shot with the Redhawk and dummie me I leave it in camp.That won't happen again.

***** NRA Patron Member *****

Old 05-14-2008, 06:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
A better question should be what CAN'T you hunt with a revolver-especially with .454 casull,.460 S&W,.500 S&W on market. I havn't seen anything yet that my .454 casull won't put down quickly.

I couldn't agree with you more .454 casull,.460 s&w,500 s&w and you also have the oldie but goodie .44 mag the original big banger

IN A WORLD OF COMPROMISE SOME DON'T H&K
GOD BLESS THE SECOND AMENDMENT :D :D
GOD BLESS THE NRA :D :D
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
VOTE PRO GUN ONLY
SUPPORT THE SECOND AMENDMENT

Old 07-03-2008, 10:36 PM   #15

Been hunting deer with a 41 Mag for years. I really like this round.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:39 AM   #16
J_B

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Will be using my S&W 629 6"

You can hunt

Whitetail
Mulie
Black Bear
Elk
Moose
Hogs
Antelope (if you can get close enough)

Yep, you can hunt most anything with a .44 Magnum in single action or double action of even single shot like a T/C Encore.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:39 PM   #17

i dont think so..but the most amazing is to huntin any animal with a 12 gauge pump action shotgun..like 101..lol...only big animals like deers and wild pigs(they are difficult to find em and they need at least 4 shots at body to die) beaucse the small goin get mashed

Old 11-22-2008, 08:27 PM   #18

One of the fun things to do is go squirrel hunting with a .22 pistol. It is more of a challenge and improves your stalking skills.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:17 PM   #19

Never went out purposely with a pistol, but always carry one with me when I hunt. Used to be my Ruger Blackhawk 22 mag, now it’s my S&W J frame 38. Did put a mighty big boar down with the 38, but that was an OMG shoot it or fight it. Wasn’t out hunting that day, but like American Express, I never leave home with it.

An armed society is a safe society.

It's easier to get forgiveness than permission.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:55 AM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I take Whitetail every year with a SS Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 mag. I have a non-magnifying "red dot" type sight (OneV) mounted on it. I've had this setup for quire some time and I'm not sure the OneV is still manufactured. It is an adjustable brightness red dot 'reflex' type.

The nice thing about the OneV is the lack of parallax. Where the red dot is, the impact is. I don't unload on game over 100 yards without a rest. I have taken most of my venison at ranges under 50 yards. Some running, most standing.

The older I get the more hesitant I am to drop the hammer on anything. I'm at the point now that killing a deer is just making a job for myself. The biggest part of hunting is now the simple and quiet joy of interacting with nature.

Actually that's mostly BS - I like making the one-shot kills with the .44 and the beanfield/pipeline shots with the 7mm STW. Especially since I'm using loads I worked up myself. I just mark the location and call one of the younger guys in camp to come 'help'.

And yes, communing with nature is still a rewarding part of the experience. But so is making that 40 acre shot!